Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Tech News: Burn your whole cd collection on 1 disc

Reserved for off-topic posts.

Tech News: Burn your whole cd collection on 1 disc

Postby Darkwave » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:47 am

1 Terabyte Optical Disk Invented
Techtree News Staff Email Print
September 28, 2004

A new optical disk format has been invented by Scientists at the Imperial College, London, which enables 1,000 GB, a terabyte of data, to be stored on a disk the same size of a CD.

The disk, called MODS, for Multiplexed Optical Data Storage, works by varying the angle at which the disk reflects light from a drive's laser. This system can store 332 different data signals where a CD or DVD can only store two.

Imperial College's Peter Török said, that this would dwarf the capacity of DVDs, currently the most widely used video storage medium, but this technology is more likely to find a home in places that need to store vast amounts of data, such as libraries.

Although Török's team can get the data onto the disk, they do not have a drive that can read it back fast enough. Consequently they do not expect MODS to go into commercial production until 2010 or beyond.

A double-sided version of the disk could potentially contain 472 hours of video footage - equivalent to a terabyte. A double-sided, double-layered DVD holds less than 20 gigabytes of data.

BluRay disks, which are to be commercially released shortly, can hold a maximum of 100 gigabytes and MODS can store ten times as much.

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/sh ... 53986&s=ln
Darkwave
Personal Jesus

Postby Otters Walk Among Us » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:25 pm

1,000 GB? Puh-leaze. If you don't have at least 37,000 GB of new wave obscurities, why are you even here? Go away and bother me no more with your trifles.
Otters Walk Among Us
The Jet Set

Postby ebbhead » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:11 am

Well kimiii, if you're nice to Otters, I'm sure he'll burn his 37K gigs of obscurities for you on 37 of those new discs. [:p]
ebbhead
The Jet Set

Postby Otters Walk Among Us » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:37 am

Otters require lots and lots of seafood, toss us clams and squids and fishes to eat off our bellies while we float around all day and we'll do anything!
Otters Walk Among Us
The Jet Set

Postby troutbreath » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:39 am

[quote]Originally posted by Darkwave
[br]1 Terabyte Optical Disk Invented
Techtree News Staff Email Print
September 28, 2004
troutbreath
Take On Me

Postby Sean » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:38 am

Wonder how much this disc would cost? Let's see, 1,000 gigs. Hmmm, a little calculation time here on how many songs (mp3's) this can possible hold. Let's say an average cd holds around 100 mp3's. A cd is 740 megabytes. So 1000 megabytes equals one gi
Sean
Room at the Top

Return to —Not Necessarily New Wave—