Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

10 best concerts ever !

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

10 best concerts ever !

Postby Coen » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:55 am

Unavoidable topic, but very interesting to me, what you experienced as best gigs ever. May be try to keep it in the New Wave field, as that makes at least me most curious.

I think this might be a hard look back in time, with lots of weighing values in hindsight. Please also mention the place/city/time you've seen those amaaazing concerts/gigs !
(I'll give a list after I do some serious soulmining myself)
Coen
Take On Me

Postby rotator » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:41 am

Good thread! here's mine...

1. Simple Minds: 'Sparkle In The Rain Tour'. Hollywood Ca - 1984. Massive/ EPIC sound. Much maligned Simple Minds deserve more credit for their pre 'Don't You Forget About Me' output. Great live Band. China Crisis opened
2. Devo: Tour 1988: Tijuana (Iguanas) Mexico. 3 hour long show - 5 costume changes...All the hits and most of the misses.
3.Ministry: 'The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste' Tour: Hollywood-CA-1989: 20 foot chainlink fence around stage was to protect the audience from the band. Extra singer (?) dives into pit fom fence over and over. Pit was filled with 8 foot tall Hells Angels. I lasted about 5 minutes.
4.The Smiths 'The Queen Is Dead' Tour: Hollywood-CA-1986: Everything you've heard is true. Last song the stage was packed with fans.
5.Spoons: 'Arias and Symphonies' Tour: Calgary, Alberta-1982; my very first concert. Brilliant. The extent of the visuals was a film projector playing a cloud loop...great album to tour.
6.The Beautiful South: '0898' tour San Diego-CA-1990: Sweaty dance fest with alot of sweaty friends. Great mood probably made this show.
7.David Sylvian: 'Secrets Of The Beehive; Tour. San Diego-CA-1987: The only rock show ive been to where everyone remained seated. This was a religious experience...the most beautiful music I've ever heard.
8.Killing Joke: "Brighter Than 1000 Suns" Tour. Hollywood-CA-1987. Massive sound - Banners waving - huge flames - Jaz in makeup and everyone in pagan heaven....
9.The Pixies:"Trompe Le Monde" Tour . San Diego -CA- 1991: The last gasp of the greatest "Indie" band in the world, was beautiful to witness...
10.Janes Addiction. "Nothing's Shocking" Tour Tiajuana (Iguanas) Mexico. Tortillas were tossed to the audience. and I tossed on my shoes...fun
Honourable mention:
•Depeche Mode: "Some Great Reward" Tour 1985. San Diego Ca 1985.

I know I've forgotten some shows --but I have saved every ticket stub --so I'll go back and look.....!

http://www.gigposters.com/designers.php?designer=47494
rotator
Room at the Top

Postby i_like_lectric_motors » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:00 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by rotator[/i]

[/quote]

I just wanted to say that Low poster you did is absolutely beautiful. Great work.[8D]
i_like_lectric_motors
Room at the Top

Postby rotator » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:32 am

Thanks 'I like lectric' I was happy to do that poster as LOW is one of my absolute favorites...

rotator
Room at the Top

Postby Coen » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:38 pm

Only 10 ? Impossible thread. [xx(]

1) MAGAZINE, June 1980, Velp, The Netherlands. In an echoey Sporthall, the dutch Gruppo Sportivo were finding there Waterloo. Sound was bad. Then Magazine came on stage. Ab-so-lu-te-ly brilliant ! Devoto had it and was renewing music before the rest did. May be the first real New Wave for that matter. He caught me. Great musicians around him....astonishing. Also parent of the New Romantics. And also made his contribution with the Orgasm Addict bootleg and EP. Devoto need so much more lime light, when you look back...and were there live !!

2)CABARET VOLTAIRE/ERIC RANDOM/METABOLIST, Paradiso, Amsterdam, The Netherlands 1980. Completely off-beat fantastic evening

3) DEVO - Melbourne, Australia. february 1982. Just arrived in Aus. for one day. Going from minus 10 C to 50degres C. Fainting half the time. DEVO kept going. There was no stopping them...Amazing energetic and perfect band.

4) SPK, Richmond plus Christal Ballroom, Melbourne, Australia 1983. They were in the midst of a change over from industrial towards metal-funk. Half the yunk yard was out there. (Saw them later also in Utrecht and Amsterdam. Graeme Revell is now a famous filmscore/musicwriter !)

5)THE BIRTHDAY PARTY. Melbourne 1982. Can remember I didn't like them at first. Then I came home, was impressed almost intimidated. Next day I woke up, I knew they were great...and went to see them the same night again. Melbourne based band at the time !! Took my Oz girlfriend along to get hypnotized aswell the 2nd night. So intense...

6) DOME, Paradiso. Gilbert & Lewis from Wire having a go at music in filmish/art approach. Great.

7) 23 SKIDOO, Amsterdam 1985. Great funky, typical Skidoo gig.First hip hop dj's were revolutionaries with their dj-ing after their gig. Amazing. A festival with film and music to shiver along...

8)WIRE, Melkweg. Also especially because I was laying in hospital, and asking the doctors to let me go for the weekend, because fave-band WIRE was coming to NL. I told them, that if they'd kept me at the hospital, I would escape. Went with my brother...and had a fantastic conversation with Bruce Gilbert about film and music ( I made films for live-music and theatre myslef)

9) NICK CAVE. MAN OR MYTH. New Years Eve 1983/4. The Bityday Party broke up. And one day I thought I saw Barry Adamson from fave-band MAGAZINE in Melbourne, which I thought was impossible. I walked up to him...and he WAS Adamson. Married to an Australian and teaming up with Cave, Tracy Pew, and Hugo Race (Plays with Marrionettes, great Melbourne band, where Nick Seymour was playing before he took on the world with Crowded House). Great concert at a fantastic (sleezy [}:)]) concertplace. Unique.

10)TUXEDOMOON, 1980 Gigant, Apeldoon, NL. Great music with Desire songs included. With Winston Tong at that time (and a Citroen bus filled with 7 music-crazy and overloaded sound system on our way)

10+)GANG OF 4. Falling in love the real first time during a Gang of 4 live gig...and catching each other. What else can you ask for...

10a [:D]) XTC - Stokvishal, Arnhem, NL. Partridge/Moulding...brilliant musicians and real XTC through music.
10b)IGGY POP, 1980 Stokvishal, Arnhem. Live energy and some Real Power.
10c) GUN CLUB - Christal Ballroonm, Melbourne. Brilliant band...
10d) SIMPLE MINDS, Arnhem, March, 1980. Just bought Empires and Dance before. It all came alive.

Mentioning great times with:
Psychedelic Furs, Scientists, Deckchairs Overboard, Orchestra of Skin and Bones, Laughing Hands, The Fall, 1/2 Japanese/Jad Fair, James Chance (NY, 1990 and Amsterdam 1996), Plays with Marionettes, Hunters and Collectors (great live band...), Siouxsie and the Banshees, Killing Joke 1980/1981 (Just had the 10" Turn to Red out if I remember well !), Chris and Cosey, Pere Ubu/David Thoams, Ramones, Kraftwerk, Mark Stewart & The Mafia (ex Sugar Hill Gang !!) in Tilburg 1985/6 !!, Adrian Sherwood, Glenn Branca, Cramps, This Heat/Camberwell Now,(Charles Hayward, what a drummer......etc.

So much, hey, pffff ? [:X][8]
PS. Can't leave out The Clash, who told the Aussies off for stealing Aboriginal Land, which aroused some booing. Super...[^]
Coen
Take On Me

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews