Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Boys Own

Inquiries and discussions about new wave artists and what happened to them.

Boys Own

Postby The Robman » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:16 am

There was a really great band in the UK in the early 80's called "Boys Own". I first became aware of them when I saw them opening for Yazoo in London. I was at the show with about a dozen other friends from school. A few months later, we noticed that they were playing some small dates around town, so we started to go to many of their shows, so much so that the band started to refer to us as the "Croydon Contingent" (as we came from Croydon).

Both Neil Arthur (from Blancmange) and Alison Moyet (from Yazoo) were friends with the band (as we bumped into both of them at their shows. We also bumped into David Sylvian at one of their shows.

I don't think this band put out any records, though I know they recorded at least one 3-song demo tape (as I used to have a copy), which contained the song "Eyes Of Steel".

The band members were:
Jay "Manjay" Paine - guitar, vocals
Paul Davies - guitar, keyboards
Mark Irving - drums, percussion

I would love to know what the guys are up to now, and if they did any other recording I'd love to get a CD of it. So, does anybody have any info on these guys?
The Robman
Running Up That Hill

Re: Boys Own

Postby df118 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:19 am

Bear with me...

With all the Yazoo box set discussion, I decided to pull out my original Upstairs At Erics vinyl. The inner sleeve happens to be autographed by all of Boys Own from when I saw them support Yazoo in '82. So I searched for them here and happened upon this ancient 'thread'.

I can't find any recorded works (so if you're still here and can share the tape then please do). Paul Davies had been in Naked Lunch I believe (who had a track La Femme on the Some Bizzare album). Jay Paine and Paul Davies then cropped up in Sunkings in 1990. Discogs can give you details.
df118
Take On Me

Return to Whatever happened to? / Where are they now?