Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Musik-music-musique dawn of synth pop

Musik-music-musique dawn of synth pop

Postby thunderbird2 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:43 am

All , this looks reasonable and not your normal selection
i presume because of the rarity of some of these they will be mastered from vinyl. Still Cherry red have been doing some really good box sets/compilations recently

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/mus ... tists-3cd/

TRACK LISTING

DISC ONE

1. MESSAGES – Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
2. MUSIK, MUSIC, MUSIQUE – Zeus
3. COITUS INTERRUPTUS –
Fad Gadget
4. COMPUTED MAN – Xynn
5. METAL LOVE – Rod Vey
6. PERFORMANCE VENDOR’S BOX – Gina X
7. LAWNCHAIRS –
Our Daughter’s Wedding
8. TOKYO – Science
9. ONLY AFTER DARK –
The Human League
10. VICTIMS OF THE RIDDLE – Toyah
11. DCT DREAMS – Nick Nicely
12. DIAMONDS, FUR COAT, CHAMPAGNE – Suicide
13. WAITING – Ultravox
14. MONEY – Moebius
15. FALLING YEARS – The Fallout Club
16. DA VORNE STEHT NE AMPEL –
Der Plan
17. NO, NOTHING, NEVER – Dark Day
18. SONS AND LOVERS –
Hazel O’Connor
19. SYMPATHY – Pauline Murray
And The Invisible Girls

DISC TWO

1. GLOW – Spandau Ballet
2. OFFICIAL SECRETS – M
3. CHIP N ROLL – Silicon Teens
4. GALACTICA – Rockets
5. TUNING IN TUNING ON – Kim Wilde
6. EUROPEAN MAN – Landscape
7. CAN’T YOU TAKE A JOKE? HA HA HI HI! – Henriette Coulouvrat
8. A CIRCUIT LIKE ME –
The Metronomes
9. NO ONE DRIVING – John Foxx
10. KEBABTRÄUME – D.A.F.
11. HARMONITALK –
Gary Sloan And Clone
12. YELLOW PEARL – Philip Lynott
13. DALEK I LOVE YOU (DESTINY) –
Dalek I
14. MANNEQUIN – Taxi Girl
15. THIS WORLD OF WATER – New Musik
16. QUIET LIFE – Japan
17. CHASE THE DRAGON –
Kevin Harrison
18. DISKOMO – The Residents

DISC THREE

1. ASTROBOY (AND THE PROLES ON PARADE) – Buggles
2. MANNEQUIN – Berlin Blondes
3. A CERTAIN WAY TO GO –
The Passage
4. BETWEEN – Sic
5. BIMBO – Yello
6. IMAGES OF DELUSION – Genocide
7. THE LONELY SPY –
Lori And The Chameleons
8. LUCY – Craze
9. I’M A COMPUTER – The Goo-Q
10. DOCTOR …? – Blood Donor
11. BRUSHING YOUR HAIR –
Alex Fergusson
12. DRAWN AND QUARTERED –
The Korgis
13. MIND OF A TOY – Visage
14. D’YA THINK I’M SEXY –
British Standard Unit
15. LIVING WILD – Mataya Clifford
16. PRIVATE LIVES – Systems
17. THE EYES HAVE IT – Karel Fialka
18. SUIS-JE NORMALE – Nini Raviolette
19. CHINA BLUE VISION –
Eyeless In Gaza
20. THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING –
The Red Squares
21. DAMPFRIEMEN – La Dusseldorf
thunderbird2
Personal Jesus

Re: Musik-music-musique dawn of synth pop

Postby postpunkmonk » Thu May 21, 2020 5:45 am

A very well curated collection. I own a third of that but probably need to hear the rest! A third of those names don't even register.
Last edited by postpunkmonk on Tue May 26, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Sean » Fri May 22, 2020 8:27 am

Pretty interesting track list. Wow, someone picked something besides "Video Killed The Radio Star" to post for the Buggles. :D I actually love that "Astroboy" song.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby negative1 » Fri May 22, 2020 5:11 pm

i wonder which version of 'yellow pearl' will they use.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sat May 23, 2020 3:55 pm

Was there really a need for those cover versions? They're pretty crappy and don't deserve such continuing attention from the label.

Overall, a very strange tracklist, a bit like a dump bag - anything and everything, no rhyme or reason. It's fantastic, of course, to finally see the likes of Genocide, Goo-Q and Science on CD, nice to see them paying attention to European acts (wow, Rockets song must be their first appearance on the UK compilation - and what a way to debut! Have a listen, guys, this band is really something and worth all your time! Also Coulouvrat's song is just great, an earworm if there ever was one), they seemingly took time to feature some not obvious acts. But overall it's too mixed and too diverse, which makes me uneasy. Could've been trimmed to very good two CDs easily.

Yet full marks for the effort and continuing quest to unearth long-deserving songs from obscurity.

Oh, and hopefully they'll do everything right and won't butcher songs with horrible mastering, like they're prone to do.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby bpdp3 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:05 pm

What’s the earliest you first heard the term ‘synth pop’ used? I don’t believe it was used in the 70s to discuss kraftwerk. I want to hone in on when it was coined. I recall seeing Trouser Press ran an article called ‘a synth pop primer’ to discuss acts like soft cell, OMD, our daughters wedding, etc. This might be the first time I saw that term in print?
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby BigManRestless » Mon May 25, 2020 3:11 am

Like Post-Punk Monk I own a lot of this already, but I'm really keen to hear the rest.
And as with Buggles not being represented by VKTRS, M are represented by Official Secrets. I wonder if it will be the 7" edit, which I don't think has ever been on CD.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby Chuck50 » Mon May 25, 2020 5:20 am

The wide spread usage of the terms "Synth-pop" and "Minimal" and even "Electro" were sparingly used early on in the late 70's and early 80s but over-all the main word to describe the genre was "Techno-pop". Before the term "Techno-pop" became popular, "Euro-disco" was often used to classify the bands that created up-beat electronic music that was played in dance clubs.

In the early days of the all-encompassing genre of "New Wave" there were several different sub-genres and musical movements or club scenes. There was Post-Punk where several of the bands were an extension of the earlier punk rock movement. Post-Punk was more refined and often incorporated other musical instruments more so than just guitar, bass, and drums, which was primarily the standard for Punk bands. Post -Punk bands incorporated other musical instruments like Horns, Saxophone, Keyboards and Synthesizers, Drum Machines, and other percussion instruments.

Fashion coupled with club scenes produced a couple of musical sub-genres that were sometimes synonymous with "Techno-pop". (New Romantic and Futurist) New Romantic's early foundation was a amalgamation of fashion and club scenes later incorporated into music. (Peacock Punks, Glamor Punks, and Blitz Kids) Some Post-Punk bands because of their musical refinement and musical style i.e. fashion and song lyrics, were labelled New Romantic. Some bands like Soft Cell, OMD, the 2nd version Human League and Ultravox were sometimes labelled as New Romantic and other times classified as Techno-Pop.

The other style/movement that was a precursor to Techno-Pop was Futurist. Futurist incorporated themes of Robotics, Androids, cutting edge technology and science fiction. Bands like Gary Numan, early Human League, and John Foxx era Ultravox were the main inspiration for this sub-genre.

Early on the genres labels of Post-Punk, New Romantic, Euro-disco, Techno-pop, Electro, Minimal, and Synth-pop were sometimes used interchangeably to classify the same bands.

Eventually most of the above mentioned genre labels in the 80s became obsolete as the scene faded (New Romantic & Futurists) or the term morphed into another genre and further defined itself. The example of this is why Techno-pop transitioned into Synth-pop. The first being that the bands that were labelled Techno-pop started to incorporate instrumentation other than just synthesizers and drum machines into their songs and style. Plus in 1985 a new electronic movement began in Detroit, London and Berlin that was called "Techno". That is when the term Synth-pop ultimately replaced and made the term Techno-pop archaic. This also encompassed all of the obsolete sub-genres of the past that fallen under the similar time-period or had a similar style or sound.

The word Electro transitioned into a style of techno-pop mixed with Hip-hop in the mid 80s. In the 90s "Minimal" became a style and sound of the basic use of synths and drum machines an a homage to pre-MIDI and pre-polyphonic synth era.

Musical genres derive from a label coined by a musical journalist or a promoter or a band or even a fan. "New Wave" coined as term is shortened from the phrase "The New Wave of Rock N Roll" which was given to most everything that was new or didn't fit into the established genre or style of the 60s/70s Rock before.
Chuck50
Take On Me

Postby postpunkmonk » Tue May 26, 2020 11:01 am

Chuck50 - Very well stated. I also call the mix of synths and conventional instrumentation "technopop" and it was really over by 1980. Think Bruce Woolley + The Camera Club, or The Buggles. I actually prefer that sound to the all synthetic era. Synthpop came by 1981 when the cheap wave of 3rd generation synths from Japan washed ashore and the first post-CR-78 drum machines allowed single guys/duos to make music without, ugh, drummers. Though back in high school ['78-'81], we called any band that had prominent synthesizers "techno." As we also called guitar based bands "grunge." Hence, Ultravox were "techno." and Ramones were "grunge." You spent too much time listening to one style of music, and sooner or later you had to indulge in the obverse to regain balance.
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby postpunkmonk » Tue May 26, 2020 11:03 am

bpdp3 wrote:What’s the earliest you first heard the term ‘synth pop’ used? I don’t believe it was used in the 70s to discuss kraftwerk. I want to hone in on when it was coined. I recall seeing Trouser Press ran an article called ‘a synth pop primer’ to discuss acts like soft cell, OMD, our daughters wedding, etc. This might be the first time I saw that term in print?

I thought it was early '83 but it was the Dec. '82 issue:
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby postpunkmonk » Tue May 26, 2020 11:08 am

negative1 wrote:i wonder which version of 'yellow pearl' will they use.

later

I hope it's the shortest 2:53 hit single version which is the one I still need. I have the two other short single/LP mixes on 7" and CD, and the 12" mix on vinyl. Not having the 4th hit version is causing me distress.
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Thefxc2 » Tue May 26, 2020 4:10 pm

postpunkmonk wrote:
bpdp3 wrote:What’s the earliest you first heard the term ‘synth pop’ used? I don’t believe it was used in the 70s to discuss kraftwerk. I want to hone in on when it was coined. I recall seeing Trouser Press ran an article called ‘a synth pop primer’ to discuss acts like soft cell, OMD, our daughters wedding, etc. This might be the first time I saw that term in print?

I thought it was early '83 but it was the Dec. '82 issue:

The OED lists the first print usage in a March 1982 Washington Post article: 'In OMD, one senses a passionate communion with the cold heart of synth-pop music.'
Thefxc2
Take On Me

Postby bpdp3 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:30 pm

I think you’re both right that the usage comes somewhere as late as ‘82.

I was thinking it might’ve been used earlier in magazine advertising by labels like Mute, Some Bizarre, Dindisc or the like... but cursory looks in my old magazines were of no avail.

Every genre delineation is of course problematic...and I sure as hell have no interest in arguing with anyone whether Gary Numan is “synth-pop” or not. But in my mind, the phrase came about AFTER the 80-81 emergence / deluge of acts like OMD, Depeche Mode, soft cell, etc. I GUESS this was a correct assumption...?!

Speaking of genre terms... Monk you REALLY used the term ‘grunge’ as early as that for guitar based acts? I never really heard that phrase until of course the ubiquitous Seattle scene of the early 90s!
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby postpunkmonk » Wed May 27, 2020 4:58 am

bpdp3 wrote:I think you’re both right that the usage comes somewhere as late as ‘82.

I was thinking it might’ve been used earlier in magazine advertising by labels like Mute, Some Bizarre, Dindisc or the like... but cursory looks in my old magazines were of no avail.

Every genre delineation is of course problematic...and I sure as hell have no interest in arguing with anyone whether Gary Numan is “synth-pop” or not. But in my mind, the phrase came about AFTER the 80-81 emergence / deluge of acts like OMD, Depeche Mode, soft cell, etc. I GUESS this was a correct assumption...?!

Speaking of genre terms... Monk you REALLY used the term ‘grunge’ as early as that for guitar based acts? I never really heard that phrase until of course the ubiquitous Seattle scene of the early 90s!

Just reporting the facts! We labelled vast chunks of music as either "techno" or "grunge." Except that I liked what I called "grunge" in 1980! It was just "messy" guitar rock. Not a freaking replay of the worst sounds of the 70s!
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Chuck50 » Wed May 27, 2020 5:28 am

Post-Punk Monk is correct. I graduated in 1982 in Los Angeles and as early as 1978, "Wavos" and "Punks" used to call "Stoners"/ "Loadies" who were stuck listening to 70s Rock and Metal music. "Buttrockers" "Dirt Rockers" "Grunge" or "Dirt or Grunge Merchants" see the Wiki excerpt below. The "Buttrockers" refereed to "New Wave" music as "Disco and/or "Techno".

Plus the term "Synth-pop" or Synthesizer Pop isn't a far stretch. The bands used synthesizers so calling the music "Synthpop" which was sparingly used as far back as 1978, isn't that ingenious. Synth-pop as an encompassing term for the genre, took over about 1985 and replaced all of the earlier genre terms like New Romantic, Techno-Pop, Eletro, Minimal...

The word "grunge" is American slang for "someone or something that is repugnant" and also for "dirt".[12][13] The word was first recorded as being applied to Seattle musicians in July 1987 when Bruce Pavitt described Green River's Dry as a Bone EP in a Sub Pop record company catalogue as "gritty vocals, roaring Marshall amps, ultra-loose GRUNGE that destroyed the morals of a generation".[14] Although the word "grunge" has been used to describe bands since the 1960s, this was the first association of grunge with the grinding, sludgy sound of Seattle.[15][16] It is expensive and time consuming to get a recording to sound clean, so for those northwestern bands just starting out it was cheaper for them to leave the sound dirty and just turn up their volume.[15] This dirty sound, due to low budgets, unfamiliarity with recording, and a lack of professionalism may be the origin of the term "grunge".[17]
Last edited by Chuck50 on Wed May 27, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck50
Take On Me

Next

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations