Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Your cut out and keep guide to filehosts

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Your cut out and keep guide to filehosts

Postby eddie » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:58 pm

YOUR GUIDE TO FILEHOSTS

we transfer - everyone knows how it works

sendgb - works similar to wetransfer, 7 days only

from smash - was great now unreliable

zippyshare - unusable to an increasing number of countries was fantastic

workupload free to use, if you register, you get 50gb for free. Be VERY careful about how you name files don't make them obvious dates/venues/titles are a dead give away to them and they do take down.

mega - it claims to offer 50gb permanent but others are saying it doesn't. I can clear up the confusion. If you have an old account - i registered mine but didn't use it a long while back just so i could download more - then you have and will keep the free 50gb. If you register today you get 50gb which after ? reverts to 15 and you can then increase it by referring people to mega but they must also register etc. Worth registering for 15gb though.

mediafire - 10gb free if you register, a pain in the arse for takedowns but up and down it's fast.

filefactory - if you pay and enable traffic share it's phenomenal (we'll ignore the lost files once in a while), otherwise it stores stuff for 90 days and it's fairly slow downloads. If you see it on guitars101 it is being used for cashback purposes as part of their affiliate scheme.

Rapidgator and turbobit - only used by cashbackers, should have their keyboards blown up.

pcloud - 10gb free to register, personally i love it and the next one

sync.com - 5gb free to register, fast up, like a rocket down. Never had a problem with either of those two.

google drive - 15gb free, if you have a google mail account, use it to log in. If you are expecting heavy downloading google will shut it down. If you copy and paste others google drive links you should be ashamed of yourself.

icedrive claims 20gb free to register but really it's 10gb, another one of those hardly anyone knows about

jottacloud - 5gb free

upthere.com - 20gb free ceased it was incredible

cozy.io - french based 5gb free again might not be suited to sharing

mimedia.com - 10 gb free, might not be suited to sharing

box.com - 10gb free. Up to 250mb files only and monthly traffic is limited to 10gb.

microsoft one drive - just don't go there. Moody.

zoho.com 5gb free not built for sharing

jumpshare - 2gb free

dropbox - 2gb free will shut down heavy downloads

degoo - 100gb free but suspicious for sharing ok for personal long term storage though

yandex - not to be trusted with anything you care about, owned by russians

letsupload.co - claims unlimited, isn't, it is 100gb. If you want to share any files though the only way is to make them searchable by anyone! Doesn't keep those files long either.

4 shared 15gb free but apparently a lot of pop ups

deposit files - still works but i don't use it so good luck.

others to avoid: blomp, bitrix, skycloud, habox, idrive, hidrive.
Last edited by eddie on Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
apf? southern boy? borntorun99? yazoost? Fucking joke? Definitely.
eddie
The Jet Set

Re: Your cut out and keep guide to filehosts

Postby musfan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:46 pm

This is awesome, thank you! Something to add:

Any thoughts on krakenfiles, fireload, bayfiles? Also uploaded (omitted, or same comments as rapidshare?)
musfan
Personal Jesus

Postby humanracer » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:50 pm

Thanks very helpful.
I almost got a virus visiting a mediafire link from Guitars101. No idea if it was that site or mediafire to blame but make sure you have good anti virus
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby retromusic » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:52 pm

Thanks, Eddie. Appreciate the effort.
Musfan, you just beat me to krakenfiles, which I was about to mention. Here's their blurb:

Welcome to KrakenFiles.com. We are free file hosting where everyone can store any files as long as it possible. We want to show why Kraken is best place to share music, videos, images and docs with other users. Be sure that Kraken is not just a file hosting but somthing more...

KrakenFiles is 100% FREE
No Download Limits and transfer speed
You can store Up to 500 MB per File
We offer unlimited Disk Space for your files
NO annoying ads
retromusic
Personal Jesus

Postby eddie » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:51 pm

Thanks for the positive comments.

That was written over 12 months ago though I went through it last night before I posted to make sure there were no disastrous changes. Krakenfiles I will have a go with later today if I can think of something. Bayfiles and fireload aren't ones I am familiar with either. Uploaded is much too slow for downloaders for my preference but i should have at least had it on the list. There's also something from poland called chomikuj.pl which is again great for personal storage but not sharing. It does seem to be unlimited (I've got 100gb+ on there of video as it's good with big files). You do get bombarded with ads for games but not maliciously but I would have to write some proper instructions just for that host as it's really complicated until you get used to it.

Mediafire and viruses - did the guitars101 link go through something called tinyurl? That would likely be the culprit if so or adfly which is what the reliquary blog used to use (ha ha, had to fill my legal obligation of laughing at him being taken down there, the thieving *******).

edit: i tried kraken files. Now the first attempt gave up after about 38% BUT that might have been my fault as I'm downloading roughly 20gb of XTC at the moment. Second attempt seems to have uploaded fine, good fast speed, interface is very similar to (the wonderful) pcloud. Echoes of zippyshare with the 500mb limit. Means that unless you split them which is just making work then it's no use for big flacs but plenty of 90 minute gigs come in under 500mb in flac. Result in the Simple Minds upload.
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby Uvox » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:40 am

when looking for a record in the web, I often see links to USENET.NL. It is a pay archive of, they say, lots of rare files, including music. Did anyone have any experience of using it? if so, is it worth paying for it?
Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:56 am

Uvox wrote:when looking for a record in the web, I often see links to USENET.NL. It is a pay archive of, they say, lots of rare files, including music. Did anyone have any experience of using it? if so, is it worth paying for it?

Usenet is a old method of file sharing which goes back the 80s as this was the main way people exchanged messages. You can get free trials (please ensure you remember to cancel) for companies that offer access and search engines, I have used Easynews a few times.
However it's unlikely they have the rare files you seek. This is because some of these sites are just trying to get you to sign up for a Usenet subscription and probably get commission for this. The only thing I have found on Usenet is some out of print compilation CDs but nothing mega rare.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:58 am

I actually like the fact Wetransfer deletes the files after some time because I would rather not have those files hanging around forever.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:07 am

eddie wrote:Thanks for the positive comments.

That was written over 12 months ago though I went through it last night before I posted to make sure there were no disastrous changes. Krakenfiles I will have a go with later today if I can think of something. Bayfiles and fireload aren't ones I am familiar with either. Uploaded is much too slow for downloaders for my preference but i should have at least had it on the list. There's also something from poland called chomikuj.pl which is again great for personal storage but not sharing. It does seem to be unlimited (I've got 100gb+ on there of video as it's good with big files). You do get bombarded with ads for games but not maliciously but I would have to write some proper instructions just for that host as it's really complicated until you get used to it.

Mediafire and viruses - did the guitars101 link go through something called tinyurl? That would likely be the culprit if so or adfly which is what the reliquary blog used to use (ha ha, had to fill my legal obligation of laughing at him being taken down there, the thieving *******).

edit: i tried kraken files. Now the first attempt gave up after about 38% BUT that might have been my fault as I'm downloading roughly 20gb of XTC at the moment. Second attempt seems to have uploaded fine, good fast speed, interface is very similar to (the wonderful) pcloud. Echoes of zippyshare with the 500mb limit. Means that unless you split them which is just making work then it's no use for big flacs but plenty of 90 minute gigs come in under 500mb in flac. Result in the Simple Minds upload.

Some Polish friends used chomikuj.pl. You used to be able to download the files for free but now it will ask you to send a text message which includes a fee.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:35 am

yeah I've only ever used it for myself and the video isn't stuff I would be sharing. The only other place I've seen it is someone who has tonnes of stuff up but gave out his password so you could clear it out which I did. Some of the HL stuff came from him and he had some H17/OMD also which i got down.

There is one other option which isn't really a file host but is amazingly handy because google doesn't index it so it won't show up in searches. So you can avoid unwanted eyes and unwanted downloaders without worrying. I know that is vague. I'm going to be downloading from it all afternoon partly because it's slow but it seems to have become the weapon of choice for those with real rarities. Not found any Howard on it yet though.

edit : just checked my friends chomikuj and it's working fine with no demands for payment.

Listened to the first couple of hours of xtc stuff, wow, I feel like I've been in the studio with them, stunning stuff.
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:42 pm

It seems we can now add syncplicity to the user list as they appear to have sorted out sharing problems. They have certainly sorted out uploading problems.

So Syncplicity, 10 gb free, nice speed uploading, easy to navigate and ok downloads.
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby AJWAVE » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:31 pm

eddie wrote:It seems we can now add syncplicity to the user list as they appear to have sorted out sharing problems. They have certainly sorted out uploading problems.

So Syncplicity, 10 gb free, nice speed uploading, easy to navigate and ok downloads.

Thanks for the info. You're right with the File factory tip; the Download speed changes considerably.
Are you going to start screwing over Redo like you screwed over MSK with your endless requests? what an idiot you turned out to be MATT
AJWAVE
Room at the Top

Return to Obscure 80s Central