Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

A Flock of Seagulls - Review and WARNING!!!

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

A Flock of Seagulls - Review and WARNING!!!

Postby Rubellan » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:05 pm

You know, I don't know who's to blame for the false advertising, but everything I've seen regarding this current Seagulls tour has stated that it's a reunion tour; everyone except Paul Reynolds. The local music magazine promoted it as such, and even the venue's website had the "reunion" in capital letters. I originally had no intention of going, but after hearing it was going to be 3/4 of the real band, focusing mainly on the first 3 albums, I was not going to have a problem driving through a snowstorm to see that. And I knew there would be no way a Mike Score only show would cost $20.

I drove east towards Cleveland in the worst snowstorm I've ever driven through. Cars were off the road everywhere, and I was on the verge of turning around, but thought I may never have this opportunity to see this near-complete line up again so I perservered. By the time I got near Cleveland the snow had ended and the drive was not near as treacherous. I picked my sister up and we went to the show. We walked in and heard this great New Wave music. I was wondering what was being played? To my surprise, it was the opening act. They were called White Chapel and they sounded amazing. I have NEVER seen an opening band that I liked but this was stunning. One song sounded like Kraftwerk, the next was very Soft Cell. They were true retro, not partial like so many of the much-hyped "new" New Wave bands. The most shocking thing..., they were kids! Maybe in their early 20's, not even alive when this stuff originated. Maybe they were just having a really good set but I was very impressed, and will be at their next gig.

After the opening act finished their set, my sister and I awaited the Seagulls. It was a typical Cleveland concert setting; everyone was very bored looking, sitting in their seats looking like they were awaiting their meds in the retirement home. When the Seagulls took stage we looked in awe as Mike Score showed up with a couple young, thin sidemen that looked like they'd be better suited for a Motley Crue cover band. At first I was hoping they were just sound men coming out to tune the instruments. That was until the music started. WHAT A RIP!! I thought I was getting the REAL band. I would never have travelled in that weather and paid that much for this show. I was on the verge of demanding a refund but my sister can manage to have fun in most circumstances so we just critiqued the dull crowd and the dull selection of songs that made up the first half of the set. We had to suffer though those awful "Light at the end of the world" songs, and then some others said to be on an upcoming CD. I wanted to avoid having to hear this more recent material, as they are all banal songs about girls and relationships, and hearing/seeing Mr. Score sing about "making love" is just enough to put me off my cake.

At this early stage in the show, one of the venue employees came and told my sister and I to sit down. Sit down?! This is a fucking concert, not dinner theater! Are we to assume that concerts attended by a 30's/40's crowd are to be seated shows? I ain't that old, and don't ever expect to be. I sat down and pouted a bit about the misleading show adverts and the lame venue staff. The night felt like a real dud.

When the run of forgettable newer material FINALLY ended, on came Space Age Love Song. The place went nuts! Well, as nuts as a middle aged Cleveland crowd can get. My sister got up and rebelled against the venue staff by dancing like a loon in the middle of the aisle we were told to stay out of. She's quite an inspiration, but I was still in no mood to jump up and do my American Bandstand circa 1982 bopping..., yet. After that we got the surprise of the great song Quicksand, which put most people back in their seats. Nightmares came on and almost got me out of my seat. Wishing got my sister back up in the aisles acting nuts. By that point I felt my urge to get up and have some fun, regardless of the unpleasantness surrounding the evening. When Mike said, "Here's the one you've been waiting for", I knew was it was. I was in the aisle with my sister and got heavily into my retro 80's dancing. It was a blast! We all stormed the stage as I stomped on people's feet and whacked 'em with my flailing arms. It's been far too long since I danced like that. I was amazed to see so many others showing such enthusiasm at this point, but it rarely makes it beyond "The Hit Song".

After I Ran finished, Mike and his motley crue left the stage, only to return 60 seconds later for 3 great final numbers. First, we got Telecommunication, which again resulted in me injuring a few people. Then I got the biggest surprise of the night; one of my all time favorites The Traveller. For that my sis dragged me off the stage and into the aisle where we could bop a bit less restrained. I felt crazed, though in a good way. The final song was the fast paced Messages. I was non-stop, even though I had not an ounce of moisture left in my mouth and my heart was about to give out. By then my mood was much elevated, and my sister and my inhibitions seems to loosen up some of the other usually stuffy Cleveland concert goers.

As we walked out we talked of how much we enjoyed that last 20 minutes of the show. I'm glad I was able to turn the mood around and have some fun for my $20, but I still wonder if Mr. Score was behind the false advertising to encourage suckers like me to pay a bigger price than we would have otherwise. There were definitely some unhappy faces in the crowd, and even some that left shortly into the set, but then this is Cleveland and it's all about the 'tude so you never know....................

Rubellan's morning comments:
There, now you got your paragraphs. [:p] It was after midnight when I made the posting so I was in no mood to obsess about its appearance, but now that it's morning and I have my coffee....[8)]
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:02 pm

Despite the post needing some paragraphs ( [;)] ), big big thanks for the review. The majority of the concert is exactly what I was afraid of after seeing Score on that godawful TV battle of the bands type show. He looked just terrible and the real band was nowhere to be seen. Otherwise, I would have tried to get to Buffalo at avCool4u urgings. But I'm glad he at least brought it for the finale. I bet there's a lot of new bands doing things better these days and even other veterans - Kraftwerk, EATBM, New Order, Berlin, Gang of Four, etc.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby marie3 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:02 am

What an awesome review. Thanks for taking the time to write it all down for us.
marie3
Der Kommissar

Postby rotator » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:16 am

That was a great review ---Im glad it had a happy ending.

I saw AFOS in 82 with the Fixx....I thought it was great! AFOS write great songs.....

in 1989 AFOS played a bowling alley in San Diego. I didnt attend

------------------------------------------------
Check out some of my rock posters....

http://www.gigposters.com/designers.php?designer=47494
rotator
Room at the Top

Postby Berserker » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:20 am

I had to check the date on this review and make sure it wasn't from 1986 rather than 2006. Since when is $20 a lot for a concert ticket?! I haven't been to a show that was less than $35 for ages, and it's usually more like $60.
Berserker
The Jet Set

Postby pilotbob3 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:40 am

I saw the AFOS at Crash Mansion in NYC thursday night. Great show for $ 20! i got in for $ 10 though..lol. That Thursday night also was the first '80's and Ladies night at that venue. Really nice place too. 199 Bowery @ Spring St. Ill be there as many Thursdays as I can!
pilotbob3
Running Up That Hill

Postby avcool4u » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:52 am

Hi gang. Just had our AFOS show in Buffalo last night. The band arrived a little late in a big Ford Dually pickup truck, having driven through a pretty serious snow storm.
We had pretty much the same show as above, but it was a general admission, so we didn't have anyone stopping people from dancing.
In fact, our band, ROAR84 had everyone dancing their heads off in our set as the opener. We had brought in a lot of the crowd, so that was understandable.
The AFOS show was really good, and their sound was great. Mike's vocals could have been a little clearer, but aside from that it was a great show. Of course, the place did go nuts when they played I Ran. We also had the pleasure of hearing Spaced Age Lovesong twice, because they played the whole song for their sound check. Because of their soundcheck taking so long though, we had to go on with virtually No soundcheck, being the second of three bands.
We had a great night, and it was a blast. I think AFOS will remember our Buffalo show as one of the better ones of their tour. And the tickets were only $10 in advance, $15 at the door.

-Tobes
Check out my new wave cover band in Western New York:
www.roar84.com
avcool4u
Take On Me

Postby KYYX4ever » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:24 am

I'm glad the AFOS show got better at the end. That means you got to leave with a great feeling, nice night cap.

But I agree about the price of the show. I'm a cheapskate--I generally don't attend shows if they're over $20.00. (unless it's somebody I REALLY REALLY REALLY love![:p]) And at any rate, many bands that cost over $ 20.00 or so bucks a ticket, I'm not into anyway.
KYYX4ever
Room at the Top

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews