Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

ABC - S.O.S.

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

ABC - S.O.S.

Postby zill » Tue May 11, 2010 10:10 am

Back over on the “I Haven't Listened to ...” post, NuWaveRx reminded me that I haven’t listened to ABC’s “Beauty Stab” for quite awhile.

I’m not going to attempt to review the entire album, but rather just one song from the album: “S.O.S.” Why? Well, because on listening to Beauty Stab all these years later, I was struck at how god-awful and out of place it is on the album.

I can’t help but think that a record company executive pressured the band into including a “single” on the record with a sound closer to the “Lexicon of Love” album. But what they ended up with is a classic slice of 80’s cheese that in no way is as good as “Lexicon” and in no way has the sound, power and drive of other “Beauty Stab” tracks. Whereas the lead single “That Was Then But This Is Now” is a powerful and, in my opinion, unusual “hit” of the era, “S.O.S.” is a wimpy, non-ballad, sleeper, which peaked at #39 on the UK charts. “Hey Citizen!” would have been a much better follow-up single.

The song starts off with an “oh, how clever” tapping of the Morse code for S.O.S. I didn’t see that coming. The dated 80’s drum machine starts up followed by typical 1983 gentle synths and a smooth, dreamy Martin Fry vocal “so here we are, drifting on an open sea…” Fry’s vocals are about the only positive thing to note on this track.

The mellowness continues in the first verse, complete with a flute or something piping in before the chorus finally arrives after an excruciating 60 or 70 second lead-in. The chorus features cheesy female backing vocals repeating Fry’s “S.O.S.” Then we’re back to another yawn-filled second verse and the annoying drum machine tapping in the background.

Just when it couldn’t get any worse, the second chorus is followed by a classic early 80’s saxophone solo! And a L-O-N-G one at that. Not the sort of cool instrumentation of the “Lexicon” album, this is fromage-city, seriously dating the song.

And then…WHAT?!? All of a sudden Fry bursts into a total rip off of “Under Pressure”! “Ba, Ba, Ba Da Ba Da” - with an extra “Ba, Ba, Ba, Ba” tacked onto the end to throw us off from detecting the plagiarism. This comes out of nowhere!

Then back to chorus…for about another 45 seconds? Kill me now! When will it end? I can honestly say I hate this song, passionately. Blah.
zill
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Tue May 11, 2010 11:26 am

[quote]Originally posted by zill
[br]Back over on the �I Haven't Listened to ...� post, NuWaveRx reminded me that I haven�t listened to ABC�s �Beauty Stab� for quite awhile.

I�m not going to attempt to review the entire album, but rather just one song from the album: �S.O.S.� Why? Well, because on listening to Beauty Stab all these years later, I was struck at how god-awful and out of place it is on the album.

I can�t help but think that a record company executive pressured the band into including a �single� on the record with a sound closer to the �Lexicon of Love� album. But what they ended up with is a classic slice of 80�s cheese that in no way is as good as �Lexicon� and in no way has the sound, power and drive of other �Beauty Stab� tracks. Whereas the lead single �That Was Then But This Is Now� is a powerful and, in my opinion, unusual �hit� of the era, �S.O.S.� is a wimpy, non-ballad, sleeper, which peaked at #39 on the UK charts. �Hey Citizen!� would have been a much better follow-up single.

The song starts off with an �oh, how clever� tapping of the Morse code for S.O.S. I didn�t see that coming. The dated 80�s drum machine starts up followed by typical 1983 gentle synths and a smooth, dreamy Martin Fry vocal �so here we are, drifting on an open sea�� Fry�s vocals are about the only positive thing to note on this track.

The mellowness continues in the first verse, complete with a flute or something piping in before the chorus finally arrives after an excruciating 60 or 70 second lead-in. The chorus features cheesy female backing vocals repeating Fry�s �S.O.S.� Then we�re back to another yawn-filled second verse and the annoying drum machine tapping in the background.

Just when it couldn�t get any worse, the second chorus is followed by a classic early 80�s saxophone solo! And a L-O-N-G one at that. Not the sort of cool instrumentation of the �Lexicon� album, this is fromage-city, seriously dating the song.

And then�WHAT?!? All of a sudden Fry bursts into a total rip off of �Under Pressure�! �Ba, Ba, Ba Da Ba Da� - with an extra �Ba, Ba, Ba, Ba� tacked onto the end to throw us off from detecting the plagiarism. This comes out of nowhere!

Then back to chorus�for about another 45 seconds? Kill me now! When will it end? I can honestly say I hate this song, passionately. Blah.

[/quote]

while you are listening to it do you want to kick Martin Fry in the face[?]
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby zill » Tue May 11, 2010 1:04 pm

Well, he deserves a boot to the head for this piece of shit!
zill
Room at the Top

Postby SallyLightfoot » Sun May 16, 2010 12:52 pm

Whine as you mihgt for "S.O.S", I still think that Beauty Stab is under appreciated. Legend has it that Eurythmics used to crank the album before its live shows to test the sound-system.
SallyLightfoot
Room at the Top

Postby zill » Mon May 17, 2010 3:43 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by SallyLightfoot[/i]
<br>Whine as you mihgt for "S.O.S", I still think that Beauty Stab is under appreciated. Legend has it that Eurythmics used to crank the album before its live shows to test the sound-system.
[/quote]

That's sort of my point. There are some great moments on "Beauty Stab"...but this isn't one of them. To me it sounds out of place and ruins the flow of the album.
zill
Room at the Top

Postby humanracer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:31 am

Been listening to SOS a lot actually. Sounds like a late Roxy Music track. Probably my favorite from BS but then I like that smooth sound and my favourite ABC album is Alphabet City!
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby gnj1958 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:07 am

LOL SOS is the only track from that album I liked. Just goes to show huh.
gnj1958
Take On Me

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews