Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Goldfrapp in NYC Tonight!

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

Goldfrapp in NYC Tonight!

Postby Frau_Blucher » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:23 pm

That was insanely great!!! Alison Goldfrapp is one SERIOUSLY SEXY ANIMAL! Wow, she's evolved quite a lot from her Felt Mountain ingénue persona to her current disco-electro-goddess powerhouse. I guarantee there is no one doing this kind of concert these days. I'm revising my top 5 2005 concert list right now!

It was a rocking mix of new wave/glam/electropop that felt like a wonderful accidental meeting of Bowie, OMD, Numan, Fox, and Debbie Harry at Klaus Nomi's house with his Total Eclipse dancers dropping by for good measure!

Not much Felt Mountain material...lots more pump and beat. But she did throw in an amazing Lovely Head where her vocoder mic routine blew peoples' minds! Number One was energetic leadoff - I guess lending credence to MikeP's idea that that's a great morning jack-up song! Her encore of the rocking Strict Machine and the final sublime Black Cherry left everyone satisfied by the looks of it.

You could swear that the glam chick with the double-synth stack ala OMD, the Jesus looking dude with the other synths/violins/aquamarine keytar, and the bassist with the clear acrylic axe stepped right out of a new wave video. I doubted putting the "next wave" label on Goldfrapp, but they project a serious glam wave persona. Scissor Sisters might be similar in some ways but not the total, funtastic package. That was a fucking blast!
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:32 pm

[quote]Originally posted by Blir
[br]That was insanely great!!! Alison Goldfrapp is one SERIOUSLY SEXY ANIMAL! Wow, she's evolved quite a lot from her Felt Mountain ingénue persona to her current disco-electro-goddess powerhouse. I guarantee there is no one doing this kind of concert these days. I'm revising my top 5 2005 concert list right now!

It was a rocking mix of new wave/glam/electropop that felt like a wonderful accidental meeting of Bowie, OMD, Numan, Fox, and Debbie Harry at Klaus Nomi's house with his Total Eclipse dancers dropping by for good measure!

Not much Felt Mountain material...lots more pump and beat. But she did throw in an amazing Lovely Head where her vocoder mic routine blew peoples' minds! Number One was energetic leadoff - I guess lending credence to MikeP's idea that that's a great morning jack-up song! Her encore of the rocking Strict Machine and the final sublime Black Cherry left everyone satisfied by the looks of it.

You could swear that the glam chick with the double-synth stack ala OMD, the Jesus looking dude with the other synths/violins/aquamarine keytar, and the bassist with the clear acrylic axe stepped right out of a new wave video. I doubted putting the "next wave" label on Goldfrapp, but they project a serious glam wave persona. Scissor Sisters might be similar in some ways but not the total, funtastic package. That was a fucking blast!
[/quote]

Goldfrapp is one of very few bands that I would say get Next Wave "right". An aural and visual treat!
Some people have knocked their latest album "Supernature" as being a rehash of "Black Cherry", but the tunes she did tonight were great and are making me sit down and really listen to this album. Of course "Number 1" is great, but I have to add "Fly Me Away", "Ride a White Horse" and "Slide In" and say that this might be the best album of 2005.
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:03 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by schwenko[/i]
<br>Goldfrapp is one of very few bands that I would say get Next Wave "right". An aural and visual treat!
Some people have knocked their latest album "Supernature" as being a rehash of "Black Cherry", but the tunes she did tonight were great and are making me sit down and really listen to this album. Of course "Number 1" is great, but I have to add "Fly Me Away", "Ride a White Horse" and "Slide In" and say that this might be the best album of 2005.
[/quote]
OMG Schwenko, did Alison put a whammy on you! [:D]

I forgot to add how awesome her look was - tight black zippered jumpsuit with unexpected straight feathered hair constantly blowing in the wind machine. I'm also remember now how incredibly chunky, low and reverberating all the bass synth sounds were - there was some serious thump in there. Very otherworldy sounds. The effect was further enhance by emerging out into Times Sqaure to all the snow and lights - very trippy.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:31 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Blir[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by schwenko[/i]
<br>Goldfrapp is one of very few bands that I would say get Next Wave "right". An aural and visual treat!
[/quote]
OMG Schwenko, did Alison put a whammy on you! [:D]

I forgot to add how awesome her look was - tight black zippered jumpsuit with unexpected straight feathered hair constantly blowing in the wind machine. I'm also remember now how incredibly chunky, low and reverberating all the bass synth sounds were - there was some serious thump in there. Very otherworldy sounds. The effect was further enhance by emerging out into Times Sqaure to all the snow and lights - very trippy.
[/quote]

Don't forget about King Kong!!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:15 am

I forgot about that...it was the King Kong premier with a giant Kong figure right in the middle of Times Square. Apparently Naomi Watts was right there when we were walking around.

I also forgot to mention how good the song Koko was in concert...a spittin' aural image of Gary Numan. And I don't know what I was thinking...Number 1 was a good song early on in the concert but it actually opened with Train and those skimpyly-clad bikini dancers. I thought that was the one lame thing about the show...added zero to it.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:38 am

from the NY Times:

December 7, 2005
Music Review | Goldfrapp
Adding a Dose of Desperation to Old-Fashioned Disco
By JON PARELES

Alison Goldfrapp, who leads Goldfrapp, makes it easy to mistake her for a lightweight electropop act. Goldfrapp's current album, "Supernature" (Mute) - a hit in Europe, though not due for an American release until March - is full of synthesizer hooks and come-hither lyrics. At the Nokia Theater on Monday night, in Goldfrapp's only United States performance this year, disco lights flashed as Ms. Goldfrapp sang lines like "I need la la la la la la/ I need ooh la la la la" or "You're my No. 1/ I'm like a dog to get you."

Wearing a black cat suit onstage, the blond, slender Ms. Goldfrapp usually let her songs do the flirting. But in "Train," which opened the set, Ms. Goldfrapp got swooping electronic tones by pressing a theremin between her thighs while two dancers in bikinis swiveled and sprawled on the stage.

Desire courses through the songs, which Ms. Goldfrapp writes with Will Gregory. And with her high, breathy voice gliding above steady-pulsing synthesizers, Goldfrapp can sound as if it's built an entire repertory on Donna Summer's 1977 hit "I Feel Love." Her songs stretched out with instrumental passages made to keep people dancing.

Yet at her best, Ms. Goldfrapp is after something stranger and more complicated than come-on's. The desire in Goldfrapp's songs isn't blissful. It's uncertain, tinged with sorrow and desperation; sometimes the crisp pop structures melt into sustained, plaintive interludes. In "Tiptoe," Ms. Goldfrapp sang, "You feel good, you feel right," but it was followed by "Tears start." And she ended the set not with an upbeat dance tune, but with the sustained ballad "Black Cherry," which tells someone she misses, "All my world in one grain of sand/ And you own it."

That moodiness is what sets Goldfrapp apart from other skilled electropop acts. But there's less of it on "Supernature" than on Goldfrapp's two previous albums, and for most of the set Goldfrapp showed only its pop side, flaunting retro 1970's sounds while letting costumes rather than music hint at other ambitions.

The dancers wore bikinis, but they were also wearing wolf masks over their heads. Later, when they returned, they were dressed as glistening white androids or tail-twirling horses. Her band members included Davide Rossi on violin, who was wearing a voluminous robe and high-heeled white platform shoes.

Perhaps Goldfrapp hopes to make a pop breakthrough now and resume its quirks afterward. But it's the quirks that make Goldfrapp more than a pop bauble.
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:01 pm

Hey Schwenko, another review, different angle than the usual. I especially like this comment:

"After the show, everyone exited the venue and ended up smoking outside near the entrance - as if we just experienced some group orgasm but no one sent me the memo stating that. But, gentle snowflakes did begin to fall and that was quite magical." [:p]

http://blogs.indiewire.com/dmw/archive/006464.html (the original)

http://blogs.indiewire.com/dmw/archive/006494.html (and add-on)
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:21 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by Blir[/i]
<br>Hey Schwenko, another review, different angle than the usual. I especially like this comment:

"After the show, everyone exited the venue and ended up smoking outside near the entrance - as if we just experienced some group orgasm but no one sent me the memo stating that. But, gentle snowflakes did begin to fall and that was quite magical." [:p]

http://blogs.indiewire.com/dmw/archive/006464.html (the original)

http://blogs.indiewire.com/dmw/archive/006494.html (and add-on)
[/quote]

Nice find Blir-ster!

how 'bout this quote:

"Why do I love New York City so much? Because there is no other city that can give you a King Kong premiere and Goldfrapp show in one night. None. To top that off, they were a block away from each other (King Kong premiere was held at Loews 42nd St E Walk)"

NWO citizens! Goldfrapp returns to tour the US March 2006... Be there or be square [:D]
schwenko
Room at the Top

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews