Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

China Crisis Re-Issues

Re: China Crisis Re-Issues

Postby discoginfo » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:06 pm

What about track 10 on CD 2 of "Working With Fire And Steel" (Some People I Know To Lead Fantastic Lives 3:49) is it the same as the 1982 LP version??
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby humanracer » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:06 am

discoginfo wrote:On the first 2-CD (DIFFICULT SHAPES & PASSIVE RHYTHMS) these four released tracks/versions are missing: African and White (First Single Version), Be Suspicious (vinyl B-side version), No Ordinary Lover (12" Version), Christian (Single Version). The first two seem not to be available on any CD. Track 3 seems to be available on the 1990 CD-maxi https://www.discogs.com/China-Crisis-Af ... ase/826643 Track 4 is available on 1990 2-CD COLLECTION - THE VERY BEST OF CHINA CRISIS. (We could also add "African And White - The Steve Proctor 1990 Remix" - 2 versions....) (oh and "Seven Sports for All (Home Demo 79/80)" and "Christian (Home Demo 79/80)" from "FINE AND ALSO RARE CHINA")

/JW
http://www.discog.info/china-crisis.html

Great list thanks! Maybe we can do one for the other two.

Christian single mix is available on several compilations. I have it in flac from kick up the eighties
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby discoginfo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:16 am

Tracks missing from the 3-CD WORKING WITH FIRE AND STEEL: Tragedy & Mystery (Single Version), Wishful Thinking (Single Version), This Occupation (7" B-side Version).
I still don't know what track 9 "Wishful Thinking (Edit)" 4.40 is. Mistake on discogs.com? And track 10 "Some People I Know to Lead Fantastic Lives" 3.49 -- New Version??

Tracks missing from the 2-CD FLAUNT THE IMPERFECTION: King in a Catholic Style (Single Version), You Did Cut Me (Live 19 May 1985).
I still don't know what track 6 "You Did Cut Me (Edit)" 3.59 is sourced from?
Last edited by discoginfo on Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby humanracer » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:41 am

discoginfo wrote:Tracks missing from the 3-CD WORKING WITH FIRE AND STEEL: Tragedy & Mystery (Single Version), Working with Fire and Steel (Single Version),Wishful Thinking (Single Version), This Occupation (7" B-side Version).
I still don't know what track 9 "Wishful Thinking (Edit)" 4.40 is. Mistake on discogs.com? And track 10 "Some People I Know to Lead Fantastic Lives" 3.49 -- New Version??

Tracks missing from the 2-CD FLAUNT THE IMPERFECTION: King in a Catholic Style (Single Version), You Did Cut Me (Live 19 May 1985).
I still don't know what track 6 "You Did Cut Me (Edit)" 3.59 is sourced from?

Hi
Regarding the single versions, I have been able to find most of them on compilations I have. If anyone has a non vinyl source for tragedy and mystery, this please let me know. Also what is the difference between the album and single version of working with fire and steel? They are the same length?

Sadly Wishful Thinking (edit) is exactly the same as the album version.

The b side version of Some People I Know just has a longer fade out than the album version. In fact you would have to put the volume up in the last 10 seconds to know there was more than just silence.

You Did Cut Me (edit) is a mistake. It's actually a live track.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby Rubellan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:14 am

Is the single version of 'This Occupation' on any CD? It seems to have been neglected here. And the only difference with the single version of Fire and Steel is that the line "Things get fucked and we're to blame" is changed to "Things get stuck and we're to blame". I have it on one of those Rhino New Wave Hits CD's. Isn't it the same with Hanna Hanna were the lyric "In a city all full of fucking sharks" is just changed to "In a city all full of... sharks".
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:26 am

So much use of F word! They were such a naughty boys - strange no-one really noticed :D
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:53 pm

Passing_Stranger wrote:So much use of F word! They were such a naughty boys - strange no-one really noticed :D

Gary is the same in concert, f this, f that, f-ing, f,f,f, :D
Sugoi !!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby humanracer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:16 pm

To be fair the reissues aren't bad when you consider only a handful of tracks are missing. And even then a lot of them are minor edits. I think the only omissions I care about is the original 7" of African & White and the 7" version of This Occupation.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:55 pm

I saw China Crisis in Kinross (small Scottish town) tonight. It was a very small but cosy venue. It was sold out and there was around 130 people in attendance. Gary and Eddie were on fine form, joking with each other and the audience throughout the show. Eddie's guitar playing was faultless. They were agumented by a brilliant sax player and a young guy on synths who has recreated the original sounds from the albums. Apart from a few technical glitches, it sounded pretty good.

The show was split into two parts. The first part contained several album tracks from the early 80s and three tracks from their latest album. The second part was simply the singles. The show finished with a mellow album track - Here Comes A Raincloud. Between the songs the band gave interesting stories about their early days in music. They said they prefered performing at small intimate venues throughout and getting close to the audience.

During the interval I got talking to Gary and asked me about the meaning of some of the songs. The chorus of African & White is "life is a fever in Israel" and it was about the Toxteth (Liverpool) riots of 1981 and how the media were concerned with the Israel & Palestine conflict. We also talked about Hanna Hanna and he said he city "full of sharks" was refering to London.

There were several CDs for sale but they had sold out of "Fine & Rare China" of which I only have an mp3 copy. I did buy a remastered version of the live album Scrapbook Vol 1. Apparently the original was mastered at the wrong speed. They also had their new album for sale.

Although the crowd were subdued at times, almost everyone was on their feet at the end. Most people I talked to after the gig said they were fantastic.

Setlist:
Part 1:
The Soul Awakening
Temptation's Big Blue Eyes
Some People I Know to Lead Fantastic Lives
Seven Sports for All
Feel to Be Driven Away
Autumn in the Neighbourhood
Down Here on Earth
Fool
Bigger the Punch I'm Feeling

Part 2
African and White
Best Kept Secret
Arizona Sky
Black Man Ray
Wishful Thinking
King in a Catholic Style
Working With Fire and Steel
Christian

Encore:
Tragedy and Mystery
Here Comes a Raincloud
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:09 pm

Hi
Does anyone know if the below has a different version of the Instigator?
https://www.discogs.com/China-Crisis-Be ... ase/832739
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby schwenko » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:54 am

humanracer wrote:Hi

why was it withdrawn?
Sugoi !!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby negative1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:04 pm

schwenko wrote:

why was it withdrawn?

Read the comment on it.

Comes in 5" Fold Out Cardsleeve. The release was withdrawn from sale because having five tracks, it was considered invalid for the official chart return status.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:48 pm

negative1 wrote:
schwenko wrote:

why was it withdrawn?

Read the comment on it.

Comes in 5" Fold Out Cardsleeve. The release was withdrawn from sale because having five tracks, it was considered invalid for the official chart return status.

later

Hah!!! I have this. I bought it when it came out. never realized it had been withdrawn.
Sugoi !!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby humanracer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:11 pm

To answer my own question, The Instigator on this CD single is different to The Instigator (Italian Fuzzbox Version)
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:15 am

humanracer wrote:To answer my own question, The Instigator on this CD single is different to The Instigator (Italian Fuzzbox Version)

Can anybody post this version or PM it to me (in FLAC preferrably)? I'd love to hear it :)
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations