Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

What's wrong with the record business?

Reserved for off-topic posts.

Postby Jason² » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:47 am

*reserves this spot for future commentary on this topic*
Jason²
The Jet Set

Postby devildog » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:53 am

I live in Orange County (yes, behind the "Orange Curtain"[:D]), and I've witnessed nearly a dozen stores close up shop (MobyDisc, SecondSpin, Discount Records, most Wherehouse locations) in the last few years. There's hardly anything left, but I will admit that the L.A. Amoeba store mostly compensates for the losses ... it's just not close enough to be convenient.

The Bay Area is a blast -- between the Amoeba & Rasputin stores and cool little dives like Aquarius, it's become a biannual pilgrimage for me!
[/quote]

Hi Mike,

I have to go to Fountain Valley next week on a business trip. Is there any shops worth checking out in that area? Is the Second Spin on Harbor Blvd. closed?
devildog
The Jet Set

Postby MikeP » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:54 am

devildog,

Sorry, got the name wrong ... SecondSpin is still around, near Newport and Harbor. I meant the stores in downtown Huntington Beach and Irvine that closed -- can't think of the name anymore.

For what's left in that area of O.C.:
SecondSpin (on Newport Blvd)
Vinyl Solution (on Beach ... lots of punk and indie)
Noise! Noise! Noise! (on Harbor ... haven't been in ages, though)
Wherehouse (on Beach ... worth a quick look if you're in the area)
MikeP
President Am I

Postby Grunch » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:03 am

MikeP, it's just unfair man. You get to go to Amoeba at least twice a year. Man, the mecca for a record collector. I am planning a trip to Amoeba hopefully early next year. Any recommendations on the best one(s)? I was thinking San Fran so I could hit the two up in that area, plus other indie shops in the bay area. Do you know if Amoeba will ship to addresses if you are there shopping and want them to mail it home to you rather than check a 1,000 LP's. I actually know someone who would buy 100 CD's on a business trip and Fed Ex them home for about $70. Most people don't spend $70 for the CD's themselves, he would spend that much just to ship them back home.
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby devildog » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:17 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by MikeP[/i]
<br>devildog,

Sorry, got the name wrong ... SecondSpin is still around, near Newport and Harbor. I meant the stores in downtown Huntington Beach and Irvine that closed -- can't think of the name anymore.

For what's left in that area of O.C.:
SecondSpin (on Newport Blvd)
Vinyl Solution (on Beach ... lots of punk and indie)
Noise! Noise! Noise! (on Harbor ... haven't been in ages, though)
Wherehouse (on Beach ... worth a quick look if you're in the area)
[/quote]

Mike, thanks for the updates! I'll try to reach these if I have the time.
devildog
The Jet Set

Postby MikeP » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:49 am

While the L.A. Amoeba is the best in terms of sheer size and selection, you'll get more bang per buck overall going to the Bay Area. I've taken trips up there with Spaz and others where we hit SF Amoeba first, then head to Berkeley in the afternoon and hit the Amoeba and Rasputin stores that are right next to each other. Mod Lang in Berkeley is also worthwhile, unfortunately not within walking distance of the other two. After all that, there's another Rasputin fairly close by on the south end of Oakland.

Not sure about Amoeba's shipping policies.
MikeP
President Am I

Postby Quite Life » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:48 am

<br>While the L.A. Amoeba is the best in terms of sheer size and selection, you'll get more bang per buck overall going to the Bay Area. I've taken trips up there with Spaz and others where we hit SF Amoeba first, then head to Berkeley in the afternoon and hit the Amoeba and Rasputin stores that are right next to each other. Mod Lang in Berkeley is also worthwhile, unfortunately not within walking distance of the other two. After all that, there's another Rasputin fairly close by on the south end of Oakland.

[/quote]

Mike Great stores I know some of the people there in Berkeley Aomeba and Mod Lang on University. In San Jose/Santa Cruz go to Street Light Records on Bascom Ave in SJ and Pacific Gardens in SC. And Mod Lang is less than a 1/2 mile walk from the Telegragh stores. Just go down Bancroft right on Oxford for 2 blocks and make a left down University your right there.

cheers,
jr
Quite Life
Room at the Top

Postby skinnytie » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:00 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by devildog[/i]
I have been to Phoenix, Minneapolis, Denver, and Omaha. It seems these cities are doing well for keeping cd shops open. I have been to the ZIA shop in Tempe and it was busy. Recently, I was in LA and it seemed there were plenty of used shops when I looked through the Yellow Pages at my hotel. I know that in the mid-80s, Greenwich Village (NYC) was an epicenter for small indie shops. The last time I was there in 2001, it seemed a shadow of it's former self.
[/quote]

There's still a good number of record shops in the Village, but some of the ones I used to frequent are no longer there, unfortunately. One shop I recently found, Midnight Records in Chelsea, NY, had signs up that they were closing up shop when I first discovered them (this was back in March 2004), but they're still around doing a mail order business only now.
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby devildog » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:55 pm

There's still a good number of record shops in the Village, but some of the ones I used to frequent are no longer there, unfortunately. One shop I recently found, Midnight Records in Chelsea, NY, had signs up that they were closing up shop when I first discovered them (this was back in March 2004), but they're still around doing a mail order business only now.
[/quote]

Skinnytie: I remember Midnight Records. Glad there still around. Do they have a website? Do you know of a place in lower Manhattan called Stu's Record Shop? I found some lovely HTF items there a few times. I still think they are open as well. I hope to bop around the Village once I go back to NY to visit my Dad later this year. I want to see if Vinyl Mania is still there. They used to sell cds 3 for $20 back in the early 90s, if you can believe that!

I miss my beloved Venus Records. I found so much new wave vinyl from that place. I know they are gone.[:(]
devildog
The Jet Set

Postby beatschool » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:43 pm

<br>While the L.A. Amoeba is the best in terms of sheer size and selection, you'll get more bang per buck overall going to the Bay Area. I've taken trips up there with Spaz and others where we hit SF Amoeba first, then head to Berkeley in the afternoon and hit the Amoeba and Rasputin stores that are right next to each other. Mod Lang in Berkeley is also worthwhile, unfortunately not within walking distance of the other two. After all that, there's another Rasputin fairly close by on the south end of Oakland.

[/quote]

I remember Mod Lang being just three blocks away from Amoeba when I used to live on Derby St. in Berkeley. I walked past it all the time on my way to Amoeba.
beatschool
The Jet Set

Postby 2Nu » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:27 am

Any LI NY folk remember 'Titus Oaks' or the 'Music Box'?
What a great treasure trove of used vinyl and CD's
Yes I'll admit to buying many 12" promo copies there [:I]
2Nu
Room at the Top

Postby devildog » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:39 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by klgawx[/i]
<br>Any LI NY folk remember 'Titus Oaks' or the 'Music Box'?
What a great treasure trove of used vinyl and CD's
Yes I'll admit to buying many 12" promo copies there [:I]
[/quote]

Music Box sounds familiar. Never heard of Titus Oaks, though. In West Babylon was (is?) a good shop called Looney Tunes. They used to have alot of new wave/indie 45 singles. Anyone familiar with that shop?
devildog
The Jet Set

Postby Quite Life » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:51 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by beatschool[/i]

I remember Mod Lang being just three blocks away from Amoeba when I used to live on Derby St. in Berkeley. I walked past it all the time on my way to Amoeba.
[/quote]

When was this? I have never remembered Mod Lang being close to Amoeba and I go way back to when there was Rather Ripped and Leopold records in Berkeley. The only record stores that were three blocks away were Tower which resently closed on Durant across the street from Gypsy's and Steve's Korean BBQ. Leopolds used to be down stairs next to La Val's, but they closed just after Amoeba opened. There was a record store down the street going to Andronico's market I remeber getting booted out because I brought food in there.

late,
jr
Quite Life
Room at the Top

Postby Quite Life » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:56 am

Beatschool,

There was this record store that still sells real records on College Ave about 4 blocks from the Rockridge BART station. Do you know the name? Are they still there? Heck I might go ckeck since I am going down there to pick up Cal/UCLA tickets.

cheers,
jr
Quite Life
Room at the Top

Postby skinnytie » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:18 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by devildog[/i]
<br>
Skinnytie: I remember Midnight Records. Glad there still around. Do they have a website? Do you know of a place in lower Manhattan called Stu's Record Shop? I found some lovely HTF items there a few times. I still think they are open as well. I hope to bop around the Village once I go back to NY to visit my Dad later this year. I want to see if Vinyl Mania is still there. They used to sell cds 3 for $20 back in the early 90s, if you can believe that!

I miss my beloved Venus Records. I found so much new wave vinyl from that place. I know they are gone.[:(]
[/quote]

Devildog, the website for Midnight Records is www.midnightrecords.com. Happy hunting!

I do miss Venus Records as well. I got many things there that I never saw in any of the other shops. I had picked up "Metal Box" by PIL there for $18.00 back in my college days. What a steal!

I believe Vinyl Mania is still around (that was the store a few blocks down from Record Runner, correct?).

I never heard of Stu's Record Shop! Where is that one? Just when you think you have your own town covered, you hear of another place you never knew about.
skinnytie
The Jet Set

PreviousNext

Return to —Not Necessarily New Wave—