Page 1 of 1

Question regarding Naked Eyes Always Something..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:06 pm
by humanracer
There are two " short" versions of this track,

1. One with a "clean intro" containing Simmon synth
drums

We know this was included on three of their hits CDs -

The Best of Naked Eyes (1991)
Promises, Promises (The Very Best of Naked Eyes) (1994)
Naked Eyes / Spandau Ballet – Back 2 Back Hits (1998)
And also most various artist compilation CDs



2. One with a "bombastic" style intro with thunder like effects and no drums


This appears to be created from the Jellybean 12" remix (US promo 12": EMI America SPRO-9923/9924). Jellybean was credited on the label of the 7" when it was released in the USA by EMI America.

It is also the version used on the UK LP Burning Bridges released March 1983.

Despite claims it was not released on CD until the 2012 remaster, it was made available on the 1997 Australian CD Eighties Complete and the 2008 Australian CD Countdown One Hit Wonders 2. Maybe some others too.

This is also the video version.

So the questions
1. Can anyone confirm the version on the original UK 7" from Sept 1982? I believe the second version did not come out until 6 months later so I feel it must be version 1.

2. Can anyone confirm the version on the US LP version of Burning Bridges (Called Naked Eyes). Some say both versions existed in different pressings.. Some say both versions existed in different pressings.

3. Can anyone confirm the version on the March 1983 UK reissue? I assume it is version 2 since it ties in with the UK LP release.

Re: Question regarding Naked Eyes Always Something..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:11 pm
by audiodile
it was made available on the 1994 US compilation CD Living in Oblivion vol 1


Actually I own this disc and just listened to it a day ago after reading the other thread, it is actually the first version with the synth drums, not the "thunder" opening.

Re: Question regarding Naked Eyes Always Something..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:21 pm
by humanracer
audiodile wrote:
it was made available on the 1994 US compilation CD Living in Oblivion vol 1


Actually I own this disc and just listened to it a day ago after reading the other thread, it is actually the first version with the synth drums, not the "thunder" opening.


Thanks you are right. I will edit the 1st post. Thanks!!

Re: Question regarding Naked Eyes Always Something..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:36 pm
by Fred Taghon
humanracer wrote:2. Can anyone confirm the version on the US LP version of Burning Bridges (Called Naked Eyes). Some say both versions existed in different pressings.. Some say both versions existed in different pressings.


I just checked my copy of the "Naked Eyes" U.S. LP, and the version of "Always Something There To Remind Me" on it has the drum machine intro and then drums during the "thundery/church bell" opening segment. This is also the same version that appears on my U.S. 7" single. In fact, I didn't realize the other version had ever been released beyond the video until the "Burning Bridges" remaster came out.

This is the issue I have:
https://www.discogs.com/Naked-Eyes-Nake ... se/2611999

After the "Burning Bridges" remastered CD came out, I re-created my own "U.S" version with the original U.S. LP track listing which meant I had to re-create this version of "Always Something There To Remind Me" (so that it would blend in sonically with the other newly remastered tracks). In doing so, I discovered that the "thundery/church bell" opening segment" was actually just a cut and paste job. Whoever assembled this version simply took that segment from later in the song and placed it at the beginning as well, then added the short drum machine intro.

Re: Question regarding Naked Eyes Always Something..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:33 pm
by humanracer
Fred Taghon wrote:
humanracer wrote:2. Can anyone confirm the version on the US LP version of Burning Bridges (Called Naked Eyes). Some say both versions existed in different pressings.. Some say both versions existed in different pressings.


I just checked my copy of the "Naked Eyes" U.S. LP, and the version of "Always Something There To Remind Me" on it has the drum machine intro and then drums during the "thundery/church bell" opening segment. This is also the same version that appears on my U.S. 7" single. In fact, I didn't realize the other version had ever been released beyond the video until the "Burning Bridges" remaster came out.

This is the issue I have:
https://www.discogs.com/Naked-Eyes-Nake ... se/2611999

After the "Burning Bridges" remastered CD came out, I re-created my own "U.S" version with the original U.S. LP track listing which meant I had to re-create this version of "Always Something There To Remind Me" (so that it would blend in sonically with the other newly remastered tracks). In doing so, I discovered that the "thundery/church bell" opening segment" was actually just a cut and paste job. Whoever assembled this version simply took that segment from later in the song and placed it at the beginning as well, then added the short drum machine intro.


Oh Fred that is interetsing because I thought they were only TWO versions,

1. With drum machine intro and no thundery effects during church bells Here is that version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blwc8myYLWA
2. With no drum machine intro and thundery effects. This just starts with a bang. Here is that version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQ4-K6xrfs

So are you saying there is a third version that has the thundery effects and a drum machine intro or do you just mean just version 1 with drum intro, church bells but no other type effects or backbeat that version 2 has.

Re: Question regarding Naked Eyes Always Something..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:05 pm
by Fred Taghon
humanracer wrote:
Fred Taghon wrote:
humanracer wrote:2. Can anyone confirm the version on the US LP version of Burning Bridges (Called Naked Eyes). Some say both versions existed in different pressings.. Some say both versions existed in different pressings.


I just checked my copy of the "Naked Eyes" U.S. LP, and the version of "Always Something There To Remind Me" on it has the drum machine intro and then drums during the "thundery/church bell" opening segment. This is also the same version that appears on my U.S. 7" single. In fact, I didn't realize the other version had ever been released beyond the video until the "Burning Bridges" remaster came out.

This is the issue I have:
https://www.discogs.com/Naked-Eyes-Nake ... se/2611999

After the "Burning Bridges" remastered CD came out, I re-created my own "U.S" version with the original U.S. LP track listing which meant I had to re-create this version of "Always Something There To Remind Me" (so that it would blend in sonically with the other newly remastered tracks). In doing so, I discovered that the "thundery/church bell" opening segment" was actually just a cut and paste job. Whoever assembled this version simply took that segment from later in the song and placed it at the beginning as well, then added the short drum machine intro.


Oh Fred that is interetsing because I thought they were only TWO versions,

1. With drum machine intro and no thundery effects during church bells Here is that version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blwc8myYLWA
2. With no drum machine intro and thundery effects. This just starts with a bang. Here is that version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQ4-K6xrfs

So are you saying there is a third version that has the thundery effects and a drum machine intro or do you just mean just version 1 with drum intro, church bells but no other type effects or backbeat that version 2 has.

I'm sorry, yes there are only the 2 versions. My U.S. LP and U.S 7" are both the version in the first youtube link - no "thunder" sound effect. For some reason when I was writing my post I was thinking there was thunder in there, but no, there isn't lol.

Re: Question regarding Naked Eyes Always Something..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:22 am
by humanracer
Thanks! Some people claim to have a version of the US LP with the video version. Maybe another pressing.

Re: Question regarding Naked Eyes Always Something..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:44 am
by jaybag
Back when the record first came out here in the US, my friend Bret and I were huge fans but I bought my album a few months before he did. My version of the LP had the thunderclap/bells intro on ASTTRM (which I greatly prefer), his had the synth drum. Also, mine had the UK version of PP (with the “cup of tea” lyrics), his had the US version. But mine was definitely the “Naked Eyes” album, not “Burning Bridges” which had a couple extra songs and a totally different running order.

Funny you mentioned that Aussie compilation - I stumbled onto that years ago and at that time it was the only place I could find the thunderclap ASTTRM on CD! It’s on the Cherry Red CD but curiously the version on Spotify’s Burning Bridges has the synth drum intro.

Re: Question regarding Naked Eyes Always Something..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:16 am
by discoginfo
Thanks Jaybag. This is a discographer's nightmare. (Although the Zang Tumb Tumb/Island artists like Grace Jones etc are much worse)

Re: Question regarding Naked Eyes Always Something..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:48 am
by LPCDMP3
The original 1982 UK 45 had the bells version, because I used to have it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcFi-ppnX6Y&t=15s

I also used to have the USA 7" single of "Always" and it had the bells intro but on the radio I'd always hear the drums intro version.
After a few months they replaced the mix on the USA 7", because I bought that too.

"Always" was released twice in the UK, with "Voices In My Head" in between releases.
Note both releases have the same catalog number though, even being different mixes.

http://www.45cat.com/artist/naked-eyes/uk

The Jellybean mix was done AFTER both releases of "Always" had been out awhile and was originally released as a promo only 12",
and the 7" Jellybean mix remained unreleased until the 'Everything And More' CD.

Here's a video of the original cassette version of the USA LP.
Note it uses the original 'Burning Bridges' UK versions of "Always" and "Promises".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISUy4KuDP1A&t=1062s

I'm going to assume this is the first pressing of the USA LP, and was probably later pressed with the remixes for both songs.
The only way to tell which version of the LP you have is to actually play it.

Re: Question regarding Naked Eyes Always Something..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:12 pm
by humanracer
LPCDMP3 wrote:The original 1982 UK 45 had the bells version, because I used to have it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcFi-ppnX6Y&t=15s

I also used to have the USA 7" single of "Always" and it had the bells intro but on the radio I'd always hear the drums intro version.
After a few months they replaced the mix on the USA 7", because I bought that too.

"Always" was released twice in the UK, with "Voices In My Head" in between releases.
Note both releases have the same catalog number though, even being different mixes.

http://www.45cat.com/artist/naked-eyes/uk

The Jellybean mix was done AFTER both releases of "Always" had been out awhile and was originally released as a promo only 12",
and the 7" Jellybean mix remained unreleased until the 'Everything And More' CD.

Here's a video of the original cassette version of the USA LP.
Note it uses the original 'Burning Bridges' UK versions of "Always" and "Promises".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISUy4KuDP1A&t=1062s

I'm going to assume this is the first pressing of the USA LP, and was probably later pressed with the remixes for both songs.
The only way to tell which version of the LP you have is to actually play it.


Thanks!

When you say 7" Jellybean mix, are we speaking about Always or Promises because Always only has two 7" mixes, the one with synth drums/clean opening and one with bells/bombastic opening. The "bells" version you call it is surely an edit of the Jellybean 12"?

Here is the "bells version" 7" which is credited to Jellybean..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQ4-K6xrfs

Re: Question regarding Naked Eyes Always Something..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:42 pm
by LPCDMP3
Sorry, I was referring to the Jellybean 7" mix of "Promises" on the 'Everything' CD.

I'm thinking the single shown as the photo for that YouTube video is wrong.
The mix playing is the original UK bells version, which was also the first pressing of the USA single (without credit to Jellybean on the label).

The Jellybean 7" mix of "Always" is the one that starts off with the drums.
That mix is known as the American Edit in the UK, even though Jellybean is not credited on the UK re-release sleeve or label.

I refer to the original UK mix (7" and 'Burning Bridges' LP version) as the "bells version" just to shorten it, but I do mean the thunderclap and church bells intro.

Re: Question regarding Naked Eyes Always Something..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:00 am
by LPCDMP3
I messaged Jellybean on FaceBook last night and he replied. The 7" version of "Always" that starts off with the drums is his remix.

Image

Image

Re: Question regarding Naked Eyes Always Something..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:20 pm
by discoginfo
The original UK 7" single (Sept 1982)
https://www.discogs.com/Naked-Eyes-Always-Something-There-To-Remind-Me/release/2492952
is 3.39 according to the label, and is produced by Tony Mansfield.

The UK reissue 7" single (March 1983)
https://www.discogs.com/Naked-Eyes-Always-Something-There-To-Remind-Me/release/4598081
is also 3.39 according to the label, but is titled "American Edit" both on the label and the back cover.

The version on both Naked Eyes CD compilations (1991 & 1994) clock in at 3:41 and is the one with the drum intro.
I would say that this is the "most common" version.
It also SOUNDS like Tony's production, more than the shorter 3:33 version which is only available (on CD) on the UK 2012 BURNING BRIDGES CD.
If Jellybean is correct (= remembers correctly) then there has been a serious mess-up from the beginning.
But the thing is, Jellybean did not create his "re-edit" until 1983, whereas Tony's version was released in 1982.
Confusing...... I don't have the original UK 7" (Sep 1982) so I can't compare, but a thorough listen at that version should settle it.
The version on that first single IS the original Tony Mansfield version.

Re: Question regarding Naked Eyes Always Something..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:26 am
by LPCDMP3
The confusion stems from both UK releases having the same catalog number - EMI 5334
and both USA releases having the same catalog number - EMI AMERICA B-8155
even though they are different mixes.

It doesn't help that the 'Everything And More' CD lists the 12" Jellybean remix of "Always" as the Tony Mansfield mix either.
At least the 2018 CD remaster of 'Naked Eyes' corrects this mistake.