Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Howard Jones "Human's Lib & Dream Into Action" Boxsets

Re: Howard Jones "Human's Lib & Dream Into Action" Boxsets

Postby audiodile » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:40 pm

You only need look at the recent Dead Or Alive "Sophisticated Boom Box" set, the original price of around $100-120 might have seemed steep at the time, but now if you can even find a copy you're going to pay twice that.

I didn't get it because I assumed they'd release expanded editions of the individual albums, but there's no sign of that and now I'm wondering if I missed my chance. So I'm not sure if I'd be willing to wait if you really want these.
audiodile
Take On Me

Postby moni » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:21 pm

If people want vinyl that's fine sell it separately instead of this stupid trend now of sticking them in box sets with the main aim to bump up the price. I thought his box sets from 10 years ago were expensive but these super deluxes are really taking the piss and having to spend £90 just to get that Last World Dream concert is a joke.
moni
Room at the Top

Postby ZippY » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:26 am

moni wrote:If people want vinyl that's fine sell it separately instead of this stupid trend now of sticking them in box sets with the main aim to bump up the price. I thought his box sets from 10 years ago were expensive but these super deluxes are really taking the piss and having to spend £90 just to get that Last World Dream concert is a joke.

... or to get the Hide & Seek 7 inch B-side Tao Te Ching for example ...
ZippY
Personal Jesus

Postby obs » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:46 am

moni wrote:... and having to spend £90 just to get that Last World Dream concert is a joke.

Funny, but I'm reading this Prince, Purple Rain book, and it mentioned that in 1984/1985, people were outraged that tickets to the Jacksons' Victory Tour was $30USD. Prince was charging under $20 for his shows. The good old days :) .

In general, a lot of tickets to shows are too high for my liking, so I just don't go. If I'm paying $100, it better be at a smaller venue. No Fing way I'm paying that for a stadium show.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:24 am

audiodile wrote:You only need look at the recent Dead Or Alive "Sophisticated Boom Box" set, the original price of around $100-120 might have seemed steep at the time, but now if you can even find a copy you're going to pay twice that.

I didn't get it because I assumed they'd release expanded editions of the individual albums, but there's no sign of that and now I'm wondering if I missed my chance. So I'm not sure if I'd be willing to wait if you really want these.

I thought that "Sophisticated Boom Box" was a bargain…if I were that big a fan of DOA I would have surely made it happen. What irritated me was the Roxy Music boxed set of CDs with 2xCDs of rare edits, mixes, and non-LP A/B sides. I didn't buy it for $70 in 2012 because I was waiting for the Super Deluxe Boxed sets of each album for $80 [right?] that would naturally have all of that material in it. And I waited… six years. Finally, the SDE of "Roxy Music" was released in 2018; a 3xCD+DVD+book set with zero of the bonus material in the "complete" set that would have been there if I had been in charge. The price? $150. And the biggest insult of all? The "Complete Studio Recordings" is now selling on you-know-where.com for $300-600! OUCH!
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:56 pm

postpunkmonk wrote:
audiodile wrote:You only need look at the recent Dead Or Alive "Sophisticated Boom Box" set, the original price of around $100-120 might have seemed steep at the time, but now if you can even find a copy you're going to pay twice that.

I thought that "Sophisticated Boom Box" was a bargain…if I were that big a fan of DOA I would have surely made it happen. What irritated me was the Roxy Music boxed set of CDs with 2xCDs of rare edits, mixes, and non-LP A/B sides. I didn't buy it for $70 in 2012 because I was waiting for the Super Deluxe Boxed sets of each album for $80 [right?] that would naturally have all of that material in it. And I waited… six years. Finally, the SDE of "Roxy Music" was released in 2018; a 3xCD+DVD+book set with zero of the bonus material in the "complete" set that would have been there if I had been in charge. The price? $150. And the biggest insult of all? The "Complete Studio Recordings" is now selling on you-know-where.com for $300-600! OUCH!

what people keep forgetting is that howard jones is NOWHERE near as popular
(relatively speaking), so that won't be a problem finding these in the end.
much like the flock of seagulls recent boxset, which isnt going anywhere either.

Dead or alive really doesn't have any kind of fanbase either, but at least some people remembered them.
tears for fears fans have died out or lost interest, but they still didn't make enough to fill the demand.

i have no clue about roxy music, because i don't care about their music, but i guess they still have some fans,
which might explain their resurgence.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Thefxc2 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:50 pm

obs wrote:
Funny, but I'm reading this Prince, Purple Rain book, and it mentioned that in 1984/1985, people were outraged that tickets to the Jacksons' Victory Tour was $30USD. Prince was charging under $20 for his shows. The good old days :) .

In general, a lot of tickets to shows are too high for my liking, so I just don't go. If I'm paying $100, it better be at a smaller venue. No Fing way I'm paying that for a stadium show.

IIRC the issue with the Jacksons tickets was that you had to buy them in blocks of four.
Thefxc2
Take On Me

Postby eddie » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:27 am

humanracer wrote:Do you think the super deluxe will go down in price or is it worth getting now?

In terms of size/content it compares very favourably with other artists similar releases. Depends how many super deluxe they are producing. For example, sony had a huge distribution problem with the similarly sized springsteen darkness set so it actually stayed or even went up a little for a while whereas the follow up river release went down much quicker. At the moment they look like the only things i want this winter so howard'll be getting £180 off me first week in december.
Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby postpunkmonk » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:01 am

negative1 wrote:Dead or alive really doesn't have any kind of fanbase either, but at least some people remembered them.
tears for fears fans have died out or lost interest, but they still didn't make enough to fill the demand.

I don't know. I saw Pete Burns in 1993/4 do a solo show and bought his tape, "Love, Pete" for $10 at the merch table. I sold it in 2005 for over $300. Bidding was fierce but an American woman [with no cassette deck] outbid all of the Europeans! TFF were the monster band of the mid-80s. I like them …okay [the first two albums only] but others beg to differ. 30 million albums sold.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:28 pm

postpunkmonk wrote:
negative1 wrote:Dead or alive really doesn't have any kind of fanbase either, but at least some people remembered them.

I don't know. I saw Pete Burns in 1993/4 do a solo show and bought his tape, "Love, Pete" for $10 at the merch table. I sold it in 2005 for over $300. Bidding was fierce but an American woman [with no cassette deck] outbid all of the Europeans! TFF were the monster band of the mid-80s. I like them …okay [the first two albums only] but others beg to differ. 30 million albums sold.

there are many new wave bands that have sold tons of records around the world and the US also, that doesn't mean they have any
kind of fanbase now:
exceptions- u2, depeche mode, the cure

the rest can barely fill small and midsize arenas. the last few shows that tears for fears toured for weren't even sell outs, and had a few thousand people at the most.

collectors values rare items, so of course, they still go for money, but they are in the niche.

almost every 80's band you can think of has lost 90% or more of their original fanbase, that's just how time has treated them.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby magnum » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:00 pm

tracklisting looks good on both,,,,,,but the price tag looks like being a hefty one,,,,wouldnt shock me if its gets leaked in the usual places in any case.
magnum
The Jet Set

Postby omar » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:41 am

anyone ordered these or received them yet?
omar
Room at the Top

Postby CRM » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:04 pm

Both sets are up on Spotify.
CRM
Switchin' to Glide

Postby negative1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:55 am

negative1
Room at the Top

Postby discoginfo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:56 am

A little bit late, but why did they include the Extended version of What Is Love twice?? On CD 1 (here it replaces the regular LP version, like it did when it was first released on CD in 1984) and then again as "extended version" on CD 2. They are identical.
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Previous

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations