Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Why New Order ROCK

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

Postby Bitter Almonds » Fri May 06, 2005 2:36 am

But that's the thing, Marv. They're literally not showing their fans when all they did in SoCal is a one-hour gig at a festival - and it was 100 bucks a ticket. This is hardly Rock band material anymore. I've seen better promoting and touring from Hair Metal bands. If they were to do anything more, it would probably smack of U2. I just don't see the same dedication to their American fans from NewOrder anymore. Heck, Rush has not cut a great album in well over a decade as well, and even then it was all about the impending doom of a nuclear holocaust as usual, but you know what? Their 3-hour live shows completely leave most other bands, NewOrder included, dusted and obliterated... and how old are Geddy and co.? 60? To me, they have made themselves the measure by which live shows and touring should be like. They didn't change that. As a fan of the 80s, I can only dream of seeing NewOrder back in the 80s when they were still accessible to more fans and not these blue-bloods who forgot their roots... or did they always sparsely play live?
Bitter Almonds
Room at the Top

Postby Bitter Almonds » Fri May 06, 2005 2:38 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by marvymarv[/i]
<br>And as far $100 tix for festivals like Coachella go, I guess that's the price you have to pay to see a few dozen bands. Seems a darn good deal to me.....
[/quote]

Not that good of a deal. It was in the desert and over half of those "bands" most couldn't care less for. Seems like the latter half of that line-up were djs anyway.
Bitter Almonds
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Fri May 06, 2005 2:43 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by XXX[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by marvymarv[/i]
<br>And as far $100 tix for festivals like Coachella go, I guess that's the price you have to pay to see a few dozen bands. Seems a darn good deal to me.....
[/quote]

Not that good of a deal. It was in the desert and over half of those "bands" most couldn't care less for. Seems like the latter half of that line-up were djs anyway.
[/quote]

Hm. A difference of opinion I suppose. I'dpay $100 to see New Order, NIN and Gang of Four even if they all did a one hour set each. Just those 3 bands alone. Everything else is simply bonus material as far as I'm concerned.

But what is it about festivals that bother you so much? I wish we had them in the NY area, where I live. NO are big into festivals in Europe. Festivals seem to be a big thing there. And no one seems to mind.....
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby Bitter Almonds » Fri May 06, 2005 2:52 am

I just don't care for most of those bands. I used to like NIN, about 10 years ago. Gang of Four would've been great, but, again, I'd rather see each play their own bona fide gig. I wanted to see NewOrder do their own show down here. I'd pay the same amount the festival charges to hear them play live for two hours at a better venue than middle-of-nowhere, Coachella. It's a matter of preference, of course.
Bitter Almonds
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Fri May 06, 2005 3:07 am

Yeah, I think I might be slightly annoyed if all I saw was one hour of N/O amidst a mass field of mediocrity. Hm. I'm sorry you could'nt get a true New Order concert out there.
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby SwampThing » Fri May 06, 2005 3:54 am

Marv - Your points are well taken. Your loyal to the point where your going to have a positive opinion about their works no matter what. I find myself skipping tracks on all releases after Technique, I do like most of Republic, but the last two only a handful of tracks between them. I don't analyze the artists intentions, transformations, style changes etc. If I like it I like, If I don't I don't.
SwampThing
Room at the Top

Postby 2Nu » Fri May 06, 2005 3:58 am

<br>Yeah, I think I might be slightly annoyed if all I saw was one hour of N/O amidst a mass field of mediocrity. Hm. I'm sorry you could'nt get a true New Order concert out there.
[/quote]Yep, That's what I got back in '89 (NO, Pixies, Love & Rockets @NJ BB Arena)
No floor seats, horrible acoustics, a strung out lineup, what a letdown, sighhh...[V]

P.S. 'Technique' was my last N.O. album purchase as well..
2Nu
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Sat May 07, 2005 6:49 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by 2Nu[/i]
<br>Yeah, I think I might be slightly annoyed if all I saw was one hour of N/O amidst a mass field of mediocrity. Hm. I'm sorry you could'nt get a true New Order concert out there.
[/quote]Yep, That's what I got back in '89 (NO, Pixies, Love & Rockets @NJ BB Arena)
No floor seats, horrible acoustics, a strung out lineup, what a letdown, sighhh...[V]

P.S. 'Technique' was my last N.O. album purchase as well..
[/quote]

Dude, send me your address. You're getting Republic in the mail. Followed by Get Ready and Waiting For the Sirens. I'll walk you through them.
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby ebbhead » Mon May 09, 2005 7:53 am

I guess I have some questions about some of the counterpoints people made about post-Technique NO.

How many of you all continued to buy new releases into the 1990s and devour them like you did in the 80s? Did you continue to buy and love post-80s albums from Morrissey, Depeche Mode, U2 (or insert name here)? How much do you think it might have been the sociological tendency of people to think that the best music ever released was from their own ages 15-22?

As more and more distractions get piled onto your lives, do you really have time to devour albums? To spend an hour reading along with the lyrics sheet? Do you spend an afternoon staring at and decoding the album cover? Do you put headphones on and your head under the cover to listen to an album as you're going to sleep? Probably not, as we all have to deal with a list that includes things like jobs, kids, spouses, parents who are aging, commutes, mortgages, credit card debt, orthodontia bills, etc.

I was at the show marvymarv described and I have to say that I agree that they still got it. Imperfect and flawed, but wonderfully human.

Tho I can understand the frustrations of not getting a proper non-festival gig. I'm just thrilled we got one here in NY, as LA seems to get all the one-off opportunities.
ebbhead
The Jet Set

Postby MARV » Mon May 09, 2005 2:02 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by ebbhead[/i]
<br>I guess I have some questions about some of the counterpoints people made about post-Technique NO.

How many of you all continued to buy new releases into the 1990s and devour them like you did in the 80s? Did you continue to buy and love post-80s albums from Morrissey, Depeche Mode, U2 (or insert name here)? How much do you think it might have been the sociological tendency of people to think that the best music ever released was from their own ages 15-22?

As more and more distractions get piled onto your lives, do you really have time to devour albums? To spend an hour reading along with the lyrics sheet? Do you spend an afternoon staring at and decoding the album cover? Do you put headphones on and your head under the cover to listen to an album as you're going to sleep? Probably not, as we all have to deal with a list that includes things like jobs, kids, spouses, parents who are aging, commutes, mortgages, credit card debt, orthodontia bills, etc.

I was at the show marvymarv described and I have to say that I agree that they still got it. Imperfect and flawed, but wonderfully human.

Tho I can understand the frustrations of not getting a proper non-festival gig. I'm just thrilled we got one here in NY, as LA seems to get all the one-off opportunities.
[/quote]

These are worthy questions ebbhead. Frankly, I do not have the time I once had as a youth to spend hours at a time listening to music, analyzing lyrics, following growth patterns in the art, etc. I'm a grown up now with grown up responsibilites. To a certain extent, I follow the bands that I do out of habit as they are ones from my youth. I do still listen to Depeche Mode, New Order, Pet Shop Boys, Morrissey. I was the most passionate about them as a kid and still am today but it's not hard to be so because they never stopped making music. (It's very easy to pose an argument that because of this they're not simply 80's bands anymore but that's probably fodder for another discussion.) And mostly good music but I'll try and keep my answers objective [:D] Seriously though, they have to have some degree of talent and appeal to still be selling records and concert tix 20 years after their so called heydays.....

But I would'nt say I devoured them the way I once did. Again, who has the time? And your sociological / psychological theory does have credibility. I'm not blind to that. But I do listen to tons of other musics that I never listened to then. Check me out on the Hub.
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby Panorama » Mon May 09, 2005 6:12 pm

The new CD is pretty great. My wife loves New Order and picked up their latest offering about a week ago and I think it is their best in about 15 years.
Panorama
Room at the Top

Postby 2Nu » Mon May 09, 2005 11:00 pm

<br>Dude, send me your address. You're getting Republic in the mail. Followed by Get Ready and Waiting For the Sirens. I'll walk you through them.
[/quote]
Check Your email [;)]
2Nu
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Tue May 10, 2005 12:36 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by 2Nu[/i]
<br>Dude, send me your address. You're getting Republic in the mail. Followed by Get Ready and Waiting For the Sirens. I'll walk you through them.
[/quote]
Check Your email [;)]
[/quote]

Consider it done 2nu. I'll be happy to hook you up as you have often done for me. [8D]
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby Berserker » Wed May 11, 2005 6:05 am

<br>Because when they perform their art live, Hooky's bass goes through you in exaltation. Stephen's drums announce every song with such an authoritative furor that it evokes an emotional response tantamount to epiphany. The keyboards escalate in ethereal perfection. But above all, Barney's poetic, lyrical, sometimes simplistic-sometimes deep-always make you think words paint pictures in your mind of symphonic perfection. The layered and harmonious melodies stir your soul and you realize yeah, this is what it's about.
[/quote]Interesting. I'm glad you like them so passionately, but in the 20+ years I've been going to gigs, New Order tops the list as the worst live act I've ever seen.
Berserker
The Jet Set

Postby MARV » Wed May 11, 2005 6:48 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Berserker[/i]
<br>Because when they perform their art live, Hooky's bass goes through you in exaltation. Stephen's drums announce every song with such an authoritative furor that it evokes an emotional response tantamount to epiphany. The keyboards escalate in ethereal perfection. But above all, Barney's poetic, lyrical, sometimes simplistic-sometimes deep-always make you think words paint pictures in your mind of symphonic perfection. The layered and harmonious melodies stir your soul and you realize yeah, this is what it's about.
[/quote]Interesting. I'm glad you like them so passionately, but in the 20+ years I've been going to gigs, New Order tops the list as the worst live act I've ever seen.
[/quote]

Well that's unfortunate Berserker. And while the technical prowess - and the importance thereof - of a musician in a live situation can be endlessly debated, there is the entirely 'get it' factor which apparently is out of your grasp. It's hard to argue why a style of music has appeal just as it's hard to argue why a fashion choice has appeal. But when one 'gets' why New Order style of music is so infectious, then one can easily overlook the minor flaws that they, as any other artist performing live, may have.

But I wonder why you feel their live acts are so poor. To what standard do you measure New Order?
MARV
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews