Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Howard Jones: In The Running (3CD/DVD) Expanded Edition

Howard Jones: In The Running (3CD/DVD) Expanded Edition

Postby omar » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:05 pm

Released Apr. 30th 2021 through Cherry Red.

DISC ONE: CD

1. LIFT ME UP
2. FALLIN’ AWAY
3. SHOW ME
4. THE VOICES ARE BACK
5. EXODUS
6. TEARS TO TELL
7. TWO SOULS
8. GUN TURNED ON THE WORLD
9. ONE LAST TRY
10. CITY SONG
11. I. G. Y. (WHAT A BEAUTIFUL WORLD)
(SINGLE MIX)
12. NEW MAN
13. TAKIN’ THE TIME
14. YOU SAY
15. ONE LAST TRY (EDIT)*

* PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

DISC TWO: CD
1. LIFT ME UP (INSTRUMENTAL)*
2. FALLIN’ AWAY (INSTRUMENTAL)*
3. SHOW ME (INSTRUMENTAL)*
4. THE VOICES ARE BACK (INSTRUMENTAL)*
5. EXODUS (INSTRUMENTAL)*
6. TEARS TO TELL (INSTRUMENTAL)*
7. TWO SOULS(INSTRUMENTAL)*
8. GUN TURNED ON THE WORLD (INSTRUMENTAL) (EXTENDED VERSION)*
9. ONE LAST TRY (INSTRUMENTAL)
(EXTENDED VERSION)*
10. CITY SONG (INSTRUMENTAL)*
11. I.G.Y. (WHAT A BEAUTIFUL WORLD) (INSTRUMENTAL)*
12. ROAD TO CAIRO (TV MIX)*
13. OTHER PEOPLE ARE US (TV MIX)*
14. WHAT IS LOVE? (’93 REMIX) (INSTRUMENTAL)*

* PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

DISC THREE: CD
1. WHAT IS LOVE? (’93 12″ REMIX PART 1)*
2. WHAT IS LOVE? (’93 12″ REMIX PART 2)*
3. TEARS TO TELL (7″ EDIT)**
4. DON’T BE PART OF IT
5. ROAD TO CAIRO (ANDY SCARTH MIX)**
6. I. G. Y. (WHAT A BEAUTIFUL WORLD)
(SPECIAL DJ EDIT)**
7. OTHER PEOPLE ARE US
8. WHAT IS LOVE? (’93 REMIX)*
9. TWO SOULS (EARLY EXTENDED MIX)*
10. DON’T BE PART OF IT (MOO MIX)**
11. I. G. Y. (WHAT A BEAUTIFUL WORLD) (LIVE AT THE
SPECTRUM THEATRE, PHILADELPHIA 1987)**
12. ROAD TO CAIRO**
13. TEARS TO TELL (EARLY MIX)*
14. ONE LAST TRY (EXTENDED VERSION)*
15. DON’T BE PART OF IT (DANCE MIX AKA DUB MIX)**

* PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED
** PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED REMASTERED

DISC FOUR:
1. INTERVIEW WITH HOWARD JONES
OCTOBER 2020:
• CREATING “IN THE RUNNING”
• TRACK BY TRACK COMMENTARY
2. I.G.Y. (WHAT A BEAUTIFUL WORLD) (PEBBLE MILL – 18/05/1993)
3. WHAT IS LOVE?
(PEBBLE MILL – 18/05/1993)
4. TEARS TO TELL (PROMO VIDEO)
5. LIFT ME UP (PROMO VIDEO)
6. I.G.Y. (WHAT A BEAUTIFUL WORLD) (PROMO VIDEO)
7. TEARS TO TELL (BLUE TINT VERSION) (PROMO VIDEO)

NTSC/REGION FREE
omar
Room at the Top

Re: Howard Jones: In The Running (3CD/DVD) Expanded Edition

Postby Fred Taghon » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:35 am

Hmmm I've been on board with the "Human's Lib", "Dream Into Action" and "One To One" deluxe reissues and will PROBABLY end up getting "Cross That Line". But that's about where my loyalty to Mr. Jones' output ended back in the day. I found my way back into the fold with "The Peaceful Tour" and "Revolution Of The Heart" CDs and have remained an reinvigorated fan since, but I never did buy the "In The Running" album and, while "Lift Me Up" was a great single and "Two Souls" and "Tears To Tell" were nice, but I'm undecided about whether I need to pick this one up. By that time his music had lost much of the unique "edge" that made it stand out from all the rest. Still decent, quality stuff, but it no longer hit me with the same "WOW" factor.

It's been great though, having such incredible deluxe versions of his albums with such excellent content! Kudos to Cherry Red for doing a great job curating his catalog. I assume, since "In The Running" was his last album for Warners, that this is likely the end of the road for the reissue campaign as well.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby audiodile » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:58 am

I wasn't really a fan of In The Running either, in fact last night I sat down and listened to it all for the first time as the singles beyond Lift Me Up didn't really grab me first time around.

I will say that City Song for me is one of Howard's best. The other tracks range from decent to not bad. It goes down easy but it doesn't quite compel you like his best songs did.

I feel like at this point I have every single Hojo version and remix that I could want; if only other fairly major artists would see a fraction of the love to their back catalogues.
audiodile
Take On Me

Postby humanracer » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:18 pm

Fred Taghon wrote:Hmmm I've been on board with the "Human's Lib", "Dream Into Action" and "One To One" deluxe reissues and will PROBABLY end up getting "Cross That Line". But that's about where my loyalty to Mr. Jones' output ended back in the day. I found my way back into the fold with "The Peaceful Tour" and "Revolution Of The Heart" CDs and have remained an reinvigorated fan since, but I never did buy the "In The Running" album and, while "Lift Me Up" was a great single and "Two Souls" and "Tears To Tell" were nice, but I'm undecided about whether I need to pick this one up. By that time his music had lost much of the unique "edge" that made it stand out from all the rest. Still decent, quality stuff, but it no longer hit me with the same "WOW" factor.

It's been great though, having such incredible deluxe versions of his albums with such excellent content! Kudos to Cherry Red for doing a great job curating his catalog. I assume, since "In The Running" was his last album for Warners, that this is likely the end of the road for the reissue campaign as well.

Yes I felt this was the point where Howard wanted to prove he could move beyond the "80s" and do something other than synthpop. The music is nice but I wouldn't call any of the songs a classic.

I saw the "Peaceful Tour". It was in a nightclub in Scotland of an audience of about 30 people. I kid you not. Still he seemed to enjoy it I guess. Afterwards you could purchase a copy of the show on CD-r, an innovation at the time. I lost it at some point.

Howard kept trying to sound modern while sticking to the classic sound. I felt he often couldn't achieve this however I feel he finally did with the albums Engage and Transform.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:21 pm

audiodile wrote:I wasn't really a fan of In The Running either, in fact last night I sat down and listened to it all for the first time as the singles beyond Lift Me Up didn't really grab me first time around.

I will say that City Song for me is one of Howard's best. The other tracks range from decent to not bad. It goes down easy but it doesn't quite compel you like his best songs did.

I feel like at this point I have every single Hojo version and remix that I could want; if only other fairly major artists would see a fraction of the love to their back catalogues.

Yes he does care about his catalogue. A-ha are the same, they would release recordings of themselves singing in the shower if they could.

Yet I feel Howard's mixes aren't radically different from the finished versions. There was no real surprises for me on the recent reissues. That's not his fault of course.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby WLR » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:08 am

I don't even remember this Howard Jones album, so I am guessing it isn't one of his best, that said the recent re-issues have been pretty good.
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby ZippY » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:09 am

As an album I think this one is one of his best. It's cohesive and has a couple of good singles which I always liked to hear back in the days. That Donald Fagen cover is a highlight on the album.
ZippY
Personal Jesus

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations