Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Anything in SFO b/w 02-12 to 02-17?

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

Anything in SFO b/w 02-12 to 02-17?

Postby Frau_Blucher » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:19 am

I'm stuck in the Bay Area for all that week. I see nothing on the Pollstar concert lists. Anyone know of something I'm missing that week?
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby brock » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:44 am

Would you believe The Ghost of Curtis is playing 2/14 at Bottom of the Hill? They are a Joy Division cover band. Give them a listen:

http://www.myspace.com/theghostofcurtis

I'm not into JD much; if they suck, I really hope I didn't offend you.

Add -
St. Etienne on 2/17 at The Fillmore.
brock
Personal Jesus

Postby Frau_Blucher » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:03 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by brock[/i]
<br>Would you believe The Ghost of Curtis is playing 2/14 at Bottom of the Hill? They are a Joy Division cover band.
[/quote]
HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! This is hilarious. Who's joinng me?! I got drinks. Brock? Ben?? DG??? Up for a mid-week Bay Area NWO get together?!

BTW, Pollstar SUCKS! Is there something else?
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby brock » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:17 am

Hmmm. The fourteenth of February. Should that date mean anything to me[?]
brock
Personal Jesus

Postby Frau_Blucher » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:29 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by brock[/i]
<br>Hmmm. The fourteenth of February. Should that date mean anything to me[?]
[/quote]
LOL...nevermind. I may have to celebrate this love affair on my own.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Coen » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:46 am

It's just a little too much out on the other side of the world, but otherwise, it sounds good. [;)]
Coen
Take On Me

Postby Frau_Blucher » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:38 am

Well, I'll be at the Bottom of the Hill to see the Ghost of Curtis this coming Tuesday on freaking Valentines Day. I'll be with some of my younger music-loving colleagues since we're stuck at a freaking meeting all week in SF. If any locals are around, drop me an email!
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Quite Life » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:24 am

The Love Makers will be at Slims on Wed $17 @ the door I'll try to be there. If not I Might go to the Saint Etienne show
Quite Life
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:47 pm

I was completely prepared to accept that tonight's show would be a sloppy, hollow exploitation act...but it wasn't. The Ghost of Curtis were raw, energetic and vital. FREAKING EXCELLENT! Thanks for the turn-on Brock. The crowd was surprisingly young with a few oldtimers sprinked in. Everyone seemed to know all the songs, even the surprisingly large numbers of attractive 20-something women who were INTO it.

JD's songs really do sound awesome in full revivalist crunchy alterno punk rock form. The drummer was powerful, the lead guitarist/singer's range was a touch higher than Curtis' but strong, and the bass was maybe a hair too muddy. The rhythm guitarist/keyboardist added a nice sound-reenforcing touch with his Andromeda synth. I spoke to him at length after the show and he was really stoked that someone appreciated that they were being faithful with the full-analog keyboard - nice.

- Atrocity Exhibition opened the show to a nice mesmerizing pace. I can't remember the order of the rest of the set.
- LWTUA and Ceremony closed the show. Ceremony was a rousing finish. LWTUA was one of the weaker songs - I just think it's hard to do right.
- Shadowplay and Transmission were notably powerful with lots of pogoing and head-bobbing in the crowd.
- No Love Lost sounded like a fresh rebellious modern alterno ballad.
- Atmosphere was shimmering with great synth work.
- Isolation was really driving
- New Dawn Fades ROCKED - most faithful to the version on Still
- Digital contained a phenomenal bass solo about 2/3s of the way thru.

There were a couple others that I just can't remember. Anyway, great show, not a terrible way to kill Valentines Day while traveling. I left a few songs into Death of a Party, an amalgam of The Strokes, Interpol and Franz Ferdinand that had opened elsewhere for Metric and Bloc Party - big disappointment. Somewhat charismatic and unbelieveably skinny dudes with skinny ties but noting original, paced, or well-constructed - I felt like saying "too many notes".
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby hexicon » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:40 pm

[quote]<I left a few songs into Death of a Party, an amalgam of The Strokes, Interpol and Franz Ferdinand that had opened elsewhere for Metric and Bloc Party - big disappointment. Somewhat charismatic and unbelieveably skinny dudes with skinny ties but noting original, paced, or well-constructed - I felt like saying "too many notes".
[/quote]

Somewhat charismatic, unbeliveably skinny, skinny ties . . . and mentioned in the same sentence as FF? I will have to check them out! [:D][:p]
hexicon
Room at the Top

Postby brock » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:39 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Blir[/i]
<br>I was completely prepared to accept that tonight's show would be a sloppy, hollow exploitation act...but it wasn't. The Ghost of Curtis were raw, energetic and vital. FREAKING EXCELLENT! Thanks for the turn-on Brock. The crowd was surprisingly young with a few oldtimers sprinked in. Everyone seemed to know all the songs, even the surprisingly large numbers of attractive 20-something women who were INTO it.

[/quote]Glad to hear it, Blir. I would have gone if it wasn't for Valentines.[:(!]
Let me know when you're back out here.
brock
Personal Jesus

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews