Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

2007 SXSW Mar 14-18: Stooges, Buzzcocks, Dolby...

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

2007 SXSW Mar 14-18: Stooges, Buzzcocks, Dolby...

Postby Frau_Blucher » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:59 am

I already got my gears turning to see how I can swing another SXSW visit. Seeing that the reunited Stooges are playing could be additional motivation. No full band list yet. Anyone else thinking about this? I had a pretty epic time last year...

http://nwoutpost.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10053

This year so far...

http://2007.sxsw.com/music/

"As the reunited Stooges prepare to release their first album in 33 years, The Weirdness, Pop will sit down with journalist Jaan Uhelszki to discuss recording and touring with his bandmates. Expect candid and funny recollections from rock's true survivor. The interview will take place Friday March 16 at the Austin Convention Center. The Stooges will perform on Saturday, March 17 as part of the SXSW Music Festival."
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby coop41 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:04 am

I was at the FBR Open yesterday with a client and he was wearing an SXSW shirt and we talked about going this year! He goes every year so if my schedule allows it I'm there!!!
coop41
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:45 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by coop41[/i]
<br>I was at the FBR Open yesterday with a client and he was wearing an SXSW shirt and we talked about going this year! He goes every year so if my schedule allows it I'm there!!!
[/quote]
Dude! We gotta keep in touch about this.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby coop41 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:15 am

yes, we are going to try to work it out here in the next week or so, hopefully it will happen!
coop41
Room at the Top

Postby highway1pch » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:30 am

Is this going to be the only Iggy gig in the US this year?

<a href="http://www.ocnewwave.blogspot.com/"><font color="#ff6600"><font size=+1.5>OC New Wave Blog</font></a>
<font color="#00ff00"><font="westminster">Music videos, Orange County concerts, and more.</font>
highway1pch
Personal Jesus

Postby plagiarism » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:07 am

I didn't see the review of the Stooges concert in the Austin paper, but Iggy responded to it in a letter to the editor:

---
Re: March 19 concert review "Stooges let loose, put raw power on display." This rebuttal of Michael Corcoran's review is by a member of the Stooges:

Mike, dude, I would never, ever, ever play music to a freakin' tape. For real. This just never happened and never will happen.

What you probably heard is Ron Asheton's ability to play that riff picking a mid-range motif while also picking and sliding a bass line. This derives from blues players like Fred McDowell, for example. You definitely won't hear it on a Fall Out Boy record.

Have you ever heard a real guitar player? Playing live? That's how they do. You also heard Steve Mackay on sax backing Ron up. At the moment the bass went out, I, too, was amazed at how good it sounded without him.

I will happily slit my throat if you can find anyone backstage at that gig who saw us (fooling) around with a piece of (freakin') tape. We're the Stooges, and in my world tape is not alright. It's fat, rich and uncool.

Sorry about the guitar levels. This show was a freebie, so we left our sound man at home.

IGGY POP
plagiarism
Room at the Top

Postby plagiarism » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:11 am

Found the original review. Here's the part Iggy was responding to:

A couple of disappointments: 1) it appears that the Stooges play to taped augmentation. This was revealed when the bass line for “Skull Ring” kept pumping while bassist Mike Watt was working amp problems with his sound tech. It’s OK to use the canned help, but never let the audience know. 2) Asheton’s guitar wasn’t as loud as it should’ve been. I saw a better Stooges show in New Orleans about three years ago and the guitar and Iggy’s voice were on equal footing. Saturday night posed Iggy as the focal point, and he is a star, but the ugly beauty of the Stooges was when Iggy flailed in the feedback of chaos coming from stage left.
plagiarism
Room at the Top

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews