Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Why New Order ROCK

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

Postby Berserker » Sat May 14, 2005 3:52 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by marvymarv[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by Berserker[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by marvymarv[/i]
<br>Because when they perform their art live, Hooky's bass goes through you in exaltation. Stephen's drums announce every song with such an authoritative furor that it evokes an emotional response tantamount to epiphany. The keyboards escalate in ethereal perfection. But above all, Barney's poetic, lyrical, sometimes simplistic-sometimes deep-always make you think words paint pictures in your mind of symphonic perfection. The layered and harmonious melodies stir your soul and you realize yeah, this is what it's about.
[/quote]Interesting. I'm glad you like them so passionately, but in the 20+ years I've been going to gigs, New Order tops the list as the worst live act I've ever seen.
[/quote]

Well that's unfortunate Berserker. And while the technical prowess - and the importance thereof - of a musician in a live situation can be endlessly debated, there is the entirely 'get it' factor which apparently is out of your grasp. It's hard to argue why a style of music has appeal just as it's hard to argue why a fashion choice has appeal. But when one 'gets' why New Order style of music is so infectious, then one can easily overlook the minor flaws that they, as any other artist performing live, may have.

But I wonder why you feel their live acts are so poor. To what standard do you measure New Order?
[/quote]Ah yes, the predictably pompous "if you don't like it, then you just don't get it" response. lol

Now, bear in mind that I've only seen them once, and this was 1987 or so, but they had absolutely ZERO stage presence. They came on, performed their set in a completely mechanical style, had NO audience interaction whatsoever, and then simply, and literally, dropped their instruments and walked off stage. I'd have chalked it up to a bad night if I hadn't heard beforehand from a friend who had seen an earlier show on the tour that this was exactly the way they performed. Bottom line was that it appeared that they were there to collect a paycheck and put in the absolute minimum required to qualify as a live performance. Hopefully, they've changed since then.
Berserker
The Jet Set

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sat May 14, 2005 9:36 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by Berserker[/i]
<br>Ah yes, the predictably pompous "if you don't like it, then you just don't get it" response. lol

Now, bear in mind that I've only seen them once, and this was 1987 or so, but they had absolutely ZERO stage presence. They came on, performed their set in a completely mechanical style, had NO audience interaction whatsoever, and then simply, and literally, dropped their instruments and walked off stage. I'd have chalked it up to a bad night if I hadn't heard beforehand from a friend who had seen an earlier show on the tour that this was exactly the way they performed. Bottom line was that it appeared that they were there to collect a paycheck and put in the absolute minimum required to qualify as a live performance. Hopefully, they've changed since then.
[/quote]
I guess I didn't read "pompous" into the original post. It seemed pretty level-headed to say "It's hard to argue why a style of music has appeal" and pretty prima facia to say something like "if you don't like it, you don't get it"...well duh. Reading too much into flat text messages is hard. In any case, bummer about your concert experience because this one ROCKED HAAAAAAARD!
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Sun May 15, 2005 12:49 am

[quote]Hopefully, they've changed since then.[/quote]

Hopefully you'll get more evidence to base an opinion on than an 18 year old once in a lifetime experience [xx(]
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Tue May 31, 2005 3:33 pm

A very well put review of New Order's latest studio release at the 'And We Danced' website:

http://www.andwedanced.com/reviews/sirens.htm

And We Danced is one of the best music sites I've ever seen. Enjoy and take a look around. It's SO in depth with nice treasure of New Wave related entries[:)]
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Tue May 31, 2005 5:00 pm

What a KILLER site! Thanks Marv. This is so right on:

"It is music slow to sink in and possibly will even seem ephemeral at first listen, but when heard multiple times it is an album you will want to hear again and again."

Remember when I didn't like Krafty all that much?...what a silly ninny I was. [:o] And "Turn" just got ingrained in my head. What a great song that just went right over my head the first listen. It's got a real Punkins "1979" feel to it.

One complaint...how does a site called "And We Danced" (the classic Transmission lyric) NOT have any Joy Division on it?!

[quote][i]Originally posted by marvymarv[/i]
<br>A very well put review of New Order's latest studio release at the 'And We Danced' website:

http://www.andwedanced.com/reviews/sirens.htm

And We Danced is one of the best music sites I've ever seen. Enjoy and take a look around. It's SO in depth with nice treasure of New Wave related entries[:)]
[/quote]
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Tue May 31, 2005 11:44 pm

Hm, sounds like an e-mail to 'And We Danced' is in order. But yeah, I thought of you when I read that review, how it takes repeated listening to fully appreciate the depth and color of WFTSC. How about Krafty? That track was on repeat mode yesterday.
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:58 am

A little birdy told me that Wayne was missing this thread...so TADA!!!

And in retrospect, MAN Ebbhead's response was dead on!
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby rotator » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:11 am

Marvy Marv is right on. I have seen New Order twice - Brotherhood era and Technique era. Some of the best 'rock' shows I have seen. I am also very proud to say that I went to The Hacienda in Manchester before it was dismantled. Lastly I am also happy to have just completed a rock poster for Peter Hooks U.S. DJ Tour, I did it in the style of Peter Savilles work with Ultravox (Rage In Eden/Quartet era) you can see it here:

http://www.gigposters.com/designers.php?designer=47494

If you want one I have them for pretty low$

Goodonya MarvyMarv..

"Donk!"
rotator
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:14 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by rotator[/i]
<br>Marvy Marv is right on. I have seen New Order twice - Brotherhood era and Technique era. Some of the best 'rock' shows I have seen. I am also very proud to say that I went to The Hacienda in Manchester before it was dismantled. Lastly I am also happy to have just completed a rock poster for Peter Hooks U.S. DJ Tour, I did it in the style of Peter Savilles work with Ultravox (Rage In Eden/Quartet era) you can see it here:

[/quote]
Oh jeez, Marvy just soiled himself. [:D]

But I want! I'll email ya.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:56 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by rotator[/i]
<br>Marvy Marv is right on. I have seen New Order twice - Brotherhood era and Technique era. Some of the best 'rock' shows I have seen. I am also very proud to say that I went to The Hacienda in Manchester before it was dismantled. Lastly I am also happy to have just completed a rock poster for Peter Hooks U.S. DJ Tour, I did it in the style of Peter Savilles work with Ultravox (Rage In Eden/Quartet era) you can see it here:

Goodonya MarvyMarv..

"Donk!"
[/quote]

Cheers, mate. Lovely poster. What are the dimensions and cost? Go to my profile shoot me an e-mail. Very interested.

<a href="http://www.worldwildlife.org/cetaceans/index.cfm">I dig whales.</a>
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby waukena » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:09 am

wow, cool, who knew all of this...I only have one question...Marv...Blir...at the end of the show did you throw your panties on stage?
waukena
Room at the Top

Postby obs » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:38 am

What's with people always using the phrase "true fan"? So I'm a "fake fan" if I don't pledge allegiance to a band?
obs
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:18 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by obs[/i]
<br>What's with people always using the phrase "true fan"? So I'm a "fake fan" if I don't pledge allegiance to a band?
[/quote]
Don't read too much into it Obs. It's just verbiage. We're just spewing our diarrhea all over the place about a band we like. It's what fans, "fanatics", do. I think most people are aware how geeked out they're being and are just saying "fuck it, we ARE throwing our proverbial panties on the stage! Yeee-haw!!!"
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby waukena » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:37 am

oh great, a logical answer I can't even make fun of...thanks very much...
waukena
Room at the Top

Postby obs » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:34 pm

Some bands should just pack it up and call it a day or just release quality singles instead of an album full of filler. Depeche Mode is another of them.

I wonder how many of these old 80s bands gain new fans from their new music (and not because someone's mommy hooked them into it)? I think it's a good gauge to ask yourself if you would be a New Order (or whatever band) fan if they didn't exist before their previous two or so albums.
obs
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews