Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

A Translation Correction In UBL's Video Tape

Reserved for off-topic posts.

Postby savethewave » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:08 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by Jimbo[/i]
<br>OK, who let "Z" read Derrida's "Letter to a Japanese Friend"?

Did Jacques Derrida really die a few weeks ago from pancreatic cancer or did he simply define a new social and literary construct or context for "living"? Then you will ask what is living. Is Martha Stewart living? She does have a magazine by that same name so I guess you could say yes! She is indeed "living", unless you talk to her stockbroker and then he might say she is "dead" to him. Where do we then go from here? Where [i]is[/i] here? What is [i]is[/i]?
Alas, I digress...
Call it what you want "Z", but I don't think that old Jacques has been seen at work lately, thereby leaving all those old constructs in place after all.

The really neat thing about "Deconstructionism" (the not-so-new word for "Nominalism"), is the view that the meanings of words are completely arbitrary and that, at the end of the day, reality is whatever your little heart desires it to be. Now if you say something like that so plainly, you will be laughed at by most people. But if you then dress it up with some deep sounding French phrases like "il n'y a pas de hors-texte" then you can look like a deep thinking intellectual to the rest of us unwashed masses.

So if you were to follow your own philosophy, you would not be insulted by what savethewave has posted. Because how can you [i]really know[/i] what he meant?
[/quote]

Absolutely! I wish I had seen it before! This Z guy is one of those who says how things are all relative, and that nothing really means anything.

You know the difference between Z and a bucket of crap?

The bucket.
savethewave
The Jet Set

Postby Jimbo » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:22 pm

Is Stella the new "Z"?
For her sake, I hope not.

I was looking for something else and came across this thread from almost a year and a half ago.
YIKES! [xx(]
I have not seen a beat-down like that since "A Clockwork Orange".
And yet Z continued to come around. [8D]

Oh well, read and laugh. I did.
Jimbo
Room at the Top

Postby British » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:49 pm

I'm surprised Al-Jazeera doesn't have regular podcasts for OBL's messages.

Then they could host RSS feeds of him!
British
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:17 am

God almighty, I laughed out loud reading this thread. Thanks for reminding us about it, Jimbo! Makes me realize how much I miss savethewave too. *MAN*, what an *AWESOME* time we all had during that election year. At least I did. Fun as all hell. Good times, good times indeed.....

<a href="http://www.worldwildlife.org/cetaceans/index.cfm">I dig whales.</a>
MARV
Room at the Top

Previous

Return to —Not Necessarily New Wave—