Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Coffee Wars

Reserved for off-topic posts.

Coffee Wars

Postby zill » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:59 am

After years of being a diehard Tim Horton's fan during my east coast university days, my relocation to the west coast precipitated a rapid transition to Starbucks. Recently, though, the new McDonalds premium roast coffee has won me over, leaving me asking "What is the best cup of coffee in Vancouver?"

To be fair, I think you have to compare apples to apples, so my thoughts that follow are only focused on straight forward drip/filter coffee...no foo foo drinks loaded with caramel or chocolate. We're talking manly man's coffee here, the stufff that'll put hair on your chest.

Starbucks

Coffee Mecca or purveyor of overpriced sludge? In my younger days, it was pretty easy to become addicted to the intense caffeine goodness of Starbucks, especially when you’re trying to pick your ass up after a long night of rioting. Er, partying.

The most annoying thing about Starbucks is the proliferation of fancy, expensive foo foo drinks, which also slow down the espresso machine service. Why don't you try an americano...watch out, you might actually taste the coffee in your coffee!!!

A drip coffee at Starbucks will run you $2.05 including tax. It will be consistent from location to location, hot, served with a sleeve and strong enough to strip the paint off your car. The caffeine content has got to be at the upper end of the legal limits. One Starbucks and my hands start to shake. It’s like drinking liquid cocaine. The coffee is usually so bitter it invokes a frown and a quick shake of the head, but after a few sips when you start to feel the infusion of caffeine your body is craving, you stop noticing the taste.

Starbucks does a lot right and for caffeine content alone, I'll give it 3.5 beans out of 5. I would have scored it higher in my younger days, but lately it just leaves me a bit too jittery and the flavour is a bit much. And did I mention the super laxative effect!

More to follow.
zill
Room at the Top

Postby wherewereuin82 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:34 pm

But, when MacDonald's coffee is no longer $1 after August, do you go back to Timmy's?

I still like my cup o'crack a la Tim's. Iced coffee is another thing. MacDonald's wins hands down.
wherewereuin82
Room at the Top

Postby coop41 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:19 pm

As bizarre as this may be, I tried coffee one time in my life. This, combined with no longer playing golf or having a Facebook page apparently makes me some sort of social misfit.
coop41
Room at the Top

Postby tiger_mn » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:14 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by coop41[/i]
<br>As bizarre as this may be, I tried coffee one time in my life. This, combined with no longer playing golf or having a Facebook page apparently makes me some sort of social misfit.
[/quote]

I've had one sip, so you've probably had more than me. But having a FB page, I'm not the Boo Radley you are.
tiger_mn
The Jet Set

Postby zill » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:35 am

McDonald’s

McDonalds is extremely convenient for me, being just around the block from my house, with plenty of free parking (that's a big deal in Vancouver). At $1.87 including tax, it scores high on value. The cups are freakin' amazing...the insulation keeps my beverage hot long after my commute is over. The new McDonalds coffee tastes like how I imagine coffee should taste - strong but not in a tongue-curling bitter way. On the caffeine front, it definitely perks me up but not so much that I'm jittery. And it has a moderately pleasing laxative factor.

The downside is that living in a city of coffee snobs, it isn't cool to drink McDonalds. Just try it, people!

I'll give it 4 beans out of 5, for value, taste and those great cups.
zill
Room at the Top

Postby zill » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:39 am

Tim Horton’s

Tim’s is as much a part of Canadian culture as hockey. There’s nothing like a steaming hot coffee to warm you up from those frigid Canadian winters, a delicious maple dip doughnut (donut for Americans), a bowl of soup...and in eastern Canada you can't walk two blocks without running into one. My hometown of 10,000 people has at least seven Tim Horton's stores.

Tim’s is a fairly new entrant to the Vancouver coffee market, and suddenly they’re everywhere. Could their coffee still be as good as I remember? I've tried to push the nostalgia aside and just focus on the coffee. Hmm, it's not easy to get to Tim's because they don't seem to have any locations in my part of town that have parking. That's inconvenient, and at $1.95, I can’t even afford the quarter for the parking meter!

I remember back in the day Tim’s only sold coffee and doughnuts, and only took cash. Now there’s a wide assortment of soups and sandwiches and everyone pays by chip card and OMFG it is painstakingly S-L-O-W. When I finally get my coffee, I burn my fingers on the paper thin cup. Not so good when you have to carry your coffee two blocks back to your illegally parked car.

When I finally taste my coffee, it’s a major disappointment. In fact, I would say that Tim's coffee sort of tastes like dirty water. I think there's a little bit of coffee in there somewhere but it’s weak. It provided a mild level of stimulation, but the caffeine content seems low. Fortunately I have a freezer filled with red bull at the office.

I'll give it 2.5 beans out of 5, based on nostalgia.

Americans - think Dunkin' Donuts
zill
Room at the Top

Postby zill » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:41 am

Blenz

Blenz is another Canadian chain, but try as they might they will never match Tim’s full integration into Canadian culture. It’s probably due to a lack of doughnuts…and the menu of effeminate tea drinks and smoothies. Wait a second, Blenz is a Vancouver/west coast phenomenon! No wonder there are so many pink and pastel green drinks on offer!

Blenz is a coffee shop for people who don't want to taste their coffee but disguise it as much as possible.

I don’t know why you’d go to Blenz. It has no distinctive feel. It has no hipster quality or comfy lounge chairs. It feels sterile and cold and the servers are eastern European language school students, not indie bohemians from Commercial Drive.

By all measures, it is a weak imitation of Tim’s. 1 bean out of 5.
zill
Room at the Top

Postby gpow » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:33 am

Lee's Sandwich is another nice chain if you stop near any vietnamese community
gpow
Take On Me

Postby SwampThing » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:02 am

Spent five days in Vancouver/Whistler last week. Went to several Tim Hortons and the customer service was the worst. I ordered hot cocoa for my kids, the lady told me they didn't have that. I changed my order to Hot Chocolate and she was able to ring that up. I then ordered a 20-pack of Donut holes, they didn't have those either. I changed my order to a 20-pack of "Timbits", and she was able to ring that up. I then ordered a drink they were promoting on a big display next to where the line forms. She wasn't unable to ring that up without the help of another employee. The line was out the door. This person would never be allowed to work at a Starbucks. She wasn't friendly or fast. No thanks or have a nice day, just dumbfounded looks.

This is why Starbucks kick ass, they value your time, their goal is to get you your coffee as quickly as possible.

<font size="1></font>
SwampThing
Room at the Top

Return to —Not Necessarily New Wave—