Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Martini Ranch

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Martini Ranch

Postby Stjiyo69 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:32 am

Looking for a copy of "How Can The Labouring Man Find Time For Self Culture?".....anyone??
Stjiyo69
Take On Me

Postby fritzb » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:18 am

Here 'tis: <a href="http://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2EN1KZX3GOLWF3H1NVOJ1LXCU2">Martini Ranch - How Can The Labouring Man Find Time For Self Culture</a> [8D]
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby Rubbeet921 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:10 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by fritzb[/i]
<br>Here 'tis: <a href="http://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2EN1KZX3GOLWF3H1NVOJ1LXCU2">Martini Ranch - How Can The Labouring Man Find Time For Self Culture</a> [8D]
[/quote]

Niiiice!!! Thanks fritzb! This is one of those treasured songs that I happen to have only on cassette tape![:I]
Rubbeet921
Room at the Top

Postby Stjiyo69 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:30 pm

THank you so very much!!!!
Stjiyo69
Take On Me

Postby Jefe » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:04 am

Thanks fritzb. I really like this song. I noticed that Amazon has several copies of Holy Cow by Martini Ranch. Would you or any of the other experts know what the rest of this disc is like?
Jefe
Personal Jesus

Postby Randall Roq » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:28 pm

I am aware that Bill Paxton was in this group but can anyone tell me what he did? I never ever remembered to look into it but would love to know.

Thanks in advance.
Randall Roq
The Jet Set

Postby fritzb » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:19 am

I don't personally own a copy of this record. I only have the one song, which I downloaded here on the NWO a couple years ago (MikeP posted it as a <I>Song of The Week[/i]).

And yes, Bill Paxton (the actor) was a member of the group. [8D]
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby Randall Roq » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:52 am

Yes but what did he do!?!? Can anyone tell me? [:(!][:D]
Randall Roq
The Jet Set

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:58 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Randall Roq[/i]
<br>Yes but what did he do!?!? Can anyone tell me? [:(!][:D]
[/quote]
I think he simply heralded the end of their concerts by shouting "Game over man!"
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby thefxc » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:39 am

[/quote]

On _Holy Cow_, he's credited with "vocals" on most songs (whether lead or background is not specified), "vocals and sampling" on "Hot Dog", and he co-wrote "Reach," "Serious Girl," "Power Tool," and "(Brother) Take it Out." On two songs, he's not credited for anything. The band seems to have been mostly Andrew Todd's baby, with various sidemen--including Paxton--filling in.

It certainly sounds like Paxton's voice on "The Laboring Man," so I'd guess that he took lead vocals on the tracks he performed on. FWIW, I think the record sounds too much like "Disco Dancer"-era Devo; a lot of thwacky synths and quirky lyrics/vocals, but not enough to reward repeated listening. "The Laboring Man," however, is genius.
thefxc
Personal Jesus

Postby fortyfives » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:54 am

I must say I agree totally with thefxc's assessment of the "Holy Cow" Lp. "How Can the Labouring Man" totally outshines everything else on the album. At one time, I had a 12" of "Labouring Man" and it had a great non-Lp track on the flip side called "Back To the Ranch". If anyone has it, I would definitely appreciate a copy.

Thanx,

45s
fortyfives
Take On Me

Postby design_femme » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:56 am

[/quote]

oh, how they tease on this board (way to go BLIR [:D])

anyhoo, he's most famously known for

Chet from [i]Weird Science[/i]
and
Hudson from [i]Aliens[/i].

Hey, I just looked him up under at imdb.com. Apparently, he was also the radio operator in Pat Benatar's "Shadows of the Night" video. Huh. I forgot about that one.
design_femme
Room at the Top

Return to Obscure 80s Central