Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

SHARE: Yello - I Love You

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

SHARE: Yello - I Love You

Postby PKPN » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:53 pm

I'm trying to get a handle on all of the original versions of "I Love You" by Yello. So far this is what I've come up with [corrected based on info later in this thread]:

Maybe check your copies and see if this matches up, or if there are other editions not accounted for.

Also, there are several edits of the Extended Dance Version:
  • 3:07 version labeled 7" Version on the US "Special AOR Mix" promo 12" but never actually released on 7".
  • 4:07 1986 version from The New Mix in One Go. It is edited in a way similar to the 3:07 version but has been sped up. This was also released in 1989 as a "Blazing Saddles" B-side. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pmKGftauCw
  • 5:12 2005 CD album version labeled 12" Mix (Club Mix on streaming) but never actually released on 12". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK_ev_ha2-A

I am sharing my own rip of the US promo 12" and US 7" here:
You can still get DjPaulT's rip of the commercial US 12" here:

I've found that the mastering of the Extended Dance Version on vinyl seems to vary. Some editions, like the US & UK 12", sound fine. Others, like the US promo 12" and the German 12" of "Lost Again", have a tiny bit less reverb in the cowbell breaks (e.g. around 2:19). The difference is subtle and really only affects this part of the song. I think this may be due to the use of a dynamic range expander to reduce tape hiss when making copies, rather than being a different mix.

As for the different short versions, I looked for previous mentions in the forum and found these two threads:
In the latter thread, I'm not sure what to make of the comment that suggests what I have identified as the LP/cassette/video version is "only on the US/UK cassettes and Canadian/Japanese LP". Contrary to that statement, it's on my own copy of the US LP as well as on the UK LP used at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53ctZyLtnWw ... so I am wondering if there are some LPs which have something different?

In other news, the B-side, "Rubber West" as presented on the 2005 CD album is a slightly early fade as compared to what's on the original vinyl. It's only a difference of a few seconds during the fadeout, nothing major.
Last edited by PKPN on Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:04 am, edited 5 times in total.
PKPN
Take On Me

Re: SHARE: Yello - I Love You

Postby Uvox » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:03 am

I have an MP3 of this:
Yello - I Love You / Blazing Saddles (12'' DJ promo) (Mercury YDJ 8) 1988
https://www.discogs.com/Yello-I-Love-Yo ... ase/136992

and

Yello - I Love You (feat. Hardsequencer) 05:36
on Yello - Hands On Yello 1995

which seem not to be present in your list. Not "originals"?
Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby PKPN » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:29 am

Yeah, I am mainly just interested in the ones from the mid-'80s. I am not a fan of the later remixes at all.

However, I am curious to know if the 6:03 time on that promo 12" is correct. The percussion ends at that point on the "Blazing Saddles" CD maxi, but there's still a few seconds of choral vocal and an "I love you" vocal sample after that, for a total duration of about 6:09.
PKPN
Take On Me

Postby Uvox » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:39 am

My laptop clocks it at 6:14.
Here it is:
https://mega.nz/file/5Bck3boA#Ew3zNAYwk ... AJ1W1Y1Aok

On a local streaming platform, there are other versions:
track\ time\ source

Yello - I Love You
03:18
Fila Brazillia: Another Fine Mess

Yello - I Love You
03:14
Yello Greatest Hits [CD2]

Yello - I Love You
04:10
The Big Stiff Box Set [CD 3]

Yello - I Love You
03:22
The Disco-Tech Of...

Yello - I Love You
03:06
101 Electronic 80S [CD 1]

Yello - I Love You
07:09
Lost Again

Yello - I Love You
04:10
Yello Essential

Yello - I Love You
03:17
Yello You Gotta Say Yes To Another Excess

Yello - I Love You (12' Mix) (Bonus)
05:14
Yello You Gotta Say Yes To Another Excess

Yello - I Love You (1983)
03:12
Yello 100 Best Hits (1980-2016) CD1

Yello - I Love You (Extended Dance Version)
07:06
Yello I Love You single

Yello - I Love You [Maxi]
07:04
Yello Singles Collection

If there is anything catching your attention, I will download it for you.
Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby PKPN » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:58 pm

Uvox wrote:My laptop clocks it at 6:14.
Here it is:

Thanks! I checked it out and It's exactly the same, just playing 1% slower, which could be just an issue with the turntable. So that answers that question.
PKPN
Take On Me

Postby discoginfo » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:28 am

I Love You was first released in Europe in April of 1983 on vinyl LP. So that is version 1. It has the "gong" sound.
It is by far the most common one, also used on subsequent CD editions.

Then there is the single remix version, which came out the month after.
It basically replaces the gong with a drum pattern.
It was also used on some vinyl LPs, including the US LP, which is the cause for much confusion (more details are in my book).
There are two slightly different versions of this one, either with an "I Love You" intro vocal sample (in Germany), or without (in UK).
Neither has been released on CD, as least as far as I know.

Then there is also the 12" Mix. Then there is also the New Mix In One Go version, which is an edit of the 12".
/JW
http://www.discog.info/yello.html
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby PKPN » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:58 am

OK, I see. Thanks. I incorrectly assumed all the LPs had the same version, and that the UK 7" matched the European 7". I have now fixed my first post accordingly.

Based on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53ctZyLtnWw it seems the UK LP has the same 7" version as on the US & Canadian LPs, i.e. with no vocal sample on the intro.
PKPN
Take On Me

Postby discoginfo » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:11 am

The LP version came first (first one to be recorded and first one to be released), and should be considered the original.

Also, have you checked the running time for the vinyl 7" versions, by comparing them side by side in an editor etc?
My own rip of the 7" with intro voice is 3:14. I am not saying my vinyl player was correct, just bringing it up.
It may also be that Boris changed the speed on purpose for the single version.
Then again the 7" version without the vocal intro seems longer??
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby PKPN » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:49 pm

Interesting.

Well, I can say that my turntable is a Technics SL-1200M3D with the pitch reset button engaged; this is very accurate, speed-wise, as these things go, so I am 100% confident of the times for the things I have ripped myself:
  • US 7" – A 3:15.000 / B 3:31.204
  • US promo 12" – A 3:07.348 / B1 3:14.154 / B2 7:02.509
  • US LP – track A1 3:23.280
  • US CD – track 01 3:14.453
All are measured from beginning to end of the program material; silence on either end is not included. That said, ascertaining the very end of a fadeout is sometimes difficult, but I try not to overshoot by more than ½ a second, and I never undershoot.

As for duration differences between the 7" versions, first check the fadeout. The German 7" rip on YouTube ends right after the last keyboard "pling". The other 7" version (as on my US LP and on the UK LP & Vevo clip on YouTube) continues for a few more beats; the last thing you hear is the groaning "oh" sample.

For the German 7", I am relying on other people's rips, so I can't vouch for their timing. The MP3 I found of it is playing 0.39% slower than the longer-fade/no-intro version on my US LP. But the rip of the same 7" on YouTube is only playing 0.13% slower. (For this measurement I'm just using the duration from the first beat to the "pling" beat during the fadeout.) I have no idea if either one of them is correct. And then there is often a slight difference in timing anyway because the tape machines used during mixing, editing, and mastering were not all perfectly calibrated.
PKPN
Take On Me

Postby discoginfo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:54 am

Thanks PKPN; could you pls post your rips of US LP Version and US CD version? So I can compare. Thanks.
The US LP version should be the single remix without the vocal intro. Which should be the same as the UK 7" version. and the UK LP version.
I have sent the German 7" to you.

PS there are no less than three video versions:
I Love You 3.14 [LP version] (1983) [on 'The Video Singles', 1984]
I Love You 3.17 [single remix] (1983) [on 'Essential Video' 1992 & 'The Singles Collection' DVD]
I Love You 4.07 [New Mix In One Go Version] [on 'The Yello Video Show', 1989]
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby discoginfo » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:06 am

I sent the two single remixes (i.e. the one with a vocal intro and the one without but with a slighlty longer fade-out) to a track analyzer, he concluded:
"the [German] single version runs slightly faster than the [US] LP version [= single remix without the vocal intro], but once you eliminate the spoken intro and speed match them then the [US] LP version has a 3.5 seconds longer fadeout. Otherwise they are the same."

So, this is in line with what PKPN said, which feels satisfying.

I then asked him to compare the actual, original LP version, with the single remix, which both differ a lot from each other, with a view of finding out if the single version actually has "more music" than the LP version.
"these two versions have very different structures so there is no way to line them apart from the last 40 seconds or so where they align..................even in simple choruses it's different so for example the length between "I love You.............I know" is quite different (i.e. the music in between is longer on the US LP version). As far as the endings are concerned I have isolated the last few seconds (starting at an identical point) so you can clearly hear the additional music on the US version which has a 7 second longer fadeout (before doing this I also removed any silence at the end of each so that extra 7 seconds is a true measurement)"

So, we now know that the single version actually has a longer ending by 7 seconds! A secret is that this track was originally longer (almost 4 minutes) but Boris edited it down for the LP. It is likely a part of this, unreleased, longer version that we can hear on the single remix version.
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby PKPN » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:22 am

Thanks again. I love figuring out which versions are where.

Pop music history keeps getting rewritten by how things get reissued over the years. I have been tracking down many 7"/radio versions of tracks lately, because it bothers me that every compilation CD and streaming service puts "wrong" versions out there, as if those were the hits, when they really were not. I mean, if the album version or previously unreleased edit of a song wasn't what was on the charts and what made the song memorable, then why does it get to ride the nostalgia train many years later? I think it's just that the people at the record companies just don't remember or don't care about getting the versions right. The average listener doesn't care or remember either. On the other hand, many people owned the albums and greatest-hits compilations, so they love those versions, even if the radio always played something different, so there's that.

Yello was mostly unknown in the US until "Oh Yeah" was in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, which I think most people didn't see until 1986/1987 on home video. That sparked some interest in Yello's back catalog (and probably disappointment that nothing sounds quite like "Oh Yeah"), but I think it's safe to say that most North Americans probably only ever heard the US or Canadian LPs and cassettes. So when they think of "I Love You", they think of what was on the album.

Someday I would like to get my own copy of the German 7" so I can rip it myself and be sure I have it in best quality and at the right speed, but the prices for shipping from Europe to USA are too high. I just don't want to pay $15 for a $2 record right now.
PKPN
Take On Me

Postby discoginfo » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:27 pm

I think the compilers just think it's easier to locate and pick the version from the album master tape. It's very rare that vintage fans are involved.
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby discoginfo » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:00 am

PS does anyone have the original UK 1983 EXCESS LP? It would be good to be able to confirm that I Love You is indeed the same version as on the US LP and the UK 7". I had this "confirmed" by someone many years ago, but with so many versions mistakes could have been made. Thanks!
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Return to Obscure 80s Central