Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Share: One night in Bangkok

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Share: One night in Bangkok

Postby Uvox » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:32 am

been to CHESS musical this weekend, what a nice and nostalgic spectacle! Top notch music, like almost everything Bjorn and Benny did.
Seems to be the only musical show about the cold war times?

Memories of the past brought to life from my vaults an extended version 12" single of ONE NIGHT IN BANGKOK, B-side of which is another track from the show.

By the way, some call it "musical", some - "rock opera". What is the difference, what is your guess? I always referred to Jesus Christ Superstar as "rock opera", only because of Ian Gillan ( and some other rock stars?) singing.........

Have a listen - and visit the musical:-)

https://mega.nz/folder/1ctnkKrD#5Q7k1W55DX_SIqE-nThyDQ
Uvox
The Jet Set

Re: Share: One night in Bangkok

Postby PKPN » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:47 pm

Thanks. I always loved the B-side ("Merano"). Back when Pizza Hut had jukeboxes, I knew of one that had the Bangkok 45 in it, and I would always play the B-side. The restaurant staff would always be kind of freaked out by it.

FWIW, anyone looking to complete their collection:

• The 5:02 original recording is on the Chess soundtrack CD, which is out of print. The 2014 remastered reissue is fetching insane prices now.
  • The 4:06 ("3:54") hit single version was released in 2016 on Hard to Find 45s on CD - Vol. 16: More 80s Essentials & Beyond.
  • There's an obscure 3:15 edit on the B-side of the 1984 US promo 12". The sleeve says "U.S. Radio Edit", but the labels don't mention version info. The A-side contains the hit single version; the B-side just has the intro cut off. I would say they are both technically the "U.S. Radio Edit", but for my digital collection I am only saying the 3:15 version is. DjPaulT ripped this 12" in 2015 for his blog, but gave the mixes dubious names and added the 12" version from another record.

The main body of the song is exactly the same in all versions and starts with a closed hi-hat and Murray Head's vocal "Bangkok! Oriental setting". The soundtrack version has a 1:47 orchestral intro, the final note of which forms the down beat of the main song (right before the hi-hat) and fades out over the next two seconds. The hit single version instead starts with a 52-second intro consisting of an electronic drum fill, an instrumental part, and a chorus, and then has a synth horn stab which fades out quickly over the "Bang" lyric. The 3:15 edit just begins right at that stab.
PKPN
Take On Me

Postby maccafan076 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:03 pm

Thank you. I love this song and I haven't heard that B side since the 80s. Thanks for the info on the various edts too.
maccafan076
The Jet Set

Postby bigarbel » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:10 pm

The original 7 inch version, as released in Europe, is different from the later released US Version. The European 7 Inch starts with a shortened orchestral intro. It is edited from the Album Version.

https://mega.nz/file/ORdEmJhB#oEoymyq8Q ... 7eMvZsruRo

To my ears the U.S. Radio Edit seems to be taking a middle part of the 12 inch and tacks it to the start. I only heard that version a few years ago. I am wondering if it was even released on 7 inch at the time or just on the promo that DJPaulT posted.
bigarbel
Take On Me

Postby PKPN » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:45 pm

bigarbel wrote:The original 7 inch version, as released in Europe, is different from the later released US Version.

Ah, I thought it was the same version worldwide, but I stand corrected!

This also explains the "3:54" timing on the labels. Thanks for the share.
PKPN
Take On Me

Return to Obscure 80s Central