Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Dragonette at the Canal Room NYC

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

Dragonette at the Canal Room NYC

Postby schwenko » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:34 am

This nu-wavish band from Canada opened for New Order at the Hammerstein Ballroom last May, and was quite impressive.
Anyone in the NYC area interested in going? It's tomorrow night, Sept 15th, and they are said to come on at 9:30PM as part of the CMJ thingy;Let me know, i have some connections!

http://www.canalroomlive.com/calendar.html#

http://dragonette.com/
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:42 am

Sorry Schwenk, I'm all booked for tomorrow night. Have a great time though! I want to know all about it. Were you and Blir with me when I saw her (the lead singer) walking out of the Ballroom's back exit or was that before you guys met up with me?
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:48 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by marvymarv[/i]
<br>Sorry Schwenk, I'm all booked for tomorrow night. Have a great time though! I want to know all about it. Were you and Blir with me when I saw her (the lead singer) walking out of the Ballroom's back exit or was that before you guys met up with me?

[/quote]

We were all there marv- ask Hooky!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:20 am

[:D][:D][:D][8D][:D][:D][:D]
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:12 pm

Just back from the show; another great performance.
This group opened for New Order in NYC last May.
Tonight I was on the guest list, so I had to go!
They did a short set (maybe 30 minutes, 6-7 songs).
They have a sultry, sex kitten for a lead singer; the band reminds me quite a bit of Blondie. In May they had another member (woman), and I thought they had a splash of Human League/Ladytron, but tonight seemed more guitar based sound (and missing the second woman).
The Canal Room is literally just that, a big room (but not very big). I estimate that maybe 250-300 people could fit in there. So of course I was able to get quite close with no real problem, making for a great concert experience.
They are playing in Montreal in a few weeks (?home base), and STATEN ISLAND on Oct 1 with The killers, BSP, Interpol, etc.
And they have a EP available for sale on their web site:

http://www.dragonette.com/
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:02 pm

Schwenko you dog. NOW I know why you were so interested in seeing them! They were indeed pretty good, but I actually liked that second woman. The first one might have been the kitten but the second one had that kinda nasty look about her. She's also the one who who had the friendly smile and chat with us back by the stage door afterwards. I woulda been disappointed.

So which version was preferred? Or just different and equally good?
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:17 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by Blir[/i]
<br>Schwenko you dog. NOW I know why you were so interested in seeing them! They were indeed pretty good, but I actually liked that second woman. The first one might have been the kitten but the second one had that kinda nasty look about her. She's also the one who who had the friendly smile and chat with us back by the stage door afterwards. I woulda been disappointed.

So which version was preferred? Or just different and equally good?
[/quote]

I like them both- they seemed more electro in May (check out the sound clips on their website), and of course you are correct, the blonde was very easy on the eyes !
At the Canal Room I was 20 feet away from them, and it was possible to get even closer if I really wanted to. Not like the football field's length at the Hammerstein.
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:35 pm

I thought we chatted with the black haired girl backstage. And she was a cutie, IMO.
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:10 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by marvymarv[/i]
<br>I thought we chatted with the black haired girl backstage. And she was a cutie, IMO.
[/quote]
I could sweat it was the blond. Check out the very last group picture on their website in their photos section. [:p]

Oops, "swear" not "sweat". Hmm, and actually we might be talking about both. While you were waiting at the railing with your tongue hanging out for the NO boys, the blond came up behind us.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:57 pm

from Dragonette.com

FREE SHOW IN NYC FRIDAY SEPT 30 5PM
SATURDAY OCT 1 SHOW MOVED TO SUNDAY OCT 2

Hey All....
We're playing a Billboard Magazine private showcase set in NYC this coming Friday.
The show is at Knitting Factory Tap Bar and you can get on the guest list by emailing us HERE.
Knitting Factory Tap Bar is at 74 Leonard Street, and we're on shortly after 5pm....Happy Hour show.

We've moved our Saturday set at Staten Island to Sunday at Coney Island. We'll be on at 3pm.
Beck is headlining that day.
Tickets are available through TICKETMASTER

Hope you're all doing well, and look forward to seeing you this weekend.

Dragonette

as always, you can email us at info@dragonette.com
schwenko
Room at the Top

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews