Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Tom Dickie & The Desires

Inquiries and discussions about new wave artists and what happened to them.

Tom Dickie & The Desires

Postby devildog » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:41 am

They released several albums of great music, and poof, their gone. Anyone know what happened to this band?
devildog
The Jet Set

Postby firefall » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:47 am

I have their ''Eleventh hour'' lp.Don't like it very much,due to its 80s pomp rock production and exaggerating use of synths.Some songs are good but lack in style and feel.For only historic reasons-Tom Dickie is a semi-legendary musician of pre punk Boston scene,having worked as a roadie for the oddballs theatric rockers Orchestra Luna and other bands.This thread can be the start for a discussion about this scene,Rat club,Real Kids,Rings etc.
firefall
Personal Jesus

Postby tileboy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:48 pm

I remember the song "Downtown Talk " getting a good amount of airplay on BCN in Boston in 78 or 79.
For some reason there don't seem to be many Bostonians on this board.I'd love to see a thread about the late 70's/early 80's scene in Boston.If there are any memories about the Rat, the Channel,the Paradise,Storyville etc. I'd love to hear them.
I've only been here since January so maybe it's already been done.
tileboy
Room at the Top

Postby Nuwave » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:07 am

After their second album was released in 1982, Tom Dickie and the Desires ended. After a few years of performing solo in New York City, Tom Dickie moved to California and is not currently active in the music scene. The Desires, however, have gone back to their original 70's name, Fox Pass, and released an excellent CD in 2005! Also, in 1999 Tom reunited with the band to record an album's worth of songs that may someday see the light of day. A lot of history and info can be found at www.jonmacey.com and www.foxpassmusic.com. By the way, Tom Dickie was not only the road manager for Orchestra Luna but a major figure on the 70's Boston rock scene with his band Susan.
Nuwave
Running Up That Hill

Postby georgie rockwood » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:16 am

TOM DICKIE WAS IN A BAND CALLED...... SUSAN, WHO HAD ONE ALBUM ON RCA RECORDS CALLED "FALLING IN LOVE AGAIN" IN 1979. YOU CAN STILL FIND THE ALBUM ON VINYL SITES LIKE GEMM OR MUSICSTACK. I SAW SUSAN IN 1979 IN A SMALL CLUB IN ORLANDO FLORIDA WHILE THEY WERE PROMOTING THEIR ALBUM. GUITARIST, RICKY BYRD WAS ALSO IN THE BAND SUSAN WITH TOM DICKIE AND AFTER SUSAN BROKE UP, RICKY BYRD JOINED, JOAN JETT & THE BLACKHEARTS ON THEIR I LOVE ROCK N ROLL ALBUM.....

percussionlover
georgie rockwood
Personal Jesus

Postby Nuwave » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:56 am

Also after the first Desires album and tour, their drummer Mickey Curry was swiped by Hall and Oates for all of their big 80's hits (and later he was with Brian Adams). Keyboardist Gary Corbett co-wrote the hit "She-Bop" with Cyndi Lauper, too.
Nuwave
Running Up That Hill

Postby Grunch » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:52 am

I consider both of their LP's superb, and they made a nice 2-fer CD
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby Nuwave » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:53 am

You can hear a "New" Tom Dickie & the Desires song "Drove You Away" at www.rocklink.com. It's really good.
Nuwave
Running Up That Hill

Return to Whatever happened to? / Where are they now?