Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Soft Cell "Keychains & Snowstorms" 9 CD+DVD Boxset

Re: Soft Cell "Keychains & Snowstorms" 9 CD+DVD Boxset

Postby BigManRestless » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:00 pm

I'm worried now that Universal think it's to do with scratched / marked discs due to the packaging (or 'hand packing' if they insist) rather than a botched authoring of the DVD disc.
If they just sent replacement DVDs without correcting the authoring issue people will just have a second unplayable DVD.

No doubt there won't be time to correct this before the farewell gig, where I daresay they'll be flogging more of these sets with a disc that doesn't work.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby Sean » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:40 pm

Minor fingerprints on factory pressed silver dvd's should not make it freeze or skip, especially in the exact same place. That's a bunch of bull crap. Every time I get dvd's and I turned to the back side and see "Universal", I know I am going to have problems with the disc whether it's bad quality videos or bad discs. Sony seems to make much better quality discs as I have experienced in the past.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby negative1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:01 pm

Sean wrote:Minor fingerprints on factory pressed silver dvd's should not make it freeze or skip, especially in the exact same place. That's a bunch of bull crap. Every time I get dvd's and I turned to the back side and see "Universal", I know I am going to have problems with the disc whether it's bad quality videos or bad discs. Sony seems to make much better quality discs as I have experienced in the past.

sony is worse, with rootkits, and propietary formats. junk.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Rubellan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:13 pm

I just got this abomination today. My DVD will not play, my book split the second time I opened it, and it is EXTREMELY compressed audio.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Willbfree » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:43 pm

Back when DVDs were a thing, I’d sometimes need to rip and reauthor a disc that had been authored improperly. I haven’t done so in years, maybe a decade, but as I recall it was just a matter of using DVD Shrink or DVDFab or similar applications (I think I used one by Nero that was basically a branded version of DVD Shrink) but setting it not to reduce the size at all.

Back in the day, studios were trying all sorts of techniques to make their DVDs needlessly complicated in the hope that it would make the discs less easily copied. But these were barely within specifications, so all it did really was make them fail to play back properly.

Reauthoring made a better disc, well within specifications.
Willbfree
Take On Me

Postby LPCDMP3 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:45 pm

Got mine finally. DVD plays fine all the way through.
LPCDMP3
Take On Me

Postby Surly » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:40 am

Received my copy about a week ago; got it from Lexer Music as there was a recent Facebook post stating they had received "corrected" stock. DVD plays perfectly.
"Words like conviction can turn into a sentence"
Surly
The Jet Set

Postby Barmy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:07 am

The DVD may be fixed but the compressed audio is forever. The 3-CD 12 inch release from years back should be adequate for most people.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby obs » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:33 am

Barmy wrote:The 3-CD 12 inch release from years back should be adequate for most people.

Except that they Fed that one up by putting the regular version of "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye 91" instead of the 8min+ 12" version :D .
Sorry, I had to mention it, since it's my favourite Soft Cell song. Good thing I have it on the Memorabilia CA CD. If you have the US CD of Memorabilia, you got Jobbed (again) :D .
obs
Room at the Top

Postby ZippY » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:17 am

obs wrote:
Barmy wrote:The 3-CD 12 inch release from years back should be adequate for most people.

Except that they Fed that one up by putting the regular version of "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye 91" instead of the 8min+ 12" version :D .
Sorry, I had to mention it, since it's my favourite Soft Cell song. Good thing I have it on the Memorabilia CA CD. If you have the US CD of Memorabilia, you got Jobbed (again) :D .

My copy is from 1999 and had the normal 12 inch version of SHWG on it:
https://www.discogs.com/Soft-Cell-The-T ... ase/326432
CD 1, track 8

Ofcourse, like most CD versions, it's missing about 27 seconds from the original vinyl version back in the day.

Funny thing: I never even knew that that 3-CD version was limited! Later versions omitted the first track:
Tainted Love (1999 Club 69 Future Mix) which was quite a good mix for the time.
ZippY
Personal Jesus

Postby obs » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:29 am

I'm talking about "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye '91" :)

Not really limited. It's just that the US release has that extra track. "Club 69" isn't my bag, but regardless, I would generally rather have an extra track than not have it :D .
obs
Room at the Top

Postby Fred Taghon » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:03 pm

I'm organizing my digital rips of my Soft Cell collection which is always great to quickly compare different versions of songs. I notice that the "Loving You, Hating Me" (3:04) on the 20trk single disc of "Keychains And Snowstorms" is unlike any other version I have. Can anyone shed some light on the origins of this mix?

While I'm at it, how about the origins of the version of "Soul Inside" on the 1991 "Memorabilia" album?
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Previous

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations