Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Ultravox Vienna 40th Anniversary Box Set

Ultravox Vienna 40th Anniversary Box Set

Postby BigManRestless » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:21 pm

A Midge Ure Facebook page has shared an image of a 12" single release of Sleepwalk for Record Store Day. It says the new Steve Wilson remix is from a forthcoming 40th anniversary box set of the Vienna album.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Re: Ultravox Vienna 40th Anniversary Box Set

Postby Sean » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:08 pm

40th Anniversary?

Now I am feeling kind of old!!! :D
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby telekon3 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:27 pm

Ultravox Vienna was one of my early favorites.
It is still one of my all-time favorites.
I still remember being 16 years old,
lying on the floor of my bedroom
listening to the Vienna LP.
This was when music came together for me.
All my favorite musical styles rolled into one.
Rock, Disco, Punk, Glam, Pop, and Electronic.
The beginning summer of the greatest decade to follow!

"On a crowded beach washed by the sun, he puts his headphones on.
His modern world revolves around the synthesizer's song."
telekon3
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:19 pm

BigManRestless wrote:A Midge Ure Facebook page has shared an image of a 12" single release of Sleepwalk for Record Store Day. It says the new Steve Wilson remix is from a forthcoming 40th anniversary box set of the Vienna album.

its confusing, because it says only the a-side mix will be on the box set.

but it doesn't say if thats the normal version or the new stereo mix.
so it's not very clear.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby BigManRestless » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:43 am

negative1 wrote:
its confusing, because it says only the a-side mix will be on the box set.

but it doesn't say if thats the normal version or the new stereo mix.
so it's not very clear.

later

It's not confusing at all - the release is titled "Sleepwalk 2020 Stereo Mix". It's not going to named after the b-side is it?
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby postpunkmonk » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:55 am

Why can I not see any details on any RSD site of the releases that will be out in 2 weeks? Normally, they release the list weeks in advance. I will actually be in the UK during RSD this year and would love to buy the "Sleepwalk" 12" but getting any sort of info [except from negative1ne] is impossible! Where is this stuff hiding on the web?

Still shocked at the notion of a "Vienna" SDLX box. I thought that well had been bled dry. There's the 2xCD with B-sides/remixes/rough mixes. The recent LP reissue. The BBC live disc. If Steven Wilson will have a 5.1 of "Vienna" that would be slightly interesting, but how could he top Conny Plank? [answer: he can't]. But what else could be in the box?

Disc 1: "Vienna" album
Disc 2: B-sides/12" singles
Disc 3: Live concert? I would be interested to hear some of the Foxx era live stuff from that tour.
Disc 4: More demos/rough mixes? Were there any BBC sessions apart from the 1977 Foxx lineup already released? I can't imagine more rough mixes as those weren't very interesting.
Disc 5 Steven Wilson 2020 2.0 mix
Disc 5: DVD in 5.1 + videos
Disc 6: Clear vinyl LP?
Price: more than it's worth to me.

In a worst case scenario, it will all be on LP only with a Blu-Ray of the digital audio. It's potentially irritating to have the rare album I enjoy get the SDLX treatment but I really can't see anything compelling happening here. I think my days of compulsively collecting Ultravox are in the past.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby ZippY » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:17 am

postpunkmonk wrote:Why can I not see any details on any RSD site of the releases that will be out in 2 weeks? Normally, they release the list weeks in advance. I will actually be in the UK during RSD this year and would love to buy the "Sleepwalk" 12" but getting any sort of info [except from negative1ne] is impossible! Where is this stuff hiding on the web?

Still shocked at the notion of a "Vienna" SDLX box. I thought that well had been bled dry. There's the 2xCD with B-sides/remixes/rough mixes. The recent LP reissue. The BBC live disc. If Steven Wilson will have a 5.1 of "Vienna" that would be slightly interesting, but how could he top Conny Plank? [answer: he can't]. But what else could be in the box?

Disc 1: "Vienna" album
Disc 2: B-sides/12" singles
Disc 3: Live concert? I would be interested to hear some of the Foxx era live stuff from that tour.
Disc 4: More demos/rough mixes? Were there any BBC sessions apart from the 1977 Foxx lineup already released? I can't imagine more rough mixes as those weren't very interesting.
Disc 5 Steven Wilson 2020 2.0 mix
Disc 5: DVD in 5.1 + videos
Disc 6: Clear vinyl LP?
Price: more than it's worth to me.

In a worst case scenario, it will all be on LP only with a Blu-Ray of the digital audio. It's potentially irritating to have the rare album I enjoy get the SDLX treatment but I really can't see anything compelling happening here. I think my days of compulsively collecting Ultravox are in the past.

Wonder how many tracks your Disc 2 will have: ... there's not that many B-sides and/or 12 inch singles available from that 1980 period. Ofcourse, this is a big "if".

I'd rather have a re-issue of Midge Ure's 2 solo albums from the 80's. Those were 2CD Definitive Editions back in 2009 just like the Ultravox ones they did.
In 2017 the Ultravox ones were re-issued (in digi-packs), but not the Midge ones. Here's hoping.
ZippY
Personal Jesus

Postby postpunkmonk » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:35 am

ZippY wrote:I'd rather have a re-issue of Midge Ure's 2 solo albums from the 80's. Those were 2CD Definitive Editions back in 2009 just like the Ultravox ones they did.
In 2017 the Ultravox ones were re-issued (in digi-packs), but not the Midge ones. Here's hoping.

I hear you there. A friend finally found that 2xCD of "The Gift" for me a while back. A great listen and a big step up for that album. Definitely definitive. I never got the "Answers" Def Ed but I'm not really into that album much. I missed the 2009 2xCD of "Lament" but I did get the 2017 copy; very impressive with the thermographic printing like the LP cover.
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby eighties » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:11 am

All the best,
eighties
eighties
Personal Jesus

Postby BigManRestless » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:52 am

I'm not usually a fan of live stuff but I'd like to hear spruced up versions of tapes from the band's 1979 US tour, when they played a lot of Foxx era material. They weren't signed to Chrysalis at the time so it may be out of scope.

If Steve Wilson is involved I'd imagine / hope a 5.1 is in on the cards, but also bear in mind a few years ago Roxy Music put out a single for RSD that included Steve Wilson remixes that didn't appear on the (much delayed) super deluxe edition of their debut album.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby postpunkmonk » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:08 am

BigManRestless wrote:If Steve Wilson is involved I'd imagine / hope a 5.1 is in on the cards, but also bear in mind a few years ago Roxy Music put out a single for RSD that included Steve Wilson remixes that didn't appear on the (much delayed) super deluxe edition of their debut album.

Grrrrr. Salt in my wounds.
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:17 am

The "definitive" double CD from way back covered everything, so we definitely won't get anything new (mainly because the band weren't prolific, which they themselves admitted readily, and almost everything they finished ended up released). I guess the focus will be on new mixes - but I just can't be bothered with them. Nothing will ever replace the magic of the original version. Those new mixes are a waste of time - a substitute for creativity, maybe another way to wringle some money from the labels (no bad thing, if that's the case).

I wonder will John Foxx trot out 40th anniversary box set of "Metamatic". It was only re-released five times, and even the fifth wasn't completely full!). He can always find (or make) another two-minute ARP noodle - like that unforgettable classic "Approaching the Monument": four minutes of barely audible white noise! Where was that evergreen hiding for 38 years?! Sacrilege! Or, i'm sure, there is always a new "drum machine experiment" or an "early version"... Come to think of it, no early versions/demos/dub mixes of three songs from the B-side of the album ever surfaced. C'mon John, reveal, we want them! And surely those can constitute a 4th CD. And in five years' time there can be another box of 5 CDs, and so on. Money-spinning juggernaut! :D

Sorry, got carried away a bit...
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby negative1 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:03 am

here's a description of the single:

Exclusive 12” Clear vinyl for RSD. A 40th Anniversary release of Ultravox’s debut single with Midge Ure on vocals. Originally only released on 7” single in 1980, this will be the first time on 12” and features a brand-new stereo mix by Steven Wilson. A-side ‘Sleepwalk [2020 Stereo Mix], B-side ‘Waiting [2020 Stereo Mix]. the A-side is taken from the forthcoming 'Vienna' 40th Anniversary Box Set for late Summer 2020.

Track Listing:
A1 Sleepwalk (Steve Wilson Stereo Mix)
A2 Waiting (Steve Wilson Stereo Mix)
B1 Sleepwalk (Conny Plank 1980 Mix)
B2 Waiting (Conny Plank 1980 Mix)

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:00 am

negative1 wrote:here's a description of the single:

Exclusive 12” Clear vinyl for RSD. A 40th Anniversary release of Ultravox’s debut single with Midge Ure on vocals. Originally only released on 7” single in 1980, this will be the first time on 12” and features a brand-new stereo mix by Steven Wilson. A-side ‘Sleepwalk [2020 Stereo Mix], B-side ‘Waiting [2020 Stereo Mix]. the A-side is taken from the forthcoming 'Vienna' 40th Anniversary Box Set for late Summer 2020.

Track Listing:
A1 Sleepwalk (Steve Wilson Stereo Mix)
A2 Waiting (Steve Wilson Stereo Mix)
B1 Sleepwalk (Conny Plank 1980 Mix)
B2 Waiting (Conny Plank 1980 Mix)

later

In theory I want this. In practice… I still don't have the RSD "Metamatic" gatefold from 2014 or whatever!
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby NuWavo80s » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:42 pm

Ultravox's 'Vienna' & 'Passing Strangers'
videos were played number 135 & 151
on MTV's first day on August 1, 1981

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJeWySiuq1I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxeaULG3EOU
NuWavo80s