Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

EndFest concert/80s and 00s bands

Reserved for off-topic posts.

EndFest concert/80s and 00s bands

Postby hexicon » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:46 am

So, three late-thirties chicks (lawyer, banker, insurance exec) went to Seattle's KNDD EndFest at the White River Amphitheater yesterday. I would say we were older than 95% of the audience, but not significantly less-pierced.

The venue is good, by the way, and there was a revolving stage set-up so no lengthy waits between bands.

METRIC: These guys tried hard, but we didn't know them and spent the set in the beer garden.

MUSE: Great set. I had no idea there were only three of them. They did a pretty good job recreating their album sound, and the kids i the pit were pretty excited.

PSYCHEDELIC FURS: After Muse's hard-driving set, the Furs opened with "Love My Way," and I'm afraid it just didn't work. Richard Butler's voice was ragged and off-pitch for much of the set. He tried to dance and stir up some energy, but the Furs' mellower sound just seemed like easy listening. The crowd wasn't even interested in "Pretty in Pink"; to most of them it was just a silly Molly Ringwald movie that came out about the time they were born. We were lamenting that they'd never appreciate how different it was when it first came out.

YEAH YEAH YEAHS: I can't get into these guys. We went to the beer garden.

X: These guys were fab. Exene is carrying a few extra, and she wore large dark glasses most of the set, and John has a few wrinkles, but they were going at it like no time had passed. Unlike the Furs, they really looked like they were enjoying themselves. They did all the classics--"Blue Spark," "Los Angeles," "New World"--plus a cover of "Sheena is a Punk Rocker" in honor of Johnny Ramone.

VIOLENT FEMMES: We looked at each other and said we're glad our husbands/SOs aren't here, because we're going to dance just like we did at the sleazy apartment in the U-District in 1986! They were serious and professional, but still gave the crowd everything they had; we responded by singing back every word . . . except for the bluegrassy Christian stuff. (I forgot they went through that period." They didn't do "Fat" or "Give Me the Car," but other than that they played all our favorites.

FRANZ FERDINAND: Hot and taut and lean and hard and DEAD SEXY. And I'm just talking about the music! [:p][:p][:p] These guys are everything a rock-n-roll band should be. Plus, skinny young guys in very tight pants! I loved the album before but now I am completely INFATUATED too! Alex and Nick are HOT! I would have thrown my panties if I'd been wearing any! They came on stage with some nice words about the set played by the Femmes and then rocked out both professionally and passionately. They played the whole album, I think, plus maybe a b-side that wasn't on the album. We've heard these guys compared to other NW acts before, but I was put in mind of early Who or Kinks--that same kind of testosterone! [:p][:p][:p]

ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN: Hooo boy, this was embarassing. Ian was annoyed about some problems with the sound system beginning with the first song, "Lips Like Sugar," which he introduced as the "best fucking song in the world" and it only got worse. He was wearing a duffle coat and dark glasses; like an aging diva, he kept the lights down, so we couldn't see his face. He cursed at the audience, forgot words to songs, started "Dancing Horses" only to tell the band "Fucking forget it, play 'Crocodiles.'" Just a complete meltdown. I was embarassed for him. They cut the set back abruptly and the audience booed them off.

PRESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES: We left early (babysitter).
hexicon
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:56 am

Nice review Hex. I love getting these snippets. I hope everyone keeps 'em coming. Bummer about Echo. Ian's such an iconic figure for me, and your news is crushing. Hope it was just a bad night. Anyone else see them recently when they were more on?
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby KYYX4ever » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:50 am

Good review. I was bummed to hear this about the Furs...anyone else seen them recently and agree with this ? I've heard little things here and there similar to this, so I am curious. Too bad. Awesome hearing about Franz Ferdinand...I love 'em too ! Hope
KYYX4ever
Room at the Top

Postby ebbhead » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:01 am

I saw the Furs on their tour with the Alarm last year. All I can say is that it must have been a pad day in Seattle. Their set in NYC was amazing. Small venue, but he worked the crowd like nobody's business.

Saw Echo & the Bunnymen in 01 (with the F
ebbhead
The Jet Set

Postby WoodlandParkPunk » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:53 am

No panties, huh??? Hmmmmm........
WoodlandParkPunk
Room at the Top

Postby hexicon » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:22 pm

Well sheesh, WoodlandPark, pants ride so low these days a girl needs a bikini wax just to put on her jeans . . . if you don't want your thong hanging out like some girl in a rap video, commando really is the only option! [}:)]
hexicon
Room at the Top

Postby hexicon » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:46 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by ebbhead[/i]
<br>I saw the Furs on their tour with the Alarm last year. All I can say is that it must have b
hexicon
Room at the Top

Postby hexicon » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:38 pm

Update: this morning the KNDD disc jockey said that before Echo & the Bunnymen went on Saturday night, Ian was so drunk that he was trying to tell knock-knock jokes.
hexicon
Room at the Top

Return to —Not Necessarily New Wave—