Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Gang of Four-Manchester UK Concert Review

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

Gang of Four-Manchester UK Concert Review

Postby schwenko » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:55 pm

from the Idealcopy (Wire) mailing list:

Gang of 4 at Manchester

After all these years, the Gang of 4 are back! And from the moment they opened with a tribal beat c/o Hugo Burnham, before Gill, standing centre stage, added his trademark slashing guitar, you knew you were in for a treat. King, stage left, then joined in with a spot of maracas before Allen added the final ingredient - a heavy throbbing bass that I could feel deep in my chest. It was a classy entrance, and a classy number. And that was just the start, because the GO4 maintained momentum throughout, putting on a real visual treat with
Gill strutting around like Chuck Berry receiving electric shock treatment, Allen adopting rock postures, whilst King danced around stage like some demented soul. King is an energetic front man for sure - my favourite move of his was when he suddenly dropped to the floor and within the blink of the eye was then singing at the mic at the side of the stage! As for Burnham, well he played in darkness at the back all night so we saw very little of him, but in many ways he was the star of the show for me - at times keeping a metronomic beat going in much the same way as Robert Gotobed. I'm not a GO4 completist by
any means, but there were lots of oldies with the highlights being King
banging that piece of metal to He'd Send In The Army (whereupon some 'wit' in the crowd shouted "You noisy f***er!"), a rousing At Home He's A Tourist (there was a lovely moment at the beginning when Allen briefly lost his studied cool and smiled as he watched the audience going crazy to that riff), and an almost wild Natural's Not In It. We got two encores - the first ending with Damaged Goods, which had a false intro due to Allen fluffing it -
whereupon he and Gill got all matey with audience as they informed us how many mistakes the others had made - this cheeriness was certainly at odds with the rest of the set. They could quite happily have ended it there for me - the "Goodbye, goodbye" refrain certainly seemed appropriate - but on they came again for I Love A Man In Uniform before Burnham wandered to the front and joined the rest of the band in lapping up the audience devotion. There's further gigs at Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham and London yet. Don't miss them.
You're in for a treat.
schwenko
Room at the Top

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews