Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Payola$

Inquiries and discussions about new wave artists and what happened to them.

Payola$

Postby newwavepopman » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:11 am

Any info on whatever happened to these guys? All I know is that after they broke up,they did one great album on the Capitol label,under their last names as "Rock And Hyde" The only other thing I know about the Payola$ was they were from Canada,and had a minor charted hit in "Eyes Of A Stranger" which I remember seeing the video for once on MTV,but that was eons ago.
newwavepopman
The Jet Set

Postby owlcave » Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:17 pm

You can catch "Eyes of a Stranger" on the digital cable channel VH-1 Classic. They show it occasionally.

Apparently, the Payolas were HUGE in Canada. A good source of info on bands is www.allmusic.com. Just do a search for who you are interested
owlcave
Switchin' to Glide

Postby newwavepopman » Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:30 am

Thanks. Now if only my cable company would get VH1 Classics it would make my day.I guess I should bug them until they get it huh?
newwavepopman
The Jet Set

Postby Spaz » Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:23 pm

Bob Rock, guitarist of Payolas, spends his time producing artists like Metallica, Bon Jovi, etc. Was an in-demand producer in the mid to late '90s.

Paul Hyde has released solo albums in Canada, but I'm not sure how recent...
Spaz
The Jet Set

Postby newwavepopman » Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:57 am

it sounds hard to believe that Bob Rock would produce heavy metal acts but I believe what you say.
newwavepopman
The Jet Set

Postby whistledog » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:59 am

The Payola$ had some exposure in America with 'Eyes of A Stranger' thanks to the Valley Girl movie, but their only charting single in America was 'Here's the World For Ya' in 1985. It was released under 'Paul Hyde & The Payola$' and it reached #84 on the
whistledog
Personal Jesus

Postby Surly » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:29 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by whistledog[/i]
<br>The Payola$ had some exposure in America with 'Eyes of A Stranger' thanks to the Valley G
Surly
The Jet Set

Postby whistledog » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:52 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Surly[/i]
<br><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr he
whistledog
Personal Jesus

Postby SomebodySomewhere » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:10 am

The guy who sterilized The Payola$ (er, excuse me, <FONT SIZE="6">[b]PAUL HYDE[/b]</FONT> <FONT SIZE="1">and the Payolas</FONT>) has his "reality" show debuting on FOX this Sunday. I can only hope his two stepbrats give him hell to make up for it!
SomebodySomewhere
Room at the Top

Return to Whatever happened to? / Where are they now?