Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Top Ten NO HIT Wonders

Discuss your favorite songs, artists or post your top ten lists from the new wave era or related genres.

Top Ten NO HIT Wonders

Postby StormyPetrel » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:42 pm

Plata66's post gave me the inspiration for this question:

New Wave is full of criminally under recognized to unrecognized quality musicians.

Who are your Top Ten?

(I am compiling mine and I'll add them shortly...)

Brad Day
Atlanta, GA

-~Obscene dreams in rusty beds.~-
StormyPetrel
Personal Jesus

Postby StormyPetrel » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:41 pm

Ya know, I just went through my collection and came to the conclusion that few of these guys had hits. It was almost depressing.

And, the ones that did have hits were mostly novelty type songs. I suppose that that is all FM would allow(?) .

Anyhoo, as you were...

B

StormyPetrel
Personal Jesus

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:09 pm

I'm almost hesitant to reply to this admittedly great topic because somebody is likely to rail against some of the picks with a "What?! Are you kidding??? They had so many great songs!!!!" [:D]

But here goes, a surprisingly hard to pick top ten. Huge caveat that these had just about zero radio exposure, at least where I grew up...I think. And big kudos and thanks to the NWO who have introduced to most of these fairly recently:

1. The Durutti Column
2. A Certain Ratio
3. Radio Birdman
4. Notekillers
5. Tuxedomoon
6. The Embarrassment
7. Fra Lippo Lippi
8. The Marbles
9. Modern Eon
10. Red Lorry Yellow Lorry

Honorable mentions:
Fad Gadget
The Jags
Nervous Rex
Silicon Teens
The Sinceros
Throbbing Gristle

I was tempted to add Japan. They really didn't have any hits did they? But then frankly, try as I might, I just can't like ANYTHING they've done. What's wrong with me? (er, in THIS regard that is)
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Ape Module » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:41 pm

I'm with you on Japan. I SHOULD like them on principle. Mick Karn is a brilliant bass player but I can't get around Dave Sylvian's vocals. They are just too smooth for me. Might as well be Barry Manilow. Same with the guy who sings for Dead Can Dance. I like their music and the songs sung by the female vocalist, but the male vox sound cheesy and overwrought to me.
Ape Module
Personal Jesus

Postby fanciz » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:56 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by Blir[/i]
<br>I'm almost hesitant to reply to this admittedly great topic because somebody is likely to rail against some of the picks with a "What?! Are you kidding??? They had so many great songs!!!!" [:D]

But here goes, a surprisingly hard to pick top ten. Huge caveat that these had just about zero radio exposure, at least where I grew up...I think. And big kudos and thanks to the NWO who have introduced to most of these fairly recently:

1. The Durutti Column
2. A Certain Ratio
3. Radio Birdman
4. Notekillers
5. Tuxedomoon
6. The Embarrassment
7. Fra Lippo Lippi
8. The Marbles
9. Modern Eon
10. Red Lorry Yellow Lorry

Honorable mentions:
Fad Gadget
The Jags
Nervous Rex
Silicon Teens
The Sinceros
Throbbing Gristle

I was tempted to add Japan. They really didn't have any hits did they? But then frankly, try as I might, I just can't like ANYTHING they've done. What's wrong with me? (er, in THIS regard that is)
[/quote]

I would agree with your list, except of course for Fra Lippo Lippi who have......................................... so many good songs![:D]
The point is, it's not because a band didn't make it to the US because of lack of support, poor distribution or their.... nationality, that it should be discarded. IMO, we should take a wholistic approach, that is to say, a world-wide view of the band.
Regarding Japan, the song Gentlemen Take Polaroid is probably their closest attempt at scoring a Hit, so I guess they fall in the category.
fanciz
The Jet Set

Postby Coen » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:09 am

The term 'no hit'is difficult, as in my country bands like WIRE didn't have a hit. Not even DEVO... But I'll make just a list anyhow:

1) Heaven 17 (compare it to their 'bros.' Human League)
2) Wire
3 Magazine/Devoto/Luxuria
4) Tones on Tail
5) Tuxedomoon
6) Psychedelic Furs
7) 23 Skidoo (while the Chem. Bros did with their etc)
8) Liquid Liquid (same story for Cavern's 'White Lines'. A song from LL I didnt like very much, btw)
9) Clock DVA
10) The Associates

SO many brilliant bands for who wants to find them. Still lookking myself for some hidden jewels. Need any help I can get.
Coen
Take On Me

Postby Frau_Blucher » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:15 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Coen[/i]
<br>The term 'no hit'is difficult, as in my country bands like WIRE didn't have a hit. Not even DEVO... But I'll make just a list anyhow:

1) Heaven 17 (compare it to their 'bros.' Human League)
[/quote]
Let Me Go was a reasonable hit, at least probably in LA and NYC. Penthouse and Pavement, We Live So Fast, and Fascist Groove Thing got good airply, and even Sunset Now and This is Mine got some airplay.

OMG, and the P-Furs were nauseatingly overplayed.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Coen » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:24 pm

Well, in Australia Heaven 17 had club-hits.
And the PF were played on the radio there and had a tiny hit.

In The Netherlands however, Heaven 17 and PF didn't get (enough) airplay and were no-hit bands. Don't know about the UK, I can look that up in the book Alternative Rock.

But anyhow, these bands didn't get the acknowledgement they could andshould have. Especially when you look to the bands which DID make it in the charts and the radio. Incredible and unbelievable most of the times !
Coen
Take On Me

Postby Frau_Blucher » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:12 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by Coen[/i]
<br>But anyhow, these bands didn't get the acknowledgement they could andshould have. Especially when you look to the bands which DID make it in the charts and the radio. Incredible and unbelievable most of the times !
[/quote]
On that I totally agree. The reasons why I like Heaven 17 have as much to do with the timing as the band itself. They're not among my very very favorites, but for 1981, their sound was incredibly advanced as far as their electronic and clubby nature. Real groundbreakers along with their former colleagues in the Human League.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Mathman » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:01 am

"No Hit" is a problem, based on where you're from. PF had at least lots of exposure with MTV - but did they have hits? These are groups that got some college radio airplay in NE Ohio, but I'm not aware of any hits, at least in the US.

1. Anything with Pete Wylie, especially his Wah! projects
2. Modern Eon
3. Hambi and the Dance
4. Lucy Show
5. Passions
6. The Sound
7. Positive Noise
8. Bette Bright and the Illumination (she did marry Suggs from Madness, though)
9. The Headboys
10. Fallout Club

I would add the Teardrop Explodes for the US, but they were big other places. And, my signature line group, Gang of Four, is certainly well known, but outside of some airplay for "I Love a Man in a Uniform," they are hitless.

To have ambition is my ambition
Mathman
Personal Jesus

Postby Coen » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:19 am

Blir I do agree on that too. I bought a later album, which didn't do it for me. But in 1982-3-4, they were so good to have around in clubs. Happily they were around there. Frigg the charts and the acknowledgements for that matter. Anuhow...bands who despereately were chasing succes in the charts almost all fell hard down the drain in that attempt. That must be the most painful way to implode for a band... Not reaching anything cause it wasn't working either way.
Coen
Take On Me

Postby fanciz » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:07 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by Mathman[/i]
<br>"No Hit" is a problem, based on where you're from. PF had at least lots of exposure with MTV - but did they have hits? These are groups that got some college radio airplay in NE Ohio, but I'm not aware of any hits, at least in the US.

6. The Sound
7. Positive Noise

[/quote]

Did You say The Sound???? Total Recall is a New Wave anthem![;)]

and personally, I consider When Lightning Strikes a Hit!
fanciz
The Jet Set

Postby StormyPetrel » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:03 pm

By "hit" I was referring to a Top 40 chart appearance.

B

StormyPetrel
Personal Jesus

Postby hutter » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:19 pm

I could be wrong, but I don't think The Units had any hits. Shame. "The Right Man" is pretty good.
hutter
Room at the Top

Postby Wavedancer101 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:50 am

The Chameleons
Axodry
Colour Code
Shock Therapy
B-Movie (even the 12" mix of Nowhere Girl never became a hit)
Data
Indochine (only famous in France, but VERY good!)
Moskwa TV
Parade Ground
Rational Youth (maybe famous in Canada/USA for a while, but hard to find in Europe)
Wavedancer101
Take On Me

Next

Return to Top Ten Lists / Best of the Era