Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

VISAGE Deluxe Edition on the way!

Re: VISAGE Deluxe Edition on the way!

Postby discoginfo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:28 am

The question is, who owns the (rights to the) Radar single today? The Radar label folded like 40 years ago.
In any case, the Radar version of Tar is very similar to the LP version, and the 12" Version of Frequencey 7
is also similar, albeit (much) longer than the Radar 7" version. And finally, there would not have been room
for them on the CD. So I think Rubellan made the only logical (Spock) and possible choice, to leave those two tracks out.
But the mystery remains, who owns them now?

http://www.discog.info/visage-discog.html
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:30 am

Well, Radar was a WEA subsidiary. I would expect that WEA still owns the rights to this day since they haven't been folded into any other label [yet]. Of course, the rat's nest of IP ownership as huge chunks of formerly monolithic companies are carved up and traded like baseball cards today makes knowing anything about the ownership of of anything dicey.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby discoginfo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:39 am

Yes Big Fish gets eaten by even Bigger Fish (record Companies).
If you look at the original labels
https://www.discogs.com/Visage-Tar/release/155311
Radar is the label.
Here https://www.discogs.com/label/184057-Radar-Records-5
it says that radar is funded and distributed by WEA.
On the record label itself it also says Genetic Records.
It also says Virgin Music/Island Music (I suspect that was the distributor)
and as if that was not enough to cause confusion, it also says
Copyright Control, which, as far as I know, means Visage owns the copyright.
Or publishing right. I am sure someone here knows it better than I do.
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby df118 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:13 am

discoginfo wrote:The question is, who owns the (rights to the) Radar single today? The Radar label folded like 40 years ago.
In any case, the Radar version of Tar is very similar to the LP version, and the 12" Version of Frequencey 7
is also similar, albeit (much) longer than the Radar 7" version. And finally, there would not have been room
for them on the CD. So I think Rubellan made the only logical (Spock) and possible choice, to leave those two tracks out.
But the mystery remains, who owns them now?

http://www.discog.info/visage-discog.html

The original Frequency 7 and the Dance Mix are very different.
df118
Take On Me

Postby Rubellan » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:05 pm

I had a chance to review the Visage tape library list and I can tell you the early demos that were included with In The Year 2525 are not in the Universal archive. I also didn't see much in the way of unreleased material. There is a version of Fade to Grey that clocks in at 3:08 that has me curious but I cannot even review it unless it went through the whole legal process. There was also a 3 song tape that included Fade, Tar and Moon Over Moscow that was owned by a label called Capricorn, which has me wondering if that was before their Polydor deal. And I've seen some postings online that state the Bonus Beats version of Pleasure Boys is not official. There are multiple copies of the master in the Universal archive, so it must be official. I have submitted another Visage title to be cleared for release, and I'm thinking of including a surprise unreleased extended mix of a song that I'm not going to mention yet, since it would need to clear and I would need to review the tape to see if it's anything worthwhile.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:41 am

Rubellan wrote:I had a chance to review the Visage tape library list and I can tell you the early demos that were included with In The Year 2525 are not in the Universal archive. I also didn't see much in the way of unreleased material. There is a version of Fade to Grey that clocks in at 3:08 that has me curious but I cannot even review it unless it went through the whole legal process. There was also a 3 song tape that included Fade, Tar and Moon Over Moscow that was owned by a label called Capricorn, which has me wondering if that was before their Polydor deal. And I've seen some postings online that state the Bonus Beats version of Pleasure Boys is not official. There are multiple copies of the master in the Universal archive, so it must be official. I have submitted another Visage title to be cleared for release, and I'm thinking of including a surprise unreleased extended mix of a song that I'm not going to mention yet, since it would need to clear and I would need to review the tape to see if it's anything worthwhile.

There seems to be a rat's nest of potentially bogus Visage remixes submitted on Discogs. Weird format [clear, 8"] WLP mixes that only surfaced in the last few years [with very dodgy photo documentation] and have me doubtful. Thanks for shedding a little light on at least part of the situation. If the "Bonus Beats" are legit then that casts the light of potential veracity on the "Special Remix Version" as well.
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby BigManRestless » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:53 am

I've been suspicious of those Beat Boy era promos too. Why would Polydor have thrown so much effort at such a dud album? And if they are promoting an album, then WTF leave off the artist's name? I know the BOY1 promo doesn't, but that at least seems genuine, and I have a copy.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby Rubellan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:39 am

BigManRestless wrote:I've been suspicious of those Beat Boy era promos too. Why would Polydor have thrown so much effort at such a dud album? And if they are promoting an album, then WTF leave off the artist's name? I know the BOY1 promo doesn't, but that at least seems genuine, and I have a copy.

I see no Beat Boy era mixes in the list aside from the standard Love Glove 12". But I will say that despite the size of the list, some tapes appear to be missing that were available less than a decade ago. The original 12" mix of The Anvil and the 12" mix of Der Amboss are not in the list, so effectively "lost". Plus, there are some tapes listed as a "safety" but there's no original listed. There's also a tape with an alternate sequence of side 2 of the debut album. I wonder if there are different mixes in there? Not that I will know. Either way, it's been fascinating to see this.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:44 am

BigManRestless wrote:I've been suspicious of those Beat Boy era promos too. Why would Polydor have thrown so much effort at such a dud album? And if they are promoting an album, then WTF leave off the artist's name? I know the BOY1 promo doesn't, but that at least seems genuine, and I have a copy.

There are times when the label doesn't want a preconceived notion of the artist to impede the salability of the song. Bands have been known to be promoted under alias names for this reason; presumably because the band were perceived as unfashionable in England at the time of release. I can't think of any bands outside of the UK that this has happened with. It's so fashion driven there. A anonymous WLP would have some potential cachet within DJ culture whereas maybe a Visage disc would not. By 1984 Visage were possibly seen as being past their "sell-by date."
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby BigManRestless » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:30 am

postpunkmonk wrote:

There are times when the label doesn't want a preconceived notion of the artist to impede the salability of the song. Bands have been known to be promoted under alias names for this reason; presumably because the band were perceived as unfashionable in England at the time of release. I can't think of any bands outside of the UK that this has happened with. It's so fashion driven there. A anonymous WLP would have some potential cachet within DJ culture whereas maybe a Visage disc would not. By 1984 Visage were possibly seen as being past their "sell-by date."

Yes sure - that happened to the Thompson Twins in the early 90s with the Feedback Max white labels. But the Visage ones have composer credits for Steve Strange, Rusty Egan etc and are on Polydor...not that hard to work out who it is!
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:22 am

Rubellan wrote:

I see no Beat Boy era mixes in the list aside from the standard Love Glove 12". But I will say that despite the size of the list, some tapes appear to be missing that were available less than a decade ago. The original 12" mix of The Anvil and the 12" mix of Der Amboss are not in the list, so effectively "lost". Plus, there are some tapes listed as a "safety" but there's no original listed. There's also a tape with an alternate sequence of side 2 of the debut album. I wonder if there are different mixes in there? Not that I will know. Either way, it's been fascinating to see this.

Ummmm
https://twitter.com/DJRustyEgan/status/ ... 5781289990

On another note, I would love to browse Universal's tape library just to see what is listed. They should put it online (will never happen)
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby moni » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:11 pm

That Rusty Egan is a miserable git.
moni
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:06 am

moni wrote:That Rusty Egan is a miserable git.

Well, he has all the right in the world to be - he got screwed up royally for his main project, and not once but several times to boot. He's this freewheeling soul that's not made for the world of showbiz. His reply to Rubellan was rude and unnecessary but at least he only grumbles and not tries to stop the project.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby thunderbird2 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:54 pm

all I posted this a while back and don't know if it helps , Cherry red were interested in doing a CD , here was one of the posts. The fact that these have catalog numbers may imply that they are official

this is a real shame as last year a certain record company were looking to do the following and I imagine they did not get the licencing deal as this would have been great , look at the suggested tracklisting . lets hope the deluxe has some of these especially the Anvil Dance mix

Artist: Visage

Title: Remix Anthology 2 CD Collection

Tracklisting:

1/ Tar (Original 7" Mix) 03:25 (cat # ADA 48)
2/ Frequency 7 (Original Version) 03:05 (cat # ADA 48)
3/ Fade To Grey (Single Version) 03:50 (cat # POSP 194)
4/ Fade To Grey (Special Maxi Version) 06:14 (German cat # 2141 318)
5/ Fade To Grey (Dance Mix - Remix John Luongo) 06:44 (US cat # PX1-501)
6/ Mind Of A Toy (Single Version) 03:32 (cat # POSP 236)
7/ We Move 04:00 (cat # POSP 236)
8/ Mind Of A Toy (Dance Mix) 05:14 (cat # POSPX 236)
9/ We Move (Dance Mix) 06:29 (cat # POSPX 236)
10/ Frequency 7 (Dance Mix) 05:00 (cat # POSPX 236)
11/ Visage (Single Remix) 03:47 (cat # POSP 293)
12/ Visage (Dance Mix) 06:01 (cat # POSPX 293)
13/ The Damned Don't Cry (Single Version) 03:55 (cat # POSP 390)
14/ The Damned Don't Cry (Dance Mix) 05:43 (cat # POSPX 390)
15/ Night Train (Single Remix) 03:39 (cat # POSP 441)
16/ Night Train (Dance Mix) 06:07 (cat # POSPX 441)
17/ Night Train (Dub Mix) 05:02 (cat # POSPX 441)
18/ Whispers (Single Edit) 03:47 (Japanese cat # 7DM 0069)
19/ Pleasure Boys (Single Version) 03:34 (cat # POSP 523)
20/ The Anvil (Remix) 04:26 (cat # POSP 523)
21/ Pleasure Boys (Dance Mix) 06:58 (cat # POSPX 523)
22/ The Anvil (Dance Mix) 06:14 (cat # POSPX 523)
23/ Pleasure Boys (Special Remix Version) (cat # POSPY 523-W)
24/ Pleasure Boys (Bonus Beats) 06:03 (cat # POSPW 523)
25/ Pleasure Boys (Black Leather Remix) (Germany cat # 2812 134)
26/ Der Amboss 05:37 (cat # POSPV 523)
27/ Love Glove (Single Version) 04:00 (cat # POSP 697)
28/ Love Glove (Full Version) 06:38 (cat # POSPX 691)
29/ Beat Boy (Single Version) 03:30 (cat # POSP 709)
30/ Beat Boy (Dance Mix) 07:15 (cat # POSPX 709)
31/ Beat Boy (10 Min - Dance Mix) 09:54 (cat # BOY 1)
32/ Beat Boy (Machine Mix) 08:45 (cat # BOY 1)
33/ The Damned Don't Cry (Remix) 04:44 (Spanish cat # 21 41 488)
34/ Love Glove (Alternate Version) (cat # POSPW 691)
thunderbird2 Personal Jesus Posts: 275Joined: 27 Jul 2006 03:22Location:
thunderbird2
Personal Jesus

Postby moni » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:30 pm

Passing_Stranger wrote:
moni wrote:That Rusty Egan is a miserable git.

Well, he has all the right in the world to be - he got screwed up royally for his main project, and not once but several times to boot. He's this freewheeling soul that's not made for the world of showbiz. His reply to Rubellan was rude and unnecessary but at least he only grumbles and not tries to stop the project.

When Visage released that The Wild Life (The Best Of Extended Versions And Remixes) a few years back he was moaning and telling people not to buy it because it was a fake Visage as he put it.He was also very nasty to peoples comments as well. The guy has a serious chip on his shoulder.
moni
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations