Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Language-Touch The Radio Dance:

Inquiries and discussions about new wave artists and what happened to them.

Language-Touch The Radio Dance:

Postby newwavepopman » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:16 pm

Now here is a band that most probably don't remember much at all.They were basically a band that mostly got some club exposure at New Wave clubs,as they were more of a dance band.I recall some New Wave clubs getting into their 12 inch recordings of "Touch The Radio Dance,and "Goodbye Indian Summer" alot.I don't think they ever did a full album though.I think from what I can recall,it was only an EP.Too bad because they did have potential and I really did enjoy that one EP that they put out.

Does anoyne know anything about the band members and who was in this band? I couldn't tell you myself,as there is no picture of the band on the front or on the back of that EP.I was just curious if it was anyone well known in the music biz that's all,as the lead singer's voice did sound somewhat familiar.
newwavepopman
The Jet Set

Postby MikeP » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:27 pm

Language was essentially a vehicle for musician Steve Hale. I have no idea what became of him after this project. The front of the 5-song [b]Alphabet City[/b] EP shows a picture of him in profile (you get a decent look at him in the "Touch the Radio Dance" video, which I have on tape somewhere), and on the back the band is credited as:

Steve Hale - vocals, percussion [and presumably keyboards as well]
James Lee - guitar
Eddi Reader [of Fairground Attraction fame], Nassim Khalifa, Debbie King - backing vocals

It's a pretty decent slab of synth funk -- reminds me a bit of Heaven 17 or Machinations. It's on one of our ObscureEP's collections (part of the MFV/Obscure80's series) -- unfortunately not listed on my site yet.
MikeP
President Am I

Postby Darkwave » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:53 am

Remember hearing "Goodbye Indian Summer" by Language on CFNY back in the 80's.
Great song.
Darkwave
Personal Jesus

Postby swerve » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:07 am

2 Language tracks can be requested and heard here:

www.flashbackalternatives.com
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby beeg » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:14 am

I took the photograph for the cover. Brian
http://www.briangriffin.co.uk
beeg
Running Up That Hill

Postby yipyipcoyote » Tue May 18, 2004 10:10 am

I have a 12" called 'We're Celebrating' on Stiff. I wonder if it's the same band. It's catchy synth funk similar to 'Goodbye Indian Summer'. Totally under-appreciated and sadly forgotten. Bonk is another one of those one man projects..
yipyipcoyote
The Jet Set

Postby swerve » Sun May 23, 2004 11:00 am

Same band.
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby sirsanrio » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:18 am

anyone ever learn anything more about Language? I was listening to my Touch the Radio Dance 12" today and can't find much of anything online anywhere at all...
sirsanrio
Running Up That Hill

Postby deethelurker » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:19 pm

I know only as much about this band as this thread has taught me, but I *have* managed to transcribe what I believe are the lyrics to <strike>this song</strike> "Goodbye Indian Summer" by this band. It's taken me about an hour of repeated listening to this song to be able to type up what I feel are the appropriate lyrics. I've posted them on an auxiliary LJ of mine for all to see:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/deethe ... 005/04/23/

Hopefully this will be of some use to some of you. I'm sorry if the rest might think it silly; I'm just discovering this band, you see. Anyway, there you go.
deethelurker
Personal Jesus

Postby deethelurker » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:39 pm

Hello, me again.

I'd like to take the time to introduce you to <a href="http://www.myspace.com/80slanguage">a MySpace profile for Language</a>, the same band behind "Goodbye Indian Summer" and "We're Celebrating", amongst (a few) others. It's a sort of addition to this bigger project that I'm still trying to find the time to undertake. I'd really appreciate it if you gave the profile a whirl, and if you liked Language back in the day and you're on MySpace, please add it to your friends list. Thanks.
deethelurker
Personal Jesus

Return to Whatever happened to? / Where are they now?