Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

wildmen of wonga and the flowerpot men

Inquiries and discussions about new wave artists and what happened to them.

wildmen of wonga and the flowerpot men

Postby 1981baby » Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:10 am

i heard the wild men of wonga's song off the weird science soundtrack and was walopped and i can say the same for the flowerpot men's song "wedding of the pharoahs" i got that beat city song today and they may be the same guys but anyway does anyone know if they either ever did albums? the only thing i can find on the wild men of wonga is a single for "why don't (pretty girls look at me) b/ "my mother never screams at me" as far flowerpot men, i just found:

"I have Les Mills to thank for turning me on to the Flowerpot Men. Les was the first Banshees fan. He made it to every gig. To this day I think it was he who sprayed "Sign the Banshees - Do it now!" on all the major record company walls. He became our first roadie then discovered The Pschyedelic Furs and went into management. Then in 1984 he gave me a demo tape of his new band "The Flowerpot men" which impressed me enough to offer them the opening spot on our upcoming tour of the UK. Halfway through that tour (as with the Images) the band - Adam Peters and Ben Watkins - asked me to produce their first EP. "Jo's so mean to Josephine" has become a proto-techno classic, way ahead of its time - all of which means it probably sold 3 copies! The band mutated into "Sunsonic" and were signed then dropped by Polydor. Ben is now a core member of Juno Reactor whilst Adam continues to cavort around NYC with his extraordinary bands Family of God & Neulander. They are both quite mad."
1981baby
Personal Jesus

Postby Jason² » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:58 am

I don't think The Flowerpot Men ever had a proper album, although I know there's been a handful of Radio Sessions releases (Peel Sessions, Radio 1, etc).

"Beat City", you may know, is the "centerpiece" song in the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" (it's the song playing when they're driving around Chicago). Sadly, from what I've been told, it's The Flowerpot Men who stood in the way of there ever being an actual Ferris Bueller's Day Off Soundtrack. Which is sorta funny since they were on a promo 7" single (b-side I forget but it's another unknown band that was featured in the movie) - that was given away at premieres of the movie.

...beat city now now... whooo oooo hooo..
Jason²
The Jet Set

Postby Jason in OR » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:00 am

K heres what I know, hope this helps.

I used to work with the Bass player (Bob Wainwright) and the female vocalist Zoe (karen was her real name) Wainwright. We worked at a place called Videoform in New Southgate, north london, England and the wainrights were heavily into the indie music scene. This was back in 1982-83-84

The other guy that was noticiabe in Wild Men of Wonga was Danny Peacock, from the film Party Party and the Comic Strip Presents (both English shows) he was probably the wildest of the wild men, I cant remember the other guys name other than he was in X Ray Specs at one time.

The band was a bit of a joke in terms of serious long term aspirations but we had some fun times watching them while they lasted. They played the Rock Garden in Covent Garden london a few times and were fun to watch, their signature tune being a natty little number called "Fuck Shit Willy Wank".

Not sure when they broke up, I beleive Zoe and Bob were divorced sometime after 1985 and I didint follow what happened to the band after i left Videoform in late 84. From what i have gathered Bob wainwright is now a record producer, Danny peacock is acting and directing etc. I have no clue about the rest.

I havent heard a wild men song in years, ive tried to find them on p2p but never get a hit, which isnt totally surprising :) and occasionally google the name when Im biored and it comes to mind, hence how I found this board.

Hope this info helps.
Jason in OR
Running Up That Hill

Return to Whatever happened to? / Where are they now?