Site Announcements
Congratulations to
PMG4


View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results


Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.


If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Share: Naked Eyes 7" Edits

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Re: Share: Naked Eyes 7" Edits

Postby maccafan076 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:25 pm

Fred Taghon wrote:
maccafan076 wrote:I always enjoy your edits Fred. Thanks for sharing. Do you know if the Always Something There single version with the drums at the beginning has ever been released on cd?

That version is pretty much the only version I've ever heard on most CD releases here in the USA maccafan076 (assuming we're talking about the same mix?).


I meant to say the intro without the drums :oops:
maccafan076
Personal Jesus
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:55 pm
Location: USA

Re: Share: Naked Eyes 7" Edits

Postby Fred Taghon » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:20 pm

maccafan076 wrote:
Fred Taghon wrote:
maccafan076 wrote:I always enjoy your edits Fred. Thanks for sharing. Do you know if the Always Something There single version with the drums at the beginning has ever been released on cd?

That version is pretty much the only version I've ever heard on most CD releases here in the USA maccafan076 (assuming we're talking about the same mix?).


I meant to say the intro without the drums :oops:

The only CD appearance I can absolutely confirm is the 2012 Cherry Pop re-issue of "Burning Bridges". I honestly had never even heard that version until buying that CD - other than when I saw the video 30+ years ago.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set
 
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:43 am
Location: USA

Re: Share: Naked Eyes 7" Edits

Postby LPCDMP3 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:20 am

Hi Fred, would you please upload the A-side mix from this Canadian 12" please?
Seems this mix is exclusive to the USA and Canada. Much appreciated, thanks!
https://www.discogs.com/Naked-Eyes-Promises-Promises-12-Mix/release/230483
LPCDMP3
Switchin' to Glide
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: Share: Naked Eyes 7" Edits

Postby john2u » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:07 pm

Their self titled album has recently been released on CD (finally) with FIVE bonus tracks. It's odd that they may have used the US 7" version of Promises Promises instead of the album version on this new release.
john2u
Running Up That Hill
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:14 pm

Re: Share: Naked Eyes 7" Edits

Postby Funeral Pyre » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:40 pm

john2u wrote:Their self titled album has recently been released on CD (finally) with FIVE bonus tracks. It's odd that they may have used the US 7" version of Promises Promises instead of the album version on this new release.

Is the new reissue extremely loud and brickwalled like the Burning Bridges reissue?
Funeral Pyre
Running Up That Hill
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:38 am

Re: Share: Naked Eyes 7" Edits

Postby maccafan076 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:31 am

maccafan076 wrote:I always enjoy your edits Fred. Thanks for sharing. Do you know if the Always Single version with the drums at the beginning has ever been released on cd?


The only CD appearance I can absolutely confirm is the 2012 Cherry Pop re-issue of "Burning Bridges". I honestly had never even heard that version until buying that CD - other than when I saw the video 30+ years ago.[/quote]

Cool I'll have to get that one. So how many mixes of Always Something is there? About five?
maccafan076
Personal Jesus
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:55 pm
Location: USA

Re: Share: Naked Eyes 7" Edits

Postby LPCDMP3 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:58 pm

https://www.discogs.com/Naked-Eyes-Naked-Eyes/release/12322365
Three B-sides and two Jellybean mixes. Meh.
LPCDMP3
Switchin' to Glide
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: Share: Naked Eyes 7" Edits

Postby Fred Taghon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:05 am

LPCDMP3 wrote:Hi Fred, would you please upload the A-side mix from this Canadian 12" please?
Seems this mix is exclusive to the USA and Canada. Much appreciated, thanks!
https://www.discogs.com/Naked-Eyes-Promises-Promises-12-Mix/release/230483

I'm sorry I sold that 12" ages ago (after digitizing it). I don't recall the A-side being a different mix though. I could be wrong. I had digitized it as well, but tossed it when the "Everything And More" CD was released, which in my mind tells me it was probably the same mix - otherwise I would have kept it. But again, maybe I just wasn't paying much attention...which isn't like me when it comes to stuff like that lol.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set
 
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:43 am
Location: USA

Re: Share: Naked Eyes 7" Edits

Postby Fred Taghon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:10 am

LPCDMP3 wrote:https://www.discogs.com/Naked-Eyes-Naked-Eyes/release/12322365
Three B-sides and two Jellybean mixes. Meh.

It looks like "The Time Is Now" is the album version. I was kind of hoping it would be the version on the USA 7" single - which has only ever appeared on CD on the "Promises, Promises" Best Of from 1994: https://www.discogs.com/Naked-Eyes-Prom ... ase/441865 I can't say for certain, but it sounds to me that the USA 7" version of that song was likely mixed at a later date than the album version. It seems a little more "finished". It's my favorite version.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set
 
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:43 am
Location: USA

Re: Share: Naked Eyes 7" Edits

Postby LPCDMP3 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:16 am

Fred Taghon wrote:I'm sorry I sold that 12" ages ago (after digitizing it). I don't recall the A-side being a different mix though. I could be wrong. I had digitized it as well, but tossed it when the "Everything And More" CD was released, which in my mind tells me it was probably the same mix - otherwise I would have kept it. But again, maybe I just wasn't paying much attention...which isn't like me when it comes to stuff like that lol.


It seems like a completely different mix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEUkd5_YADY

I never owned a Naked Eyes album, I only bought the singles of "Always", "Promises" and "(What) ITNOL".
If anyone has the 2018 remaster of the American album, would they please confirm it's the same as the original vinyl?
Last edited by LPCDMP3 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LPCDMP3
Switchin' to Glide
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: Share: Naked Eyes 7" Edits

Postby humanracer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:00 am

LPCDMP3 wrote:
Fred Taghon wrote:I'm sorry I sold that 12" ages ago (after digitizing it). I don't recall the A-side being a different mix though. I could be wrong. I had digitized it as well, but tossed it when the "Everything And More" CD was released, which in my mind tells me it was probably the same mix - otherwise I would have kept it. But again, maybe I just wasn't paying much attention...which isn't like me when it comes to stuff like that lol.


Doing a little sleuthing, it's simply an edit of the full Tony Mansfield mix with 40 seconds shortened from the intro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEUkd5_YADY

I never owned a Naked Eyes album, I only bought the singles of "Always", "Promises" and "(What) ITNOL".
If anyone has the 2018 remaster of the American album, would they please confirm it's the same as the original vinyl?


ha, that's tricky because it seems, based on info from the thread in the Reissues forums, that several pressings exist of the American album with different versions of Promises & Always on each. Mine isn't due until next week but I can check it all then.
Thirtysomething New Wave fan. I've got that Golden Feeling.
humanracer
Personal Jesus
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:19 am
Location: Fife, Scotland

Re: Share: Naked Eyes 7" Edits

Postby LPCDMP3 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:22 am

humanracer wrote:ha, that's tricky because it seems, based on info from the thread in the Reissues forums, that several pressings exist of the American album with different versions of Promises & Always on each. Mine isn't due until next week but I can check it all then.


Oh boy. I guess the USA LP originally had the UK mixes of both singles and then were replaced with the USA remixes.
Here's a YouTube video of the cassette version of the USA LP with both UK mixes of the singles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISUy4KuDP1A

I appreciate any info, thanks.

humanracer, you mentioned that tracks on the digital 'Burning Bridges' were not the original LP mixes. Which tracks, please?
Did the 2012 Cherry Pop CD use the correct mixes?
LPCDMP3
Switchin' to Glide
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: Share: Naked Eyes 7" Edits

Postby john2u » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:31 pm

LPCDMP3 wrote:Hi Fred, would you please upload the A-side mix from this Canadian 12" please?
Seems this mix is exclusive to the USA and Canada. Much appreciated, thanks!
https://www.discogs.com/Naked-Eyes-Promises-Promises-12-Mix/release/230483

I think this mix is the same as the UK mix except Madonna is edited out.
john2u
Running Up That Hill
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:14 pm

Re: Share: Naked Eyes 7" Edits

Postby LPCDMP3 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:10 pm

john2u wrote:I think this mix is the same as the UK mix except Madonna is edited out.

She is only on the Jellybean remix.
LPCDMP3
Switchin' to Glide
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: Share: Naked Eyes 7" Edits

Postby maccafan076 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:01 am

So to have all the mixes that appeared on various pressings what releases of this album is needed? How many different mixes of Always Something is there?
maccafan076
Personal Jesus
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:55 pm
Location: USA

PreviousNext

Return to Obscure 80s Central

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests