Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Why New Order ROCK

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

Postby rotator » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:37 am

In general I agree with OBS....I would be less than forthcoming if I said that I 've enjoyed New Orders or Depeche Modes output in the last (gasp) 16 years. INXS seems to be finding new fans, however, as many of you know, the new INXS is abyssmal...just fucking god-awful...The Human League tour that came through San Diego came nowhere near selling out.....BOW WOW WOW was a bomb of a show....part of the problem for these bands is that their spawn, the Franz Ferdinands, the Interpols, etc. etc. are doing (read: copying) great era New Order / Mode/ Gang of Four, whereas these inovators seem stuck in mediocrity. The fact of the matter, and a sad and obvious truth to have to face (even for myself at 37), is that 94% of the bands that you love released their best material in there early 20's. But that's not what this thread is about. History will show that New Order did indeed 'Rock' in concert.

"Donk!"
rotator
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:55 am

Obs, at the NO and GoF concerts this year, I was surprised at the wide range of ages at the show. I think NO, DMode, and Echo have all put out good album material recently. Have you listened to them, or have you been like me with U2...dissed it out of being sick of seeing their faces without really having listened to their entire recent catalog? I think there's an element of bah-humbugishness that happens with age. If you get over it and judge this stuff on its own merits, I think you'll find some really good material there...as good as my more modern favs that compliment the old stuff.

I think we also see the past through rose colored glasses...there were PLENTY of albums back then with very few good cuts, even from favored bands. There were cover to cover greats too, don't get me wrong. But NO's catalog for example always had filler IMHO. I probably love more select tracks off their last two albums than their first two. Say "pack it up" if you've really listend to the new stuff rather than on gut feel or general disdain.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby SwampThing » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:14 am

Good points all around, it took my awhile to warm up to Waiting For the Siren Call, but have you listened to 'Working Overtime', WTF? I know I'm nitpicking, but what were they thinking? How about just realeasing 10 tracks instead of 11 [:p]
SwampThing
Room at the Top

Postby rotator » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:58 am

Does Peter Hook still bring out the 'Syn-Drums' for 'Perfect Kiss'?

"Donk!"
rotator
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:09 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by rotator[/i]
<br>Does Peter Hook still bring out the 'Syn-Drums' for 'Perfect Kiss'?
[/quote]
They didn't play Perfect Kiss but they did bring it out for the Blue Monday finale. Hammerstein set list was as follows:

Love Vigilantes / Crystal / Regret / Hey Now What You Doing / Krafty / Transmission / True Faith / Run Wild / Jetstream (With Ana Matronic) / Waiting For The Sirens Call / BLT / LWTUA / Temptation / She's Lost Control (Encore)/ Atmosphere (Encore) / Blue Monday (Encore)
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby rotator » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:30 am

sounds like a great set....more Joy Division stuff than I thought.....just a little fantasy thought...how outrageous/absurd/head scratching would it be if there was a 'Rock-Star-Joy Division' can you imagine? some 20 year old hot little host with a belly shirt yelling "And that was Joe Blow singing 'New Dawn Fades'!! whooo!! lets here it for him---!!! Next up Jane Doe does her blues take of 'Candidate'!!" whoooo --- lets hear it for her!"

"Donk!"
rotator
Room at the Top

Postby obs » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:31 am

[i]History will show that New Order did indeed 'Rock' in concert.[/i]

Unfortunately, not at the show I saw. It was a couple of years ago as part of Moby's Area One. They seemed to have just gone through the motions for that one. If they came here again, I would go see them though (unless they charge something crazy like $100CAD for floor tickets like Mode ... ending up seeing Adult instead for <$20 and it was a great show).

[i]I think NO, DMode, and Echo have all put out good album material recently. Have you listened to them, or have you been like me with U2[/i]

I picked up the latest Mode and didn't care for it. I really like a couple of the remixes of Precious though (the ones done by Spooky). Didn't bother with New Order since I didn't care for the previous albums, although I liked the singles. I think Here to Stay is the best thing they've done since the Technique era. Not much of a fan of the Bunnymen (although I did buy all the remasters [:)]) so I haven't checked out any of their stuff past the 80s.

BTW, in regards to the Bunnymen, did anyone else get a dud pressing of the self-titled remaster which has a gap in the 12" version of "Bring on the Dancing Horses"? I have the EU pressing, which is what is being distributed in Canada. Two copies and same result.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby obs » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:35 am

Missed this old post ...

[i]How many of you all continued to buy new releases into the 1990s and devour them like you did in the 80s? Did you continue to buy and love post-80s albums from Morrissey, Depeche Mode, U2 (or insert name here)? How much do you think it might have been the sociological tendency of people to think that the best music ever released was from their own ages 15-22?[/i]

I was heavily into techno in the early 90s and that is what I spent most of my record money on. It was the new sound and that's what I wanted to hear. Artists change their sound and a lot of time, I don't like what they change into. It's like Saturday Night Live. You always think the shows when you first start getting into it are the best but when they get new comedians in there and new skits, you tune out. It means you're not a mindless fan.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:21 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by obs[/i]
<br> It means you're not a mindless fan.
[/quote]
We're not supposed to take offense from your comment if we actually happen to like our favorite bands throughout the years? Don't be a dimwit Obs. More importantly, you're shutting yourself off from a lot of good music and everything else by looking at this so didactically - why [i]this[/i] OR [i]that[/i] versus AND? I think there's a lot of us who went the techno/electro route in the 90s. Alt rock too. But that doesn't mean you gotta exclude the other stuff. Take your SNL example. It's tempting to say what you just did, but how about all those great cast members since like Mike Myers, Jimmy Fallon, Will Ferrel, Adam Sandler, Dennis Miller and Eddie Murphy?!!!
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby obs » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:06 am

When did I say I excluded myself from other music in the 90s? I just didn't enjoy it as much when their sound was something new. I bought Regret when it first came out.

Anyways, I guess New Order rocks so much that they've got to keep releasing at least one compilation for every studio album in order to keep the money coming in. Good thing I'm not a true fan so I can save money by not having to buy recycled releases and spend it on something different :).

Take offence if you want. You're a true fan and according to true fans, I'm not so who cares what I have to say.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:17 am

I think you're confusing me for ever having used the term "true fan". And your dead on about these insidious compilations...fukinell! But you did seem to toss the "mindless fan" blanket on anyone who happens to have kept the enthusiasm for their favorites? Pretty twatish.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby obs » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:52 am

Well, when people start using "dimwit" and "twatish", I think it's time to let this thread go ...
obs
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:50 am

Don't know how I missed out on all the drama in this thread but if I can just weigh in here since I was the one who used the term "true fan". First of all, I never meant to be exclusionary or to alienate anyone. I suppose a more accurate term would have been "loyal fan" or "devout fan". I don't know and I don't care to argue semantics. Surely we all understand that there is a distinction between a fan who seeks to understand and accept an artist's necessary personal and commercial growth and a fan who seeks nothing more than the same. Maybe obs can tell us what he'd like to be called.

<a href="http://www.worldwildlife.org/cetaceans/index.cfm">I dig whales.</a>
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby Mechi » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:48 am

You lucky ones who have the opportunity to see No live... I'm getting tired of listening to rumours that No. comes to argentina and after all that talk they don't.
Hope they come this year.. well at least U2 comes anyway.

Mercedes
Mechi
Room at the Top

Postby Berserker » Tue May 23, 2006 12:35 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by marvymarv[/i]
<br>I suppose a more accurate term would have been "loyal fan" or "devout fan". </a>[/quote]I think the term is "fanboy".
Berserker
The Jet Set

PreviousNext

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews