Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Original Hanging on telephone?

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Original Hanging on telephone?

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sun May 25, 2003 5:51 am

Has anyone ever come across the 1976 recording of Hangin' on the Telephone done by The Nerves, fronted by Peter Case prior to the Plimsouls? This was before Blondie did it. I'd love to find/get a copy.

Cheers, Mike
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby savethewave » Sun May 25, 2003 9:40 am

It's on one of those "DIY" collections (one of the "American Power Pop" ones, I think) that Rhino put out a few years ago. They still surface in the bargain bins.
savethewave
The Jet Set

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sun May 25, 2003 10:01 am

LOL, I can't believe someone responded so fast. I am humbled by the knowledge on this board! Thanks!!
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Spaz » Mon May 26, 2003 7:58 am

Jack Lee actually wrote and sang that Nerves track. Case was a member as well as Paul Collins. What a band....
Spaz
The Jet Set

Postby XTC » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:07 am

I saw Blondie on her last tour in Seattle....I loved it! Debra was AWESOME! I had FUN! saw the CREATURES the next week.

"Who me?"
XTC
Take On Me

Postby emoglassesgirl » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:56 am

hi everyone:

those of you who have never heard the song can listen to the nerves' hanging on the telephone and most of their ep album on http://www.paulcollinsbeat.com which is the website for paul collins from the nerves and the beat. apparently debor
emoglassesgirl
Running Up That Hill

Postby brock » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:21 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by emoglassesgirl[/i]
<br>hi everyone:

those of you who have never heard the song can listen to the nerves'
brock
Personal Jesus

Postby WolverineSyr » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:26 am

Jack Lee is one of my favorites - as were The Nerves. Jack's original version of Come Back & Stay (later covered by Paul Young) is astounding.
I'm pretty fond of the Plimsouls & Paul Collins too. I guess I prefer Jack because he never found a lot of
WolverineSyr
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:13 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by WolverineSyr[/i]
<br>Anyways Blir - do you still need a copy of Hanging on the Telephone? I've got it.
<hr
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby WolverineSyr » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:38 am

Never even checked that date out!

I probably downloaded the ep from you...I really need to pay better attention to these things...
WolverineSyr
Room at the Top

Return to Obscure 80s Central