Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Gang of 4 Northampton, MA 9/30--Going?

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

Gang of 4 Northampton, MA 9/30--Going?

Postby manekineko » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:53 pm

I am planning to go to see Gang of Four in Northampton, MA, on 9/30. Should be sweet! They'll be at the Pearl Street Ball Room and tix are $25, general admission. Showtime is 8:30. Anybody in the Northeast planning to go, too?

Schwenko posted other Gang of Four dates in this thread:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4465
manekineko
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:32 am

I've seen them twice on this reunion, and they've been fabulous each time. I wouldn't see them again alone, but I'd go again just to meet some of the outer-Route 128 gang like yourself, Otters, and Randy if you can turn it into an NWO party!
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby manekineko » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:43 am

Maybe we can get design femme to come, too.
manekineko
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:31 am

...just no talk of safety words or naked saunas. I couldn't handle that! [:D]
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby design_femme » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:12 am

I'll have to pass on this one… hubby and I trying to plan a mini vaction in Sept… but thank you for the invite!
design_femme
Room at the Top

Postby Otters Walk Among Us » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:55 pm

Urgh, I MIGHT be going away that weekend. If not, we can get together - I live walking distance (about 10 minutes) to Pearl Street.
Otters Walk Among Us
The Jet Set

Postby manekineko » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:06 pm

That would be great if you could make it, Otters! I'm envious that you are so close to Pearl St. I'm going to have to drive four hours to get there, but it's worth it! It's not like we get any decent bands up here in Maine.

So what do you know about the Pearl Street Ball Room? Is it a club or a concert hall?

There have to be more New Englanders on this board who could go.
manekineko
Room at the Top

Postby Otters Walk Among Us » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:26 pm

Pearl Street is a fine place to see a show, it also has a club room for smaller acts - the ballroom is upstairs and I assume it was once an actual ballroom. The stage is big, and the room is big enough that you don't feel crowded even if there is a huge crowd. Capacity is (I think) about 1200, which is a lot for this area. It's hard to know how well Gang of Four will draw here - I know all the current new wave-ish bands cite them as an influence, but if the college kids (about 30,000 in the area) don't know them, then the crowd will be small.

Overall, I've never had a problem with the sound. I tend to stand in the same area, so I don't know if there are dead spots. Like any club, I'm sure it sucks if you're 5"1', but there is a section in back that is slightly raised and has a few tables and chairs.
Otters Walk Among Us
The Jet Set

Postby manekineko » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:41 am

More than likely I'm not going to Go4, unfortunately. Mostly because of my recent knee injury. ARGH! I'm so bummed. [V]
manekineko
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:22 am

recording of recent London show for sale:

https://www.concertlive.co.uk/index.aspx
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby manekineko » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:32 pm

Otters, did you go to the show tonight? Damn, I wish I could have gone! Damn knee injury! Damn ACL! I feel like such damaged goods...
manekineko
Room at the Top

Postby design_femme » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:10 pm

yah, who went? Would love to hear a report!

Me and the boy never did go on a mini-vacation. It got delayed for Oct. I already blew money other concert tickets (U2 next Monday, Dead Can Dance next Wed, and Bauhaus in Nov… now if I can only find a way to see Front 242 in NYC as well).
design_femme
Room at the Top

Postby Otters Walk Among Us » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:14 pm

It was an excellent night for music in this city of 30,000. Gang of Four at one venue, The Posies down the street, and the New England Popfest around the corner.

I chose the Popfest.

I suppose this is where I'll admit I don't like Gang of Four enough to pass up a bunch of indiepop bands and pay $25.
Otters Walk Among Us
The Jet Set

Postby Frau_Blucher » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:54 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by design_femme[/i]
<br>yah, who went? Would love to hear a report!

Me and the boy never did go on a mini-vacation. It got delayed for Oct. I already blew money other concert tickets (U2 next Monday, Dead Can Dance next Wed, and Bauhaus in Nov… now if I can only find a way to see Front 242 in NYC as well).
[/quote]
LOL, I would have expected no less Otters. You are THE pop meister.

Did you ever get Spaz's CDR collection? It's a pretty juicy bite of pop that's right up your alley. I can forward it along.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby mjlauf » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:20 am

I went opening night in Providence on Thursday night. The energy level wasn't as high as when I saw them in Boston in the summer, but I expect that's a Providence vs Boston thing, not a band thing. The songs are absolutely unstoppable and the band played them with style.

I taped the show and for those you who do the bit torrent thing it's uploaded at dimeadozen.org.

cheers

Marc

=====
now playing - Jon Vanderslice - Pixel Revolt
mjlauf
Take On Me

Next

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews