Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

req: Torch Song 2 LP's

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

req: Torch Song 2 LP's

Postby fictionfactory1984 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:47 pm

Hi everyone! How is it going? Can anybody help me with a decent rip of both Torch Song LP's (Wish Thing and Ecstasy)?
Been looking for these ones for a while, specially for a UK vinyl rip of Wish Thing in decent quality.

Thanks to everyone :D
fictionfactory1984
Take On Me

Re: req: Torch Song 2 LP's

Postby Uvox » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:17 am

Discogs says, Torch Song had more than two LPs:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/10950-Torch-Song

THREE of their releases, 1984-1987, can be found at the below link:

Wish Thing \FLAC,
Ecstasy\ MP3 256
Exhibit A\ FLAC.

Not sure if Wish thing is a UK version, some tracks here are of different length to other versions, like "Don't look now" is 07:41, a minute longer than in other versions - is that a UK's?

I have the other version of Wish thing in lower quality, MP3 192, downloaded from this forum a couple of years ago.

https://mega.nz/folder/pcUEnZCI#wHJ6x5T5-vMNfJ3pmRw0Gg
Last edited by Uvox on Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby fictionfactory1984 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:17 am

Thanks for this share! The UK version is the one with Don't Look Now ticking at 6:40 more or less, some songs have different mixes in this one. By the way, Exhibit A is a compilation of songs of both albums (Wish Thing and Ecstasy) and Ecstasy wasn't released outside the UK! How bad that none of the albums have seen a CD reissue yet :(
fictionfactory1984
Take On Me

Postby Uvox » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:51 am

[quote="fictionfactory1984"]Exhibit A is a compilation of songs of both albums (Wish Thing and Ecstasy) /quote]

According to Discogs comments, many tracks here are edits from 12"s or elsewhere, not original tracks from the other albums

https://www.discogs.com/Torch-Song-Exhi ... ter/131688
Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby fictionfactory1984 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:54 am

You're right! I'll give it a listen later. I've never heard Exhibit A as I thought it was just a compilation of the two previous records. Thanks for the information :o
fictionfactory1984
Take On Me

Postby crichert » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:04 am

Thanks for the share, Uvox.

Uvox wrote:Discogs says, Torch Song had more than two LPs:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/10950-Torch-Song

THREE of their releases, 1984-1987, can be found at the below link:

Wish Thing \FLAC,
Ecstasy\ MP3 256
Exhibit A\ FLAC.

Not sure if Wish thing is a UK version, some tracks here are of different length to other versions, like "Don't look now" is 07:41, a minute longer than in other versions - is that a UK's?

I have the other version of Wish thing in lower quality, MP3 192, downloaded from this forum a couple of years ago.

https://mega.nz/folder/pcUEnZCI#wHJ6x5T5-vMNfJ3pmRw0Gg
crichert
Room at the Top

Postby the_moth » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:40 pm

Thank you! What an innovative sound this band had!
Wish someone would rip the Japanese Exhibit A CD at some point!
the_moth
Take On Me

Postby LPCDMP3 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:17 am

William Orbit doesn't seem very much interested in remastering and re-releasing the Torch Song material, which is a shame. Wish he would.
"Don't Look Now" and "Tattered Dress" are different versions on the UK and USA LP's.
LPCDMP3
Take On Me

Postby Uvox » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:07 pm

LPCDMP3 wrote:William Orbit doesn't seem very much interested in remastering and re-releasing the Torch Song material, which is a shame. Wish he would.

In another decade, some Cherry Red or Repertoire, or other re-releasers will be printing this band' Cds and LPs with coloured vynil. Nothing new.
Remaster ? remastering kills music, all music collectors would kill for first press, not for remaster.
Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby PKPN » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:19 am

I made my own lossless transfer of the Wish Thing US LP. It is way better than that badly auto-declicked version posted earlier. However, the distortion and clicks on the first track are baked in! I guess it's just a bad mastering. I wonder how they managed to mess that up so bad. I think it is the same way on the "Tattered Dress" 12".

I'm also sharing someone else's rip of the Exhibit A CD.

PKPN
Take On Me

Postby crichert » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:12 pm

Thanks PKPN!!
crichert
Room at the Top

Postby the_moth » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:40 pm

PKPN wrote:I made my own lossless transfer of the Wish Thing US LP. It is way better than that badly auto-declicked version posted earlier. However, the distortion and clicks on the first track are baked in! I guess it's just a bad mastering. I wonder how they managed to mess that up so bad. I think it is the same way on the "Tattered Dress" 12".

I'm also sharing someone else's rip of the Exhibit A CD.

Wow, being one of my favorite bands I have been waiting for a rip of this quality for ages, can't thank you enough for this! :o
the_moth
Take On Me

Postby discoginfo » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:59 am

I have the first album from master tapes. I bought a CD-R in 2012, the seller said: "This was from the original master tapes that were issued from a fan club several years ago in wave file format."
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Return to Obscure 80s Central