Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

FAVORITE WORDS

Reserved for off-topic posts.

Postby Spaz » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:15 pm

Here's one word I HATE:

moist
Spaz
The Jet Set

Postby devildog » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:39 pm

Some of my favorite words are:

Re-issue
Re-master
Bonus tracks
I now have
Essential
Must F@#$ing have
1st time on cd!
devildog
The Jet Set

Postby Grunch » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:20 pm

Love those phrases devildog.....also, to truly appreciate them you must hear the emotion attached to them as they are being said.....I must have seems like just three little words, but we know the inflections and tone make them meaningful when it comes to music.

MFH will always be my favorite since it takes me back to 1983 when I guess we first started using it. Ah, the good old days of WPLT and the after hours scoops.
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby phillyidol » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:03 am

Thanks Grunch! thanks for reminding me of my own situation. After reading your post I woke up my wife and punched her.Just kidding(but I did think of it) Sounds like you got it made! You are lucky. And to all you other happy couples out there....foooey!It is real rare that a couple turns out that well. God bless you all!(&*%$#@$%)
phillyidol
Room at the Top

Postby KYYX4ever » Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:11 am

ExRat,

one of the funniest words in Estonian that I remember was "POOD". That always was guaranteed to crack me up ! (Grocery store sign)
KYYX4ever
Room at the Top

Postby devildog » Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:23 am

Here is a funny Polish slang word for ass/butt: dupa. (pronounced doo-puh) My Polish grandmother would say it and we kids would bust out laughing. It was a common term in our house growing up.
devildog
The Jet Set

Postby Jason² » Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:34 am

Somnambulist
Jason²
The Jet Set

Postby ExRat » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:55 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by KYYX4ever[/i]
<br>ExRat,

one of the funniest words in Estonian that I remember was "POOD". That always was guaranteed to crack me up ! (Grocery store sign)
[/quote]

KYYX4ever,

"Pood" is a really funny word. It does simply mean "store".

meesterõivaste pood - clothing store
kommipood - candy store
rohupood - drug store
toidupood - grocery store
etc...

Having been born in Estonia, I am curious as to your thoughts about Estonia. Where and when did you visit? What did you think of the country? The language? The culture? The people? I have visited nearly every summer to hang out and see relatives since 1993 (with the exceptions of a few years when I was quite po' - including this summer.) My parents now spend summers there in a really nice cottage near Haapsalu, their hometown and my sister lives in Tartu, Tartumaa.
ExRat
Room at the Top

Postby Panorama » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:16 pm

My 2 favorite lines I love to hear and say are:

1. When the bank teller says:
"Here is the receipt for your deposit Mr. Coogan."

2. and when I get to say:
"Oh God, I'm Cummmmmmmming."

;-)

In the movie "Donnie Darko", Drew Barrymore plays a Literature teacher. In one scene, she has the words "Cellar Door" written on the board behind her. When questioned, she remarks that "a linguist" once said that, of all the sounds in language and all their combinations, the words "cellar door" form the most perfectly pleasing sound to the human ear (or something to that effect).
Panorama
Room at the Top

Postby KYYX4ever » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:15 am

ExRat,

I lived in Latvia for 2 & 1/2 years in the Peace Corps from 1992-94. We were the first group of volunteers to go over there following their independence. In fact, Peace Corps got the keys to the office (no small feat, trying to wrest such an item from the newly forming local mafia!) the DAY our plane landed.

At first we were called "Peace Corps Baltics", as opposed to what later became PC Estonia, PC Latvia, and PC Lithuania. As a result, during those 2 years, they brought all three of us groups together for conferences and such. We taught English in high schools & colleges. The conferences would be in places like Riga (Latvia), Kaunas & Vilnius (Lithuania), and Parnu and Tallinn. There were 43 of us volunteers, and getting together was ALWAYS a highlight of our time over there.

ANYWAY, I liked Estonia, even though it was always (in the winters) cold and dark. In some ways, so were the Estonians. There was this saying amongst the Baltic peoples: In Lithuania, when it came to say goodbye, it took forever, and you'd have a hard time getting that person out the door. But in Estonia, your guest would leave in no time flat, often before saying goodbye. This was referring to how Estonians didn't mince words and mess around, and how Lithuanians loved to chat and sit and chat. Estonians seemed more resolute, more cut-to-the chase type of people, no messing around. They took the hardest stance against the Russians living there--they had the most difficult residency requirements for the Russians living there ( as compared to the Latvians and Liths), and it made news constantly. Tensions ran high in places like Narva, in particular, because there were so many Russians. ( Latvians tried enacting tough citizenship requirements, but Russians complained their way around that; human rights groups got all up in it, and the Lats eased it up.) Liths simply let them all be citizens and had very few problems with their smaller Russian minority. That's what I predominantly remember about Estonia, that they were so tough. They'd have to be...living up in the cold like that !

However, in the summers, it was always sunny ( i LOVED that!!), and they had the BIGGEST Jani parties( the summer solstice celebration--I forget the Estonian word for it). These people went all out, staying in the forest for 2 or 3 days jumping over bonfires, and all sorts of other pagan rituals. (Latvians went nuts, too--but I spent my last Jani, in '94, with some friends in Haapsalu, and it was even more wild than Latvia). I liked Parnu quite a bit---the feel of the town was cute--and of course Tallinn rocked a hard jam. What a gorgeous city ! I loved all the cobblestoned streets, the architecture, the colors of the buildings, and the windy-ness of the narrow streets. I spent a memorable evening at a popular bar called "Estli Tall" (or something like that...it meant "donkey stall", I think) seeing a Latvian band. Estonians didn't dance, but they sure could drink and sing and shout. And smoke cigarettes like chimneys.

Overall, Estonia transitioned the most quickly into a free-market economy. They had the best official-looking money--I remember "EestiPank" printed on them...heh, "Pank" heh!--as opposed to the transitional currencies of the other 2 Baltic countries, which got turned into toilet paper after 2 years! Estonia was very much like Finland ( for natural reasons, such as the propinquity of their culture and language.) Finally, Estonian is one of THE MOST diificult languages EVER, with something like 16 cases, no future tense, and no genders ( I think) which made it insane. I learned some basic Estonian to get around--numbers, directions, stuff like that.

My fave word was still "Pood".

A little wordy, but maybe that helps answer your questions ? Let me know; I'll share more [:)]
KYYX4ever
Room at the Top

Postby ExRat » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:14 pm

KYYX4ever,

Wow! I am both very impressed and pleased with your comments about Estonia. I can't tell you the number of times growing up how I would have to painfully and reptetively explain where the hell I was originally from - most people would ignorantly come to conclusion that I was Russian, even after a lengthy geography and history lesson. When I was really little, I was always taunted with "Why don't you go back to Russia" by other kids.

My parents would certainly love your observations about Estonian directness. That is simply spot on. Estonians are renowned for "avameelselt rääkima" - speaking their minds . My parents definitely have always been emotional minimalists - a very Estonian characteristic. It's funny because in my daily life, I am always referred to as being very reserved. But, whenever I visit Estonia, I am always referred to by Estonian relatives and friends as far too outgoing.

My favorite time in Estonia is also the Jaanipäev and Jaaniöö festivals. It is always best to catch the celebrations in the countryside. Although Tallinn is really fun for clubbing on Summer Solstice, it's always best to spend Jaaniöö with friends (or family) in the forest or paddocks. So much drinking and singing, this is when I feel most connected to be Estonian. I also missed the giant Laulupidu (song festival) held this summer. It's held every five years and attended by nearly a third of the country. I wanted to go so badly, but couldn't afford it or get away from work.

I'm really pleased at your knowledge of Estonian culture, history, and language. So many tourists STILL end up in Tallinn (the most beautiful European city in my eyes - but I'm biased) and wonder why everyone isn't wearing a sable hat and speaking Russian. The ignorance is sometimes quite funny. I remember once walking down Lauriteri Street and being stopped by a confounded older American couple saying how thankful they were that all the street signs were in Roman script for the benefit of tourists.

Although it's still developing, Estonia is really on a fast track towards economic growth and recovery...as well as emotional healing. Although just last week their were all sorts of small scale riots when some statues of Estonian nationalists were torn down (because they were later believed to be Nazi collaboraters). Then in retaliation all of the statues remaining of Russian soldiers were vandalized. They problems with the Russian minority are still very contentious in the country and time hasn't healed much resentment. Most Estonians won't outwardly say it, but privately amongst each other the ethnic hatred is VERY palpable. My uncle can literally go on for days and not run out of slurs or expletives for Russians in particular and any Slav in general.

It's good to know that you were keen to learn more about the places you visited and not be an "Ugly American". You obviously have a really terrific grasp and interest in different cultures and people. So many aren't like that. It truly is refreshing to hear from someone who took a real interest in their surroundings! Suur tänu!

Proosit,
ExRat
ExRat
Room at the Top

Postby Frayo » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:04 am

"ipod"....
Frayo
Room at the Top

Postby egg-roger » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:22 am

I like hybrid words, pseudowords formed by fusion of two real words, like intertrusion or insinuendo.
egg-roger
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:53 am

Callipygian[:D][:p][;)][}:)]
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:50 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by schwenko[/i]
<br>Callipygian[:D][:p][;)][}:)]
[/quote]
And your top 5 hottest men based on this??? [:o)]
Frau_Blucher