Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Soft Cell "Keychains & Snowstorms" 9 CD+DVD Boxset

Re: Soft Cell "Keychains & Snowstorms" 9 CD+DVD Boxset

Postby Surly » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Amazon US now states a release date of November 9. The description notes "NTSC Region 0" for the DVD.
"Words like conviction can turn into a sentence"
Surly
The Jet Set

Postby Sean » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:49 am

Has this been released in the UK? I can't tell looking at Amazon.co.uk.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby anfunny2003 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:48 pm

Yes, it's out. I pre-ordered from Amazon UK but it hadn't charged my card or dispatched at midnight, so I went and cancelled and picked it up in HMV this morning instead. It's been out of stock on Amazon for weeks now, so they must've had stock issues.

It's a really nice set (same style as Marc's recent one of his own) and I already played four of the ten discs! I did...

The Early Years
Rarities, Alternative Versions & Curios
Extended Versions & New Mixes
Non-Stop Euphoric Dubbing

...in that order, as I felt it made more sense. Sounded great to me! Really enjoyed every disc - the new mixes are very good and use only the original elements. Euphoric Dubbing is excellent - a more ambient, downtempo companion to the previous instalment, if you like. Looking forward to checking out the other discs over the weekend.
anfunny2003
Personal Jesus

Postby Sean » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:57 pm

Thanks anfunny2003.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby Surly » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:35 pm

anfunny2003 wrote:Yes, it's out. I pre-ordered from Amazon UK but it hadn't charged my card or dispatched at midnight, so I went and cancelled and picked it up in HMV this morning instead. It's been out of stock on Amazon for weeks now, so they must've had stock issues.

It's a really nice set (same style as Marc's recent one of his own) and I already played four of the ten discs! I did...

The Early Years
Rarities, Alternative Versions & Curios
Extended Versions & New Mixes
Non-Stop Euphoric Dubbing

...in that order, as I felt it made more sense. Sounded great to me! Really enjoyed every disc - the new mixes are very good and use only the original elements. Euphoric Dubbing is excellent - a more ambient, downtempo companion to the previous instalment, if you like. Looking forward to checking out the other discs over the weekend.

Can you confirm if the DVD is NTSC or PAL Region 0?
Surly
The Jet Set

Postby BigManRestless » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:36 am

Never mind the format - the DVD doesn't work. When I try and select BBC Performances the disc grinds and grinds away in the player and nothing happens. A few other people online have been reporting the same thing. Such a shame this is screwed up as the music discs are great.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby Surly » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:25 am

BigManRestless wrote:Never mind the format - the DVD doesn't work. When I try and select BBC Performances the disc grinds and grinds away in the player and nothing happens. A few other people online have been reporting the same thing. Such a shame this is screwed up as the music discs are great.

Yeah, I saw those reports today as well. Ugh, what a mess. I'll wait this one out until I hear of them fixing this.
Surly
The Jet Set

Postby Gary Russell » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:42 pm

Yeah 8 really nicely done audios discs but the dvd is utterly buggered. The music is most important to me but will certainly look forward to seeing what gets done about the dvd
Gary Russell
Take On Me

Postby Sean » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:06 am

I haven't gotten mine yet but the main reason I am getting it is for the dvd. That's really a bummer if there are problems with the dvd. Since mine was delayed for some reason, I am hoping a fixed dvd.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby CRM » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:19 pm

What an expensive joke. Absolutely appalling how poor quality control is with many reissues (particularly expensive ones). I've done the odd bit of proof listening/checking for reissue labels but this kind of thing really should be mandatory anyway and done in a thorough fashion.
CRM
Switchin' to Glide

Postby crystal » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:10 am

CRM wrote:What an expensive joke. Absolutely appalling how poor quality control is with many reissues (particularly expensive ones). I've done the odd bit of proof listening/checking for reissue labels but this kind of thing really should be mandatory anyway and done in a thorough fashion.

Well said!
Really a shame what is happening again with such a boxset. It seems that labels think if they market something as 'deluxe' people will keep the set sealed + never listen to it anyway... Otherwise there is no excuse for such things.
Especially sad with this sad, was really looking forward to box.
crystal
Personal Jesus

Postby Gary Russell » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:14 am

Here's the info:

Universal Music are sorry to inform you that owing to a hand-packing issue, some of the DVD discs featured in the Soft Cell Keychains & Snowstorms Boxset have been damaged causing playing issues, such as freezing and juddering.”

We would like to make you aware that due to this issue we are currently pressing additional copies of the DVD for anyone who has been affected. If you have experienced problems with your DVD and would like a replacement disc, please contact infoumc@umusic.com with proof of purchase (a scan, screen grab or photo of the receipt will do) and your address and it will be sent out to you.
Gary Russell
Take On Me

Postby CRM » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:41 pm

There is also this part of Universal's statement, in response to the DVD and booklet issues:

PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT THE RETAILER YOU BOUGHT YOUR BOX SET FROM AS UNIVERSAL ARE DEALING WITH IT DIRECTLY, AND KINDLY PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY FURTHER ISSUES ON SOCIAL MEDIA.

Who the hell do they think they are re the social media comment? A shame as at least they are being efficient in resolving the issues.
CRM
Switchin' to Glide

Postby BigManRestless » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:08 am

CRM wrote:Who the hell do they think they are re the social media comment? A shame as at least they are being efficient in resolving the issues.

People who would rather blame the factory workers than the DVD authors for this. Rather than saying 'We screwed up on quality control" blame the people lower down the production chain. Pretty crappy behaviour. How would 'hand packing' make all the DVDs screw up in exactly the same place for so many people - i.e. the BBC section ?

Kudos for fixing it - but these mistakes would not happen if labels would pay for quality control.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby CRM » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:32 am

Having done that kind of quality control thing in the past for the odd label, I contacted some reissue labels a few months ago, all of which had some history with audio/video issues, offering my services. They all said that they had it covered. Sure...

As quite a few people have pointed out on this forum, there really isn't a huge amount of profit to be gained from most reissues. This does mean that corners are cut, especially when it comes to mastering and checking the final product. But if such a slack approach means often having to repress part of the product, wouldn't it be better to spend a small amount on having the release thoroughly checked and approved before manufacture?

It would also help if people weren't fobbed off with such a bullshit excuse of "hand packing" - even Stevie Wonder can see that it's a DVD authoring problem.
CRM
Switchin' to Glide

PreviousNext

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations