Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

HOW FAR WILL YOU TRAVEL FOR A GREAT SHOW?

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

HOW FAR WILL YOU TRAVEL FOR A GREAT SHOW?

Postby Chris G » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:00 pm

I'm curious here... I've moved around a bit, and when I was younger, I'd lived in some places that didn't always get the best gigs. Whenever I could scrape together the money, I would travel a few hundred miles or more to see a show. Of course, I also liked getting away to see other places, and going to shows was a great excuse... but I digress.

Now that I'm older, I live in NYC, so I'm spoiled. Pretty much anyone I'd want to see comes here. What is it like today?

Are most people on this board on the East/West Coast(s)? Of those who are in the heartland, how many of you would travel a great distance for a show? For those on the coasts, would you travel to the opposite coast if a band you really wanted to see was only playing one show in either LA, NYC? Would you ever hop on a plane to see a show, or maybe plan a trip around a specific tour date?

If there was a free website that helped you coordinate, say car-pool, and assisted in travel arrangements, centered around live music, do you think people would use it?

Would you use it?

Also, if somebody already knows of a site/service like this, could you let me know with a link?
Thanks.
Chris G
Running Up That Hill

Postby avcool4u » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:20 pm

Furthest I went was from Buffalo NY to Salt Lake City Utah to see Alphaville in 2000. I went alone and met so many wonderful people. I'd go again in a heartbeat.
I will also regulary travel from Buffalo to Toronto or Cleveland to see shows that don't come here.
Later!

-Tobes
Check out my new wave cover band in Western New York:
www.roar84.com
avcool4u
Take On Me

Postby WoodlandParkPunk » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:46 am

I would travel to LA or San Diego from here in Phoenix, but that is it.
WoodlandParkPunk
Room at the Top

Postby rotator » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:49 am

rotator
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:53 am

From CT? My radius would be up to Boston, south to NYC and even Philly for something great, east possibly to Buffalo if absolutely necessary, and lastly north to Montreal with even the slightest excuse! [:p]
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby avcool4u » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:07 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by Blir[/i]
<br>From CT? My radius would be up to Boston, south to NYC and even Philly for something great, east possibly to Buffalo if absolutely necessary, and lastly north to Montreal with even the slightest excuse! [:p]
[/quote]

Then come to Buffalo to see our show with A Flock Of Seagulls on Feb 10th. It'll be worth the trip! [:D]

-Tobes
Check out my new wave cover band in Western New York:
www.roar84.com
avcool4u
Take On Me

Postby Coen » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:36 am

Hmmm, I didn't get further out than 150 km to see a show. [:I]
But then again: everything further away then 50km is 'far' in small Netherlands ! [:)]
Coen
Take On Me

Postby Berserker » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:30 am

The farthest I ever travelled was about 2 hours to see forum favorite Corey Hart. [:D]
Berserker
The Jet Set

Postby Ollie Stench » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:43 am

Furthest I've gone to see a show was from Minneapolis to Cleveland to see The Sex Pistols in 1996. The Chicago show had sold out and they hadn't announced the Milwaukee show when I decided to go.

1998 I went from Minneapolis to Detroit to see a 2-day festival, but I don't know if that counts. My friends band was playing so I just tagged along with them.
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby StormyPetrel » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:17 pm

I flew from Atlanta, GA, to England to see Gary Numan. I joined a group of people following him on tour. We saw shows all over England.

This was one of the greatest times of my life!!! I made several English friends and some American ones that had done the same thing as me!!!!

I did this because I was CERTAIN that Numan's career was ending and I would never again have a chance to see him live.

He played in my hometown less than a year later. That was cool too, though!!! My English friends came to Atlanta!!!!!

Brad

-~Obscene dreams in rusty beds.~-
StormyPetrel
Personal Jesus

Postby Coen » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:32 pm

Wow, great story, Storm. I knew Gary Numan had a good following back in the early 80's. Didn't know they were/are pilgrims. [:D] Great to hear that people do this for bands/artists.
Coen
Take On Me

Postby Glen » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:01 am

I live in Memphis, so I pretty much have to travel if I want to see a good concert. I went to Portland twice to see Depeche Mode and Billy Idol, respectively (OK, the woman who became my wife lived there, too, but I did schedule the trip in accordance with those concerts).

Also drove to Atlanta to see the Church and to Dallas to see Depeche Mode a different time. I went to St. Louis to see the Psych Furs on a weekday, drove back and went to work the next day. That was probably my most dedicated road trip, I guess.
Glen
Personal Jesus

Postby AceR » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:15 pm

I once drove 14 hours from Athens Ohio to NYC to see this band I really like. Rockfour. Awesome.
I was late though and got to the last 2 songs...
it was worth it!
AceR
Running Up That Hill

Postby Coen » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:16 pm

Driving 14 hours for 2 songs and it was worth it ?
May be it would have been worth speeding and seeing some more songs ? I hope you didn't had to drive 14 hrs back again, wondering how those 2 songs were going...[;)]
Coen
Take On Me

Postby BHols » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:50 am

I'm on Long Island.
I went down to Dewey Beach, Delaware (approx 4 hrs) for Blondie. A place called the Bottle & Cork. It looked justlike a barn except it had a hosed down cement floor & a tree was growing right there inside the venue.
I was the person directly in front of Debbie & she sang to me all night. Heaven.

I went to Memphis for the B-52's. Don't know why - it was totally on a whim & it was the best concert of theirs I had ever been to. I later planned a trip to see them in Baltimore. That was also a great show.
BHols
Personal Jesus

Next

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews