Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Does the Mexican-American Community Still Love Morrissey?

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Does the Mexican-American Community Still Love Morrissey?

Postby q89747 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:55 pm

q89747
Personal Jesus

Re: Does the Mexican-American Community Still Love Morrissey

Postby bpdp3 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:35 am

This has always been a baffling phenomenon for me, but the article makes reference to the importance of his 'image' as a greaser, with the 50's haircut, B&W photo images, etc. This 'look' is popular with that demographic apparently. Maybe it's enough so that it over-rides his anti-immigration politics. (Actually, in the 50's people often WERE anti-immigration... think West Side Story....so Morrissey is stll in-line with that image).

Is your love for an artist enough to overlook his/her politics? It will be interesting to see if Kanye West takes any kind of hit among the critics and fans following his support for Trump. Maybe (although doubtful) all his fans are already Trump supporters so it will bolster his popularity? The critics have always adored his albums. Let's say he puts out his very best album ever, without question. Will it still get praised by left-minded critics?

In the 80's, without the internet, there were fewer opportunities for fans to know the politics of their idols. If Sinead hadn't ripped up the pope on SNL, you wouldn't have known her views. Likewise, if the Dixie Chicks hadn't spoke against Bush in concert, they still might get played on country radio. You had to do something big to get your politics noticed. NOW, you just need to type a couple sentences on twitter....then watch the parade!
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby obs » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:21 pm

And here I was, thinking that it was just a thing they made up for Ant-Man and the Wasp.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby q89747 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:12 pm

bpdp3 wrote:
Is your love for an artist enough to overlook his/her politics?

Sound Opinions explored this very question last year:
https://soundopinions.org/show/615
q89747
Personal Jesus

Postby FreeWave » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:11 pm

I don't think his popularity has waned over there. He appeared to be touring over in Southern America just this last year. There's been a recent movement to really reject his past accomplishments on his current dumbass comments. I think he's always made controversial and contrarian comments on purpose. It's just how he is. I can agree that Japan's desire to kill exotic animals for food is crude and inhumane without agreeing with that it discards them as a whole people. He's always said anti-meat statements that have riled up countless people and I both agree and disagree with those at the same time. He's also been protective of the UK identity and anti-monarchy simultaneously. In many way he's a conservative but also not.

Being a Morrissey fan means loving the guy still and think he can be self-destructive and idiotic at the same time. In our PC culture that has made him a bit of an outcast but when have the Smiths ever not been somewhat of an underground band and left of center? Anyway I still love him, even if he occasionally sounds like a racist uncle.
My Weblinks. Check out the Synthwave Styles Blog and RYM Box Set Blog for even more Genre Guides. NWO's and My New Wave Favorites.
FreeWave
Personal Jesus

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions