Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Questions that stem from "all about you" quizzes

Reserved for off-topic posts.

Questions that stem from "all about you" quizzes

Postby mare_idol » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:53 am

Ebbhead -- You said you met your wife at a magazine ... what magazine did you both work for and are you still in publishing?

Also someone said they met their significant other from "speed-dating" -- what is that?
mare_idol
The Jet Set

Postby phillyidol » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:11 am

Man if I were single I would speed date every week. You go to a bar and you get 5 minutes to meet and talk to a person then go to the next. You meet like 20 people and keep score, if your scores match you get their e mail. But after everyone hooks up anyway. Nice excuse to meet people.
phillyidol
Room at the Top

Postby devildog » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:35 am

[quote]Originally posted by mare_idol
[br]Ebbhead -- You said you met your wife at a magazine ... what magazine did you both work for and are you still in publishing?

Also someone said they met their significant other from "speed-dating" -- what is that?
[/quote]

Hi Mare,

That was me who mentioned speed dating. Phillyidol explained it fairly well in his post. Essentially, it is a way to meet alot of people without going throught the time and expense of dating and avoiding dead-ends. I went to one that was sponsored by a singles group in Austin. This is a representation of how it works:

M M M M M M M M
F F F F F F F F

All the guys sit in one row and the gals the opposite. You then have 4 or 5 minutes totalk to the person seated in front of you. After the time is up, the men switch seats and everyone records whether they liked that person or not-Y or N. Then the process repeats until everyone has spoken to each other. Finally, the sponsors send you a list of the ones who said Yes to you and vice-versa. Therefore, you only get the people that you liked during the meeting. Then it is up to you (or the other person) to initiate contact and plan another date.

It was funny when I went because I had no idea what it was all about. Yet, after the session, when I received my list of 5 "Yes" candidates, there was only one person on it that I truly remembered the most. So, naturally I called her first and the rest is, shall I say, history! It might not be for everyone but it worked for me!!
devildog
The Jet Set

Postby Grunch » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:01 pm

For athletes, they have a version called speed skating, you get to mumble one word as you blow by them on the ice, and if you connect, maybe a date will ensue. An interesting, albeit, inexpensive way to break the ice, especially for cheap-skates.......sorry, the puns were just there.
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby edisonoside » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:37 pm

The things you straight people have to do to get laid?!
edisonoside
Room at the Top

Postby ebbhead » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:23 am

[quote]Originally posted by mare_idol
[br]Ebbhead -- You said you met your wife at a magazine ... what magazine did you both work for and are you still in publishing?
[/quote]
It was Rolling Stone.
ebbhead
The Jet Set

Postby devildog » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:27 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by edisonoside[/i]
<br>The things you straight people have to do to get laid?!
[/quote]

Actually some of us straights look to have a meaningful relationships. Just because its all about getting your rocks off in your circle, does not mean it applies to all of us as well!
devildog
The Jet Set

Postby mare_idol » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:27 am

Thanks for explaining "speed dating" to me -- if I was available, I wouldn't be into it, it sounds too overwhelming.

Ebbhead -- Wow, that's very cool! I'm so proud of you! Rolling Stone is one of the magazines that kept the sophistication it had in the 1970s when I was only 12 and in awe of rock magazines.

Are you still in publishing? I've been in publishing for a very long time, and once you get into it, you can't get out, it's completely addicting!
mare_idol
The Jet Set

Postby hexicon » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:25 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by mare_idol[/i]
<br>

Are you still in publishing? I've been in publishing for a very long time, and once you get into it, you can't get out, it's completely addicting!
[/quote]

Mare, what do you do in the publishing field? (When my book is done I may need some contacts [:D])
hexicon
Room at the Top

Postby mare_idol » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:52 am

Hexicon,

I'm a writer :)

I can copyedit/proofread your book at a decent price if you like :)
mare_idol
The Jet Set

Postby beatschool » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:13 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by hexicon[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by mare_idol[/i]
<br>

[/quote]

Mare, what do you do in the publishing field? (When my book is done I may need some contacts [:D])
[/quote]

Hey Hex -

Stephen Rabow owns a publishing company and might be able to help. His schedule seems quite hectic, but he might be able to help. If not him, my sister owns an small alternative publishing company in Paris. She has loads of good contacts.
beatschool
The Jet Set

Postby beatschool » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:14 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by devildog[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by edisonoside[/i]
[/quote]

Actually some of us straights look to have a meaningful relationships. Just because its all about getting your rocks off in your circle, does not mean it applies to all of us as well!
[/quote]

Devil, I think Edison was kidding. Your reaction says something interesting about you, though.
beatschool
The Jet Set

Postby devildog » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:33 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by beatschool[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by devildog[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by edisonoside[/i]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Devil, I think Edison was kidding. Your reaction says something interesting about you, though.
[/quote]

Yeah, you are right. I must be having a stressful day and not realizing it. I guess I am also being a little over-protective of my wife. Anyway, I am always up for a little psycohanalysis...what do you think my response said about me? I hope it is something funny!!
devildog
The Jet Set

Postby hexicon » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:34 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by beatschool[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by hexicon[/i]
<br>[quote]<

Stephen Rabow owns a publishing company and might be able to help. His schedule seems quite hectic, but he might be able to help. [/quote]

Beat School, that's good to know. Stephen got in touch with me over this board and has offered help with KYYX playlists, etc.

MareIdol, what do you write?
hexicon
Room at the Top

Postby mare_idol » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:56 am

Hexicon, I've been a music journalist since 1995 (magazines, websites, newspapers both freelance and full-time.) At my current job I'm mostly into entertainment features. I got pretty burnt on doing CD reviews, but if something really amazing comes across my desk I'll review it. I also write about: gay rights, animal rights and some community stories and occasionally basic news stories. In the past I wrote a lot of theatre reviews, but I'm burnt on that too.

I'm writing some erotica/humor on the side too, freelancing.

Also have been on the radio a few times performing my poetry, which is more like Lydia Lunch's spoken word.
mare_idol
The Jet Set

Next

Return to —Not Necessarily New Wave—