Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Devo!

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

Devo!

Postby MikeP » Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:41 am

Well, Devo refused to give the past a slip! Saw Devo with Cake this past week and I must say that Devo put on a great show. Cake was fun (I've liked their quirky style for a while now). But Devo ... I really didn't expect to be as impressed as I was. Sure, Mark Mothersbaugh and Gerry (I think it was?) had packed on some pounds, but they still had a lot of youthful energy. It looked to be the same lineup from the late 80's with David Kendrick on drums. They opened with a brilliant, hilarious video montage introduced by General Boy (Mothersbaugh Sr.) which segued into "That's Good". They did a few synthy tunes, before strapping on their guitars and doing a huge set of their earlier, edgier guitar-dominant songs ("Uncontrollable Urge", "Mongoloid", "Jocko Homo", "Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA", "Gut Feeling/Slap Your Mammy", "Blockhead", "Come Back Jonee"). The emphasis on their earlier material was a pleasant surprise and a real crowd-pleaser ... something that even the younger generations could appreciate.

Oh yeah, they wore their energy domes (flower pots) along with yellow industrial outfits both of which they proceeded to rip off and discard revealing their black, rugby-like uniforms underneath ... an actual on-stage costume change!

Don't miss them live if you get a chance.
MikeP
President Am I

Postby POLISHBEER » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:46 am

I WENT LAST NIGHT. IT WAS PHENOMENAL. THE BAND LOOKS ALMOST THE SAME AS THE 70S 80S HEYDAY BUT ALAS A LITTLE OLDER AND A FEW POUNDS MORE BUT STILL JERKING BACK AND FORTH AS WELL AS THEY USED TO. IT WAS MY RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE FOR THE DECADE. I'VE WAITE
POLISHBEER
Running Up That Hill

Postby Sean » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:52 am

Oh my gosh, they did "Come Back Jonee"? That's awesome.

One song though that I know they would never do that I totally love is "Mr. B's Ballroom".
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby wallofboingo » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:25 am

I don't think that they played Come Back Jonee in Chicago or even in New York at Central Park. I have the Disclive CD of the New York show and that is not on it. They DID play Come Back Jonee as the encore at the Portland Nike sponsored show that I saw on
wallofboingo
Take On Me

Postby red x red » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:28 am

I hope they come out west soon. I suppose I could do an internet search for their upcoming shows. One of my favorite concerts was Devo at the Union Building at the U of U campus! It absolutely rocked! I still have my ticket stubs.
red x red
The Jet Set

Postby Ollie Stench » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:48 am

I just got a copy of the Central Park show. They sound really good on that, makes me wish I had attended.
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby Chance1234 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:11 am

Saw Devo In "3-D" on a big projection screen with Wall of Voodoo opening up for them Oct of '82 and live in New Orleans a month later.....The "Oh No" Tour was awesome! I hear there working on a new cd after all this time but I hope its better than the Sm
Chance1234
Switchin' to Glide

Postby jc4dshore » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:27 am

Ok,

I think I have one of the best venues to have seen DEVO live.

How about 1983, San Francisco, New Years Eve!!!

I was a small theater in downtown, a little larger then a movie theater.

I'm NOT through bein' cool!!!!

I really dig the surf
jc4dshore
Switchin' to Glide

Postby elektrikblu » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:48 am

Saw Devo in New Haven CT 1980
Great show! Boogie boy and Mr. General opened and closed the show.
Red energy domes and yellow jumpsuits were the M.O.
Very long, sweaty show. Excellent.
Danced for days.

"Freedom from choice, is what you want!"
elektrikblu
Personal Jesus

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews