Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

OMD in NYC

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

Postby wherewereuin82 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:33 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by thegoldenyear[/i]
<br>Where were you, schwenko? I was about eight rows back, opposite Andy. (And wasn't that freak snow shower something?)

[/quote]

We were on the opposite side to you then. Probably back around the same distance,off to the side. If you'd have looked for the tallest guy there, I'd have been right behind him since that's my luck at concerts.[:D]

Snow shower? Hell, it was a full on storm driving back to Niagara.
wherewereuin82
Room at the Top

Postby thegoldenyear » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:47 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by wherewereuin82[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by thegoldenyear[/i]
<br>Where were you, schwenko? I was about eight rows back, opposite Andy. (And wasn't that freak snow shower something?)
[/quote]
We were on the opposite side to you then. Probably back around the same distance,off to the side. If you'd have looked for the tallest guy there, I'd have been right behind him since that's my luck at concerts.[:D]
[/quote]

My luck too. Eff those tall guys.

------------------------------------

http://thegoldenyear.wordpress.com/
thegoldenyear
Take On Me

Postby schwenko » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:12 am

Any reports on Boston?

who is going tonight (NYC)?
moi[:)]
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby tileboy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:05 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by schwenko[/i]
<br>Any reports on Boston?

[/quote]

Excellent show last night! I have to agree with TGY it certainly was uplifting. I generally favor their material from Architecture and Morality( Joan of Arc was the highlight of the night), but I have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed all the pop hits as well,especially the trifecta of History of Modern,(Forever) Live and Die and If You Leave. I guess they could axe Dreaming ( maybe something from Dazzle Ships) the only snoozer of the night.

No problems with the drum mix last night and they played Talking Loud and Clear, which I didn't see on the Toronto setlist.

Oh Land is a hottie with magic balloons.
tileboy
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:16 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by tileboy[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by schwenko[/i]
<br>Any reports on Boston?

[/quote]

Excellent show last night! I have to agree with TGY it certainly was uplifting. I generally favor their material from Architecture and Morality( Joan of Arc was the highlight of the night), but I have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed all the pop hits as well,especially the trifecta of History of Modern,(Forever) Live and Die and If You Leave. I guess they could axe Dreaming ( maybe something from Dazzle Ships) the only snoozer of the night.

No problems with the drum mix last night and they played Talking Loud and Clear, which I didn't see on the Toronto setlist.
[/quote]

they didn't play it in Toronto
interestingly enough wherewereuin82 actually announced it, but they played something else
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:39 am

Last night OMD put on another high-energy show at Terminal 5 in NYC
BigBri and I were treated to the same set as in Toronto, except Talking Loud and Clear WAS included, at the expense of one of the encore songs- big improvement[8D]. However, still no Goddess of Love[;)]

The drums seemed to be toned down thankfully, but the sound was spot on.

I'm hearing that there will be only one "real" performance at SXSW, so plan accordingly.
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:44 am

a review of the NYC show:

http://networkedblogs.com/fcRS5
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:42 am

So who's the better dancer, McCluskey or Barney?
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby BigBri » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:09 am

NYC show was excellent. They sounded great.

Andy McCluskey was rather frenetic.

I noticed that "Dreaming" was played as part of Toronto's encore. We got it as part of the regular set. Personally, I could take it or leave it.

They did perform three of my favorites, though: Souvenir, Joan of Arc, and Talking Loud and Clear.

And it was truly a pleasure to meet up with schwenko once again.
BigBri
The Jet Set

Postby schwenko » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:23 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Frau_Blucher[/i]
<br>So who's the better dancer, McCluskey or Barney?
[/quote]

Andy M.
No doubts abouts it[^]
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby romanticide » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:38 pm

Saw Oh Land and OMD at the 9:30 Club in DC on Thursday Night (3/11). The Oh Land set list was taken entirely from her new album:

1. Wolf & I
2. Voodoo
3. White Nights
4. Rainbow
5. Perfection
6. Son of a Gun
7. We Turn It Up

I hadn't seen OMD since '86. I previously saw them headline (with Love Tractor opening) on the Crush tour (in Atlanta at Center Stage Theater) and open for New Order on the Pacific Age tour (in Atlanta at the Fox). My wife also saw them on the Sugar Tax tour (in DC at the old 9:30 Club on F Street). McCluskey kept saying that they hadn't been to DC in 23 years, but obviously, he should have been saying 20 years. Still, a long wait for the faithful.

And we almost missed it! My wife happened to see an advertisement in the paper the afternoon of the show. Given that it is her all time favorite band, we bought tickets, scrambled to get child care, and made it to the show on time.

I was amazed at how tight their sound was and how much energy Andy McCluskey had. I'm only a few years younger, and I don't think I could have bounced around that stage for the better part of two hours the way he did. The set list was the same as the one we saw listed for the New York show (stop reading now if you don't want a spoiler):

New Babies: New Toys
Radio Waves
History of Modern (Part 1)
(Forever) Live and Die
If You Leave
Souvenir
Joan of Arc
Joan of Arc (Maid of Orleans)
New Holy Ground
Green
Talking Loud and Clear
So in Love
Sister Marie Says
Locomotion
Dreaming
Sailing on the Seven Seas
Enola Gay

Walking on the Milky Way
Electricity

Some of the new material is just spectacular, particularly "New Babies: New Toys", "History of Modern (Part 1)", and "Sister Marie Says". Interesting that they didn't play "If You Want It", the first single from the new album. Personally, I preferred the songs they chose to play.

The crowd was a good mix of young and older. I was actually surprised at the number of twenty and thirty somethings in attendance. The crowd was initially somewhat reserved, but by "Tesla Girls", the place was bouncing pretty well. "(Forever) Live and Die" received a pretty strong response, somewhat surprising to me, given that I didn't think it was one of their more famous tracks. After a somewhat tepid reading of "If You Leave" (not the strongest track for a concert environment), the crowd really took off with spectacular performances of "Joan of Arc" and "Joan of Arc (Maid of Orleans)". After the latter, the crowd was apoplectic for more than a full minute, (the kind of full-on craziness usually reserved for calling a band back for a final encore), leaving the band and an exhausted Andy McCluskey seemingly somewhat stunned. Given that my wife and I had our first dance at our wedding reception to Joan of Arc (Maid of Orleans)" (it is a waltz, after all), we were really glad to see such a strong performance and positive response. The crowd was hooked by that point. McCluskey caught his breath during the following quieter numbers and actually sang the first half of "Talking Loud and Clear" sitting on his amp (which didn't detract a bit from the song). He still has a great voice, and really hit the high notes on "So in Love". The performance accelerated from that point through the finish. "Walking on the Milky Way" was an unexpected treat. My wife woke up singing it the next morning.

Bands are never as good when they come back from a long recess, except when they are. This was one of those rare exceptions. What a pleasant surprise! If you have the opportunity, go see them. You won't be disappointed.
romanticide
Take On Me

Postby Frau_Blucher » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:23 pm

Thanks for the great review and the personal reactions. Awesome stuff!
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby tileboy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:34 am

tileboy
Room at the Top

Postby plagiarism » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:27 am

I geeked out and bought the VIP package for the Houston show. That got me into the sound check, autographs and a photo with the band, as well as some merch. I was lucky because I've heard some venues didn't get the meet and greet. We were also let into the venue first, so I got to stand right in front of the stage.

I asked the band what they were planning to do at SXSW while they weren't performing. They said they'd get some extra sleep. If they really did that, then they missed out on a great time at SXSW. Unfortunately, that was all the time I got with then.

The opening band was Scars on 45, a straightforward pop rock band from England. I've never heard of them. After one of the songs, someone near me said the song sounded a bit like Dire Straits. I said I heard Fleetwood Mac. Their last song was Mac's "Dreams", and I got a lot of "you da man" comments afterward.

The set list was probably exactly the same as the one for DC. As others have noted, Andy is hyper-kinetic out there dancing. Wow. I'm not sure if I had that much energy when I was in my 20s.

OMD must have been huge in the Filipinos. I was practically surrounded by them. Except for a woman who pushed her tits out at me and said my VIP sticker would look great there, LOL. No, she didn't get it.
plagiarism
Room at the Top

Postby bigwavedave » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:52 am

For those of you fortunate enough to see this tour, is the live version of "Messages" still knockout? That song particularly stood out on the 1982 tour; the awesome synth line combined with the low-end bass had the entire theater shaking...it was loud and it was perfect!
bigwavedave
The Jet Set

PreviousNext

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews