Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Name the best and worst concerts you've attended

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

Postby i_like_lectric_motors » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:44 pm

Best - Melvins/Isis/Halfway To Gone.
Nashville Pussy.
Faith No More.
Interpol/Calla/The Static Age.
Guided By Voices/Southern Culture On The Skids.

Worst - Aerosmith.
Blondie (as part of the Escape From NY tour w/ Ramones and Tom
Tom Club).

Most Violent - Nitzer Ebb of all people. Wasn't expecting that at all.

[:D]
i_like_lectric_motors
Room at the Top

Postby edisonoside » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:41 am

For the best - There are too many to list. So I'll just do a few.

* Peter Murphy - I had the best view. I was right up front and center of the stage.
* Skinny Puppy - At Avalon 2004. GREAT show! Great video backdrop.
* KRAFTWERK 2005 - THE BEST CONCERT OF MY LIFE!
* Ministry and The Young Gods - Lots of energy in that show.
* Specimen - Very dark and theatrical.
* Gary Numan 2003 - Hearing that voice in real life was spinetingling.

Most Boring - The Police in Foxboro Stadium 1983. Not because of the bands but because of the crowd. The Fix & A Flock of Seagulls opened, The Fix was great! A Flock of Seagulls was booed off-stage and when the Police came on I was talking to friends and not paying attention at all and then I left in the middle of their set.
edisonoside
Room at the Top

Postby Ollie Stench » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:01 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by waukena[/i]
Jazz Odyssey: Written by Derek, this instrumental premiered at Themeland Amusement Park in Stockton, California, during the 1982 tour despite David's reluctance to "do a free-form jazz exploration in front of a festival crowd."
As it turned out, only a sparse crowd was on hand to witness...

the page is all messy after that, I must have gotten a finger sandwich wrapped up in there...

[/quote]

I saw a documentary about that show. It seemed pretty bad. And you'd think a band with that much history would know better than to attempt freeform jazz. I'll bet a shit sandwich would have been better!
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby n/a13 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:54 am

Best - OMD, while opening for the Thompson Twins, at Nassau Coliseum. They (OMD) said they "had to go." Seems "they" were afraid they might upstage the Twins.

Worst - Depeche Mode - NYC - Madison Square Garden. All Gahan did was move to the front of the stage & attempt to gyrate. It was pretty embarrassing to watch.
n/a13
Personal Jesus

Postby JimBailey66 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:09 am

Best shows:

1) Graham Parker Solo in 1999
2) Jonathan Richman with band in 1996
3) Marshall Crenshaw solo in 1998
4) INXS in 1987
5) The Ramones in 1992
6) Special Beat (Ranking Roger and company)in 1990
7) Uncle Tupelo in 1990
8) Dread Zeppelin and The Strawberry Zots (1990)
9) David Byrne in 1997
10)Pat DiNizio in 1998
11) The Smithereens in 1986, 1988, 1990, 1994
12) Richard Thompson with band in 2000
13) Graham Parker and The Figgs in 1996 or 1997
14) Roddy Frame in 1993
15) The Fixx in 2003
16) Peter Murphy in 2000
17) Love and Rocket in 1989
18) Depeche Mode in 1990

Worst show?

The Romantics. Horrible. The drummer couldn't keep time.
JimBailey66
Running Up That Hill

Postby human clone » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:04 am

Best:
Erasure - Phantasmagorical Tour
Pet Shop Boys - Performance Tour
Depeche Mode - Black Celebration Tour

Worst:
Sinead O'Connor - I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got Tour
human clone
Personal Jesus

Postby scottrainey » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:10 pm

Best had to be the reunited Duran Duran at the Rose Garden in Portland, Oregon, March of 2005. The guys looked and sounded great.

A close #2 would be A Flock of Seagulls at La Luna, also in Portland, around 1996 or so. Mike Score seemed to be having such a ball with all of us (then) late twenties and early thirties fans singing along to every classic at the top of our lungs. He seemed genuinely grateful to the audience, and my perception was that he's a pretty nice guy.

Okay, indulge me for a third: Harry Connick, Jr. at the Arlene Schnitzer Auditorium in Portland, 2003, I believe. The man is a master showman, vocalist, and pianist. And his rapport with the audience was second to none.

Worst? Has to be Modern English in 1996. The band phoned in the performance, and Robbie Grey acted as if it were beneath him to sing any song that might be recognizable to the general public.

Second worst was Missing Persons, 1996, La Luna. Poor Dale Bozzio looked like someone's mom who'd had too many whiskey sours before Oprah came on, and acted that way, too. Honestly, she actually spent about half her time onstage nursing some kind of alcoholic bevvie. However, a really cool (and bizarre) thing happened at the end of the show. Ms. Lush, er, Bozzio, came out after the encore to announce that it was her son's 6th birthday that day, and she intended to share the cake with the audience. Now, there were several hundred people in attendance (I'm guessing), but I was up at the stage, so I got a plate of cake. For Dale Bozzio's son's birthday.

Too weird.
scottrainey
Running Up That Hill

Postby stella » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:57 am

I've been to a lot of concerts. Picking a best and worst from recent history (last 10 years)

Lucinda Williams, Cowboy Junkies, electric HotTuna, all at the fillmore. Pearl Jam Sacramento in, I think 2002.
stella
Personal Jesus

Postby brock » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:56 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by stella[/i]
<br>
Lucinda Williams, Cowboy Junkies, electric HotTuna, all at the fillmore. Pearl Jam Sacramento in, I think 2002.
[/quote]So are these BEST or WORST? The Fillmore is a great place to see a show, so I'm guessing BEST.

OK - I'll step up to the plate:
BEST - Los Lobos opening for X in 1984 at The Arlington Theatre downtown Santa Barbara. I had no idea who or what LL was, but they got the whole house dancin'.
My dormmates and I had seats on the aisle on the 15th row. Between acts, ushers were holding people at the 16th row. Sensing that X were going to take the stage, we sprinted to the front, then all hell broke loose as the ushers could no longer hold the crowd back. As we guessed, X immediately took the stage and the moshing began. I got slammed to no end, but everytime, multiple people got me back on my feet. Nice, unexpected gestures.
WORST - Tie between Cocteau Twins in '95 at Slim's(?) in SF and Eek A Mouse in '96 somewhere in SF. I think we left early both times.
brock
Personal Jesus

Postby davew » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:14 am

lots of great shows but ill keep it to one
the jam at the ritz 1982 nyc

worst:
psychedelic furs were awful live
saw stiff little fingers(great band!)disentegrate onstage...drummer walked off 1/2 way thru disgusted.

in the category of worst cliched metal with falsetto vocals: wasp & mercyful fate.

in the category of killer bands who disapointed live at the end of their(mid 80s careers)gang of four,undertones,madness.
davew
Switchin' to Glide

Postby vco » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:39 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by Cee[/i]
<br>Best - OMD, while opening for the Thompson Twins, at Nassau Coliseum. They (OMD) said they "had to go." Seems "they" were afraid they might upstage the Twins.

Worst - Depeche Mode - NYC - Madison Square Garden. All Gahan did was move to the front of the stage & attempt to gyrate. It was pretty embarrassing to watch.

[/quote]

Was this during DM's tour promoting the singles collection? I saw them in Dallas and I swear Dave dances like Ed Grimley moves.
vco
Take On Me

Postby vco » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:47 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by scottrainey[/i]
Worst? Has to be Modern English in 1996. The band phoned in the performance, and Robbie Grey acted as if it were beneath him to sing any song that might be recognizable to the general public.
[/quote]

Agreed. I saw them in Dallas on that tour (I think Robbie was the only original member left) and they played some kind of alterna-punk schlock while he gyrated. The crowd stood by as if they were watching a golfing event and gave the polite golf applause while chatting over drinks. Then he gave in towards the very end and perfomed "Melt With You." The place went crazy for that 1 song. So nice for him to throw everyone a bone after an hour of crap no one cared about or got into. They could have at least played some other material from "After the Snow."
vco
Take On Me

Postby n/a13 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:43 pm

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by vco:

Was this during DM's tour promoting the singles collection? I saw them in Dallas and I swear Dave dances like Ed Grimley moves.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know; never paid attention to the tours by name. I think it was mid-80s & Nitzer Ebb opened for them. I remember they were touring the following year with OMD opening, but I refused to see Depeche Mode again.
n/a13
Personal Jesus

Postby Bitter Almonds » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:30 am

Add two more Chris Isaak shows[8D] I saw him at Humphreys again and at the OC Fair this summer. Real kickin show. This time around he did a cover of Cheap Trick's "I Want You To Want Me" and added a country-styled novelty to it impossible by most any other Country-Western act currently in the bigtime. Of course, the place was estrogencity, lotta lookers there, but the show itself is a blast. Highly recommend him if he ever shows in your neck of the woods[8D]
Bitter Almonds
Room at the Top

Postby ezweiseg » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:51 am

Best Concert..Almost a religous experience U2 The Joshua Tree Tour 1987 at Madison Square Garden. A close second..Peter Murphy Acoustic Alive She Cried show in Philly.

Worst Concert...New Order 1989 at Jones Beach in NY. It was the only concert I walked out on. They hated being there and stayed in one place while they looked at their feet.
ezweiseg
Switchin' to Glide

PreviousNext

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews