Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Looking for a decent program to clean up vinyl

Discussions about vinyl records: rarities, obscurities and collectibles, promos, mixes, etc. DJ-related discussions are welcome as well as techniques for recording & restoring vinyl records to CD/MP3.

Looking for a decent program to clean up vinyl

Postby Yachtingtype » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:44 am

Hello,

Hoping this is the right place to post this sort of topic, I am in need of a vinyl cleaning program that is used for the MAC

I have tried several but none seem to work right on my part. SoundSoap would not even load up and Amadeus says I need to upgrade my MAC

I have used Clickrepair, but want to know what else there is to offer before I purchase the Clickrepair program

Thank you for your time and help
Yachtingtype
The Jet Set

Postby drsevrin » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:09 pm

Yep, it's the right place. I'm assuming you're running some version of OS 10.

Roxio offers a program called CD Spin Doctor:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/spind ... rview.html

It used to also come bundled with their burning software, Toast, but it's not clear if it's included in Toast 8. It provides basis editing capability using filters to de-crackle, de-hiss, and de-click. Three additional enhancement algorithms are provided to compensate for some of the high and low frequency loss caused by the filters, and improve channel separation for a more pronounced stereo effect. It's main drawback is you cannot manually edit the waveform; the more severely worn vinyl may not easily be cleaned up by it. Bad pops and clicks will remain to some degree. But, I've been extremely happy with it for high-volume ripping of vinyl in moderate to good shape. After some experimentation you can find settings which in my opinion will produce a sound superior to the original vinyl.

Another simple and inexpensive option is Final Vinyl by Griffin:

http://www.macmusic.org/software/view.p ... en/id/316/

If more advanced editing is what you're looking for, at the expense of ease of use and price, try one of the Peak products by Bias. They have demos you can dowload. I prefer CD Spin Doctor over Peak because it's faster, easier and sounds reasonably good.

http://www.bias-inc.com/products/
drsevrin
Personal Jesus

Postby Yachtingtype » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:44 pm

Okay, thank you so much for the reply

The only problem is I tried to download Final Vinyl and every time I try to open the file it will appear in my dock on the bottom of my screen and than instantly disappear. What's going on here? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you
Yachtingtype
The Jet Set

Postby eight6 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:21 pm

I'm not sure any of the ones I use are Mac compatible but here they are anyway:

For most recording of vinyl and use as the work platform I use DC6. It's an excellent basic editing/restoration tool. Additionally, I use Algorithmix's Scratchfree, Noisefree and their Linearphase Red and Orange EQs. Combined, these will remove 90+% of all clicks/pops/noise without having to perform any manual functions and without leaving any digital artifacts (properly used of course). If you're a perfectionist, DC6 has a great manual interpolation tool leaving no trace of the offending click/pop.
eight6
Room at the Top

Postby coop41 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:52 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by eight6[/i]
<br>I'm not sure any of the ones I use are Mac compatible but here they are anyway:

For most recording of vinyl and use as the work platform I use DC6. It's an excellent basic editing/restoration tool. Additionally, I use Algorithmix's Scratchfree, Noisefree and their Linearphase Red and Orange EQs. Combined, these will remove 90+% of all clicks/pops/noise without having to perform any manual functions and without leaving any digital artifacts (properly used of course). If you're a perfectionist, DC6 has a great manual interpolation tool leaving no trace of the offending click/pop.

[/quote]

and it's relatively easy to use too!
coop41
Room at the Top

Postby drsevrin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:40 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by Yachtingtype[/i]
<br>Okay, thank you so much for the reply[/quote]
You're welcome
[quote]The only problem is I tried to download Final Vinyl and every time I try to open the file it will appear in my dock on the bottom of my screen and than instantly disappear. What's going on here? Am I doing something wrong?
[/quote]
No, I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Try this: http://www.griffintechnology.com/suppor ... artnum=264

My copy is launching OK. I'm running FV version 2.0 and OS 10.3.9 (non-intel chip). Good luck.
drsevrin
Personal Jesus

Postby Yachtingtype » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:27 am

I'm still running into a problem. After an entire day of system updates I am still unable to load Final Vinyl successfully. Am I missing something? What is iMic? Do I need that to run this program? Sorry for all the questions, I tried to e-mail support but that lead me nowhere. Please let me know if you have any other ideas.

Thanks again!
Yachtingtype
The Jet Set

Postby drsevrin » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:07 pm

<br>I'm still running into a problem. After an entire day of system updates I am still unable to load Final Vinyl successfully. Am I missing something? What is iMic? Do I need that to run this program? Sorry for all the questions, I tried to e-mail support but that lead me nowhere. Please let me know if you have any other ideas.

Thanks again!
[/quote]

I think you've found the problem. The iMic is Griffin's USB audio interface that takes an analog audio input via a 1/8" jack, digitizes it and sends it to your computer using a USB port. I have an iMic and use it all the time - it costs about $31 (on Amazon) and provides an easy way to connect your analog turntable/amp to your computer. The Final Vinyl literature says this: "Final Vinyl is an audio recording and editing application that works <B>exclusively</B> with the Griffin family of audio devices." This would of course include the iMic. When I launch FV it will only allow me to select the iMic as the audio input.

It looks like you have several options: buy the iMic and try again to launch Final Vinyl, or, if you've already got a way to connect the turntable to your Mac, try either CD Spin Doctor or one of the Bias products, neither of which seem to be so picky about input hardware. How are you currently connecting your Mac to your turntable?
drsevrin
Personal Jesus

Postby Yachtingtype » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:40 am

Currently I am using ION Version 1.3 iTTUSB USB Turntable

BIAS sound creative

I am going to try and launch Final Vinyl while I have the ION disc in

Thanks again
Yachtingtype
The Jet Set

Postby Yachtingtype » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:41 am

NOPE and the program is Audacity BTW

Thanks
Yachtingtype
The Jet Set

Postby Frau_Blucher » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:34 am

<br>NOPE and the program is Audacity BTW
[/quote]
Just start with this for now...Audacity with your turntable hooked in through its own USB. Read the turntable's guides on how to have Apple's Audio/MIDI Setup configured (default input, properties, source, etc...pretty self-explanatory).
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Yachtingtype » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:50 am

Thanks for the help everybody, but it seems I am still stuck...oh well
Yachtingtype
The Jet Set

Postby Plastik44 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:25 am

I hope you don't mind if I hop onto this train. I have just tried audacity and it's a pile of sh... when it comes to removing the clicks and pops. I worked with Clean and Nero Wave Editor before when I had a PC and especially Clean by Pinnacle did a good job. coop's hint seems great, but won't work for the MAC, will it?
Plastik44
Personal Jesus

Postby Plastik44 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:34 am

I've just tried Spin - doesn't give me the results I want. This vinyl is from the early 60s and has a lot of pops, crackle and noise. I wish I had Clean on the MAC...
Plastik44
Personal Jesus

Postby Yachtingtype » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:01 am

Plastik44, thanks for your posting. Yeah, I wish there was a decent program out there that would clean up the clicks and pops. I have a PC but do my work on the MAC so it would be more convenient for me. I have searched around for hours and came up with nothing. Oh well...maybe there is hope one day.

Thanks
Yachtingtype
The Jet Set

Next

Return to Vinylmania!