Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Why New Order ROCK

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

Why New Order ROCK

Postby MARV » Thu May 05, 2005 5:44 pm

It is'nt enough that they - a rock band, for all intents and purposes - have the all time selling 12" single in dance music history. That they established this fact more than two decades ago and that in 20+ years, not one dance artist has been able to top this feat of mega proportions. For every Taborah, Amber or freakin' Esthero record that sells, there are 5,000 Blue Monday records that have been sold. And that does'nt even touch the rest of their discography. But whatever. It's not enough that they released punk, rock, alt. rock, Brit. rock, dance records over the years, since the seventies. Or that they have Peter Saville in their corner designing some of the most profound and influential album/CD sleeves. Don't even get me started on their Hacienda club. How there would'nt have been a rave scene had it not been for Barney & co. I could go on.
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Thu May 05, 2005 5:45 pm

But this is why New Order R-O-C-K.
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Thu May 05, 2005 5:47 pm

Because when they perform their art live, Hooky's bass goes through you in exaltation. Stephen's drums announce every song with such an authoritative furor that it evokes an emotional response tantamount to epiphany. The keyboards escalate in ethereal perfection. But above all, Barney's poetic, lyrical, sometimes simplistic-sometimes deep-always make you think words paint pictures in your mind of symphonic perfection. The layered and harmonious melodies stir your soul and you realize yeah, this is what it's about.
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Thu May 05, 2005 5:48 pm

And Hooky plays that damned bass hanging down to his knees. His growl is the perfect counter to Barney's pop croon. The interaction with the audience. With eachother. Stephen's relentless beating the shit out of those drums. And the new guy Cunningham is'nt all that bad. He provides a fresh rock guitar edge to the N/O backdrop.
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Thu May 05, 2005 5:58 pm

New Order are an amalgamation of inter genre splicing and crossover (see my firstpost). And at their age, after all these years, to keep up with the demands of touring, promotion then going back to the studio to start recording more all the while trying to stay fresh and attractive to the fickle & narrow minded music industry as a whole.....it's just mind boggling. And yet they do it.

Really people, is it any wonder that of all the eighties acts we talk about, New Order are one of the few bands still making any music at all, relevant or otherwise? And I assure you, their brand of music is most notably relevant, if the presence of Moby and Interpol at tonight's festivities are to demonstrate anything at all. You see, it is precisely because Moby and Interpol grews up with N/O in their diet that they are ground breaking in their own right. And this is how it should be. Relevant artists influencing new relevant artists. Interpol sitting in a booth at one of NYC's most high profile clubs with some of the hottest broads you ever saw in your life sitting in their laps. The new guys paying homage to the elders.
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Thu May 05, 2005 5:59 pm

New Order, elder statesmen of relevant pop music.

Period.
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Thu May 05, 2005 9:10 pm

I concur. [:I]
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby 2Nu » Thu May 05, 2005 9:54 pm

Hey Marv, after all that was said, ya left out one leetle detail....
<MARQUEE><h1>DID YA HAVE FUN DUDE?</h1></MARQUEE>
2Nu
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Fri May 06, 2005 1:05 am

^ oh yeah, you know it ^

[8D]
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby Bitter Almonds » Fri May 06, 2005 1:40 am

I dis-agree. They used to be real good many many years ago. Last full-length album that fits these descriptions was 1989's [i]Technique[/i]. Everything that came after was sparse and inconsistent (to the point where one wouldn't know the full track listing in order of these subsequent albums). They are not worth the 13$ for the new album, not anymore, much less the 100$ they command to hear them play for an hour at a festival. I'll gladly stick with Steely Dan, Rush, and Roxy Music who are a little older and certainly better established Rock bands, not to mention more considerate of their fanbase by giving them proper live shows worth their hard cash.
Bitter Almonds
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Fri May 06, 2005 1:55 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by XXX[/i]
<br>I dis-agree. They used to be real good many many years ago. Last full-length album that fits these descriptions was 1989's [i]Technique[/i]. Everything that came after was sparse and inconsistent (to the point where one wouldn't know the full track listing in order of these subsequent albums). They are not worth the 13$ for the new album, not anymore, much less the 100$ they command to hear them play for an hour at a festival. I'll gladly stick with Steely Dan, Rush, and Roxy Music who are a little older and certainly better established Rock bands, not to mention more considerate of their fanbase by giving them proper live shows worth their hard cash.
[/quote]

I agree that the 2 recent albums pale in comparison to their previous work, but there are good songs on both of them (Run Wild, Krafty).And think how hard it is to maintain the level of excellence that they have achieved for 10-15 years. I would say that last night's version of Temptation is as good as they have ever done.
The Hammerstein venue was not a festival event,the sound was excellent, we had great views, and were very comfortable in the mezzanine. Did you see the set list? More than half of it was pre-1988 songs, including 4 Classic Joy Division songs. And the ticket price was about $40 if you don't count the TicketBastard fees.
If you're an oldtime JD/NO fan I believe you would have had a great time last night. Yes, they are playing more festival gigs, and unfortunately this is probably one of the last times it will be possible to see NO in a small venue in the USA. Try renting the DVD when it comes out and see what you think!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby SwampThing » Fri May 06, 2005 2:00 am

[quote]I dis-agree. They used to be real good many many years ago. Last full-length album that fits these descriptions was 1989's Technique.[/quote] Yep see the poll http://www.nwoutpost.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5765

I purchased every 12" and proper release through Technique, after that I stopped. Doesn't make me any less of a fan, they just don't meet my expectations anymore. I'm probably guilty of holding them to a higher standard because their earlier material kicked so much ass!!!!
SwampThing
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Fri May 06, 2005 2:21 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by XXX[/i]
<br>I dis-agree. They used to be real good many many years ago. Last full-length album that fits these descriptions was 1989's [i]Technique[/i]. Everything that came after was sparse and inconsistent (to the point where one wouldn't know the full track listing in order of these subsequent albums). They are not worth the 13$ for the new album, not anymore, much less the 100$ they command to hear them play for an hour at a festival. I'll gladly stick with Steely Dan, Rush, and Roxy Music who are a little older and certainly better established Rock bands, not to mention more considerate of their fanbase by giving them proper live shows worth their hard cash.
[/quote]

You're off kilter. If you don't like New Order now, you were never a real New Order fan. Why are they inconsistent, because they have a more rock sound? Go back to Power-Corruption-Lies, Low Life, Brotherhood, um...Joy Division, Warsaw and tell me they are'nt doing the same thing. True, the seminal dance masterpiece of Technique was highly seductive but you can't expect them to ignore an entire heritage of moody & rock driven loveliness and hooks.

I see a most consistent band. It's all there, you just have to get past the 'newness' that every band has to do in order to survive. Hooky's escalating and melodic bass lines, Barney's staccato guitar strumming, Stephen's persistent drum sequenced like performance.

You see, for many years - all of the 80's and almost all of the nineties, they completely did an about face on their Joy Division roots. Now they're acknowledging them and this is good. They need this for closure. They need this to mature as artists and people. And they need to show the fans that yeah, this is who we are and we like it so we're not gonna pretend the Ian Curtis thing never happened. The obvious Joy Division texture in their music now weaves a more complex sonic tapestry. To me, this is New Order as they are meant to be. Comfortable in their skins at middle age, not giving a fucking shit what anybody says about them, and well seasoned.
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Fri May 06, 2005 2:30 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by SwampThing[/i]
<br>[quote]I dis-agree. They used to be real good many many years ago. Last full-length album that fits these descriptions was 1989's Technique.[/quote] Yep see the poll http://www.nwoutpost.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5765

I purchased every 12" and proper release through Technique, after that I stopped. Doesn't make me any less of a fan, they just don't meet my expectations anymore. I'm probably guilty of holding them to a higher standard because their earlier material kicked so much ass!!!!
[/quote]

I appreciate your POV but I have to point out that just as a band has to evolve throughout their career, a true fan has to grow with them and understand the changes an artist must go through in order to maintain personal artistic satisfaction.

You say Technique was your favorite album but was'nt Republic a true extension of Technique? Listen to World, Spooky, Liar. Could they not have been on the same album as Run, Mr. Disco, Vanishing Point, and Dream Attack? You could almost make a new album out of these seven tracks. I don't see how anyone could not like Republic if they like Technique.
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Fri May 06, 2005 2:34 am

And as far $100 tix for festivals like Coachella go, I guess that's the price you have to pay to see a few dozen bands. Seems a darn good deal to me.....
MARV
Room at the Top

Next

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews