Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Logic System in Tokyo- June 24, 2011

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

Logic System in Tokyo- June 24, 2011

Postby schwenko » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:03 am

I've been meaning to post a short report on this concert but have hesitated due to a lack of a setlist (still not obtained[:(!])

+++UPDATE

I finally received the set list-

1)Turning Point
2)Clash
3)Automatic Collect, Automatic Correct
4)Intro
5)UNIT
6)Domino Dance

tracks 2,4,5,6 are from the album "Logic" ++++

I happened to be in Tokyo in late June, which is basically when it is like a sauna, kind of like the weather in NYC the last few days!
I made it to the club known as Unit in the Daikanyama section (every storefront seemed to be a fancy Italian shoe store or French restaurant) of Shibuya, Tokyo.

I asked at the door when Logic System would come on, and was told that it would be another 2 hours, so that freed me up to hit Pizzakaya (the only edible pizza in Japan that I have found; the owner is a Californian ex-pat) in Roppongi for dinner.

When I got back to the club and went inside things did not look good. Everybody (except me) was smoking and there was no air conditioning. I almost walked out!

Thankfully the performance space was 2 levels down; it had pretty decent airconditioning, and was non-smoking[:)] I'd say that it was the size of Maxwell's. I was certainly the oldest person in attendance by far; pretty good crowd of polite, young nihonjin.

I waited about 10 minutes; a middle-aged man walked on stage- he was stocky, had salt and pepper hair and wore horn rimmed glasses. I assumed he was a roadie or stagehand.

Without saying a word he starts playing one of the synths set up on stage. It was Mr Logic System (Hideki Matsutake)himself!

The sounds he created were an incredible roar; then he turned around and started twiddling the knobs on the huge, ancient Moog at the back of the stage. This produced shrieking, squealing sounds; Godzilla in his death throes!

After a few minutes of that the music changed to a much more melodic and rhythmic style, with multiple songs following in a continuous mix- lots of blips and bleeps as well. I couldn't identify them, and the few vocals there were were distorted vocoder sounds. After about a half hour it was over. He may have waved and said goodbye, but that was it. It was fantastic.

I emailed him to inquire about a set list, and he replied with an equipment list- lost in translation I guess.

Definitely check out the album "Logic"; very YMOish.

He's playing again in the same part of Tokyo in September- who knows, maybe I'll go again; stranger things have happened.

http://www.technodisco.net/img/artists/ ... system.jpg

Sugoi !!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:51 am

Great stuff Schwenko. Congrats on being able to catch them there.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews