Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Night Court vs. Cheers vs. Seinfeld

Reserved for off-topic posts.

Postby Panorama » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:01 am

The correct order is:
1. Seinfeld
2. Seinfeld
3. Seinfeld

I've never even heard of these other two shows, Cheers and Night Court. [:D]

---------------------------
"Photography with a Vision"
http://www.cooganphoto.com
Panorama
Room at the Top

Postby Spit » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:56 pm

Cheers and Seinfeld I thought were great shows . Night Court would not even make it in my top 50. Just never cared for that show.
Spit
Room at the Top

Postby birdmadgirl » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:32 pm

I have to go with Seinfeld. I vaguely remember Cheers--I might have seen an episode or two--and I don't remember Night Court at all.
birdmadgirl
Room at the Top

Postby British » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:21 pm

I used to watch Night Court all the time. Hell, I watched an 8 hour marathon of it. Oh you dan Fielding!

Never got into Cheers.

Seinfeld's alright, once you discover the formula.
British
Room at the Top

Postby SomebodySomewhere » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:22 pm

All three of them slipped after their creators left/handed the reins over to other people, but I thought "Seinfeld's" quality suffered the least. It got too outlandish and too cartoony at times, sure, but the poorest episode of the last two seasons by far was the one that Larry David returned to do.

I don't remember the exact year Reinhold Weege bailed on "Night Court" without checking (like "Seinfeld," I think he skipped out on the last two seasons), but the show went into the tank immediately after he jumped ship. "Cartoony" didn't even begin the latter years of the show. It was more like self-parody.

"Cheers" ran longer than most comedies have a right to, so I guess it was understandable that the final years would not be great. This one went through several different showrunning teams, all of which put a decidedly different stamp on it. The best stamp was of course the original. It was Glen and Les Charles' vision*, and nobody else really respected it. Nicholas Colasanto dying and Shelley Long leaving probably didn't help.

"Night Court" and "Seinfeld" were at their best in the middle; "Cheers" was its best at the start. With that said, "Cheers" was the only I was there with at the beginning (I was one of about five people watching on premiere night -- you know, when it achieved a last-place finish for the week) and was the only one that was great at the beginning, but "Seinfeld" is the one I really catch on a regular basis in reruns. So... I guess... it?

*Mind you, we don't have to mention WCVB's "Park Street Under," but I'm sure most of my fellow ex-Bostonians remember how much they "borrowed" from it.
SomebodySomewhere
Room at the Top

Postby DayGloJo » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:24 am

Seinfeld. No question.
I'm also a huge fan of Larry David's "Curb Your Enthusiasm," which is really just a slightly raunchier version of Seinfeld.

Seinfeld's producers knew when to quit. I lost interest in both Night Court and Cheers after the first 3 seasons. I loved Seinfeld straight through to the final season.

DayGloJo
DayGloJo
The Jet Set

Previous

Return to —Not Necessarily New Wave—